Cloth seats & soft-touch interior

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by mjbrow, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:49 AM.

1. mjbrow

mjbrow Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 GTI
    I've had leather seats for the past 6 years, and wouldn't own them again unless they were cooled (ventilated). What I'm concerned about is that I'd miss out on the soft steering wheel/armrest/dash etc. Does the plastic on the XLT feel and look cheap?

I'd love to hear thoughts from people who have sat in both. If I missed a similar thread, post the link.

2. skibuff

skibuff Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
    XLT has an optional leather steering wheel and shifter grip with certain packages and it's standard on the Lariat. the center consul arm rest is padded and comfy. I don't remember the drivers door arm rest so that tells me it must have been reasonably comfy. The plastic inside looked to me like a typical middle of the line vehicle. It wasn't plush but it wasn't a Hyundai. The biggest thing I noticed that I thought looked cheap was the premium cloth seat in the XLT. They were comfortable just didn't look premium to me.

mjbrow likes this.
  3. mjbrow

mjbrow Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 GTI
    Interesting. I think they look pretty good in photos. I am definitely leaning towards a loaded XLT vs the Lariat.

skibuff likes this.
  4. Denver133

Denver133 Member

First Name:
    Denver133
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger on order
    I just wish Ford allowed us to option the LED headlights. Coming from a vehicle that has LED headlights to a halogen is going to be a change I am not favoring.

LARanger, Rinn69 and mjbrow like this.
  5. mjbrow

mjbrow Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 GTI
    I wonder if they are swappable.

6. skibuff

skibuff Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
    I don't like leather seats and didn't need any of the upgrades from XLT to Lariat. I bought an XLT with almost every option. Honestly I really liked the Ranger it drove exactly how I'd hoped. The only 2 small disappointments when I saw it and drove it were that the seats looked like what I would expect in the XL and the other is that the back seat is a bench and not a 60/40 split. It drove like an SUV or car and not like a stiff work truck, very smooth ride.

RangerFlyer and mjbrow like this.
  7. Denver133

Denver133 Member

First Name:
    Denver133
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger on order
    Im sure they will be. Depends on what FORD will charge for a pair of headlights.

mjbrow likes this.
  8. LARanger

LARanger New Member

First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford Escape Hybrid
    In general I find the options being limited by trim to be frustrating. For someone who doesn’t want leather, you’re forced to forgo certain options that I would have gladly paid for like LED headlights, B&O speakers, body color mirror caps, grille with chrome bars. It’s like they assume that if you don’t like leather then you must not like upgrades or options.

Rinn69 and Pinecrestjim like this.
  9. StAugKid

StAugKid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    I feel the same way. I don't like leather and I prefer the look of the XLT grill, but I cannot give up passive key, B&O audio and like the LED option. I'd even be fine without LED, but I've had passive key in my cars for the past 9 years and going back to a physical key to me would be like going back to VCR after using bluray for so long.

Rinn69 likes this.
  10. FordBlueHeart

FordBlueHeart Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Torr
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
    Probably not. Most vehicles now have the wiring for the headlamps built directly into the main wiring harness rather than as a separate assembly. So what I typically see is a physical spot for the LED module, but no pigtail for it.
    This is the same for vehicles with a front wiring harness. The harness is specific to the VIN.

11. BuiltRight

BuiltRight New Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ford Raptor
    In the F-150s, a lot of guys swap their halogen headlights for LED, but it does require special harnesses and such. It's about a $2k upgrade. Unfortunately, it'll probably take the aftermarket a couple of years to release a truly nice upgrade.

There is a company in St. Louis, Diode Dynamics, that's developed an LED replacement bulb that behaves like a halogen bulb, which maintains the light pattern of the halogen housings but with an LED bulb. I believe they call it the SL1, but I know they've been on backorder for a long time. We'll see, I suppose. That'll be the first route I try to go.

FordBlueHeart likes this.