Close to pulling the trigger. But unsure of which 4x4 and trim

Johnner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
so I’m very close to leasing a Ranger... the dealer I’m gonna use has two models I want - which is the problem ha. I can’t afford a Lariet with FX4 package etc etc

- option 1: XLT with FX4, 302a, Sport Package and sync3 oh and blacked running boards etc etc

- option 2: Lariat “stripper” aka no fx4. But has leather better lighting and imho better look inside. ($20 less per month)

What’s my problem? I want the lariet for the leather and push button start along with over all “Nicer feel” but I sort of am Concerned That the standard AWD system won’t be good enough for New England winters including my off camber angle steep driveway. As it doesn’t have lockable rear differential either :-/.

So obviously it’s my decision and I’ll admit a 1st world problem lol.

Way off topic but does the lane keep system perform Alerts only or also the ability to steer back?

Hopefully my question is too foolish.
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
so I’m very close to leasing a Ranger... the dealer I’m gonna use has two models I want - which is the problem ha. I can’t afford a Lariet with FX4 package etc etc

- option 1: XLT with FX4, 302a, Sport Package and sync3 oh and blacked running boards etc etc

- option 2: Lariat “stripper” aka no fx4. But has leather better lighting and imho better look inside. ($20 less per month)

What’s my problem? I want the lariet for the leather and push button start along with over all “Nicer feel” but I sort of am Concerned That the standard AWD system won’t be good enough for New England winters including my off camber angle steep driveway. As it doesn’t have lockable rear differential either :-/.

Way off topic but does the lane keep system perform Alerts only or also the ability to steer back?

You can set the lane alert to "Alert" you by vibrating the steering wheel or to also steer you back into your lane. It's in the Settings menu.
The Ranger is not an AWD system, it is a selectable 4wd, so you have to tell it whether to be in 2wd, 4wd Hi, or 4wd Lo. You might ask your dealer to do a search for a Ranger that has the locking rear end if that is a big issue for you.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
If you've ever had a two wheel drive pickup in the snow, you will opt for the lower trim package and 4wd. Studded snow tires help, but no replacement for 4wd. The worst vehicle I ever had in the snow was a ford ranger I drove from Texas when I got out of the Army in February. First snow storm, I couldn't keep it out of the ditch. The F150 I bought years later was better, but my wife at the time, took that over. I never really got a chance to drive it.

OP
OP

Johnner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
If you've ever had a two wheel drive pickup in the snow, you will opt for the lower trim package and 4wd. Studded snow tires help, but no replacement for 4wd. The worst vehicle I ever had in the snow was a ford ranger I drove from Texas when I got out of the Army in February. First snow storm, I couldn't keep it out of the ditch. The F150 I bought years later was better, but my wife at the time, took that over. I never really got a chance to drive it.
Got and thanks. But both Rangers are 4x4 it’s just that the xlt has fx4 package and the Lariet has standard normal 4x4 option.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Got and thanks. But both Rangers are 4x4 it’s just that the xlt has fx4 package and the Lariet has standard normal 4x4 option.
FX4 vs non-FX4 isn't going to make that much of a difference in the snow imo. The traction and stability control systems will brake individual wheels to ensure you don't get crazy one wheel slip. If you're still worried, you can always get winter tires as well.

Bottom line, don't get too hung up on the lockable diff. Modern stability control systems do great jobs at keeping you planted. Buy what you like the most (sounds like you like Lariat).

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
My opinion, get the Lariat. Forget the fx4 unless you really plan to do a lot of off road driving. Both of your choices do not have AWD, they are both selectable 4 wheel drive. I have a feeling you think by getting the fx4 you get AWD, not the case at all. I chose the Lariat over the XLT and don't regret it. I hated the fx4 option as it is to stiff for on road driving. Sure, I go off road but mostly to drive across a pasture on a farm or for hunting, but I don't see the fx4 option as needed for that type of driving.

I've owned 4x4s for many years, you don't need a rear locking diff. If you can't survive a winter with 4x4 I don't think anything will get you through.

On choosing the Lariat over the XLT. I originally wanted the XLT but the Lariat just has so many nice options like LED lighting and a nicer interior that I bought it instead. My Lariat does not have the fx4 option, locking rear diff or remote operated rear window. I'm sure I could survive a bad winter in OH, I've been doing it for over 60 years.

Last edited:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

The standard 4x4 is more than enough for winter roads. The fx4 is geared towards off road. If you will never be off road, the fx4 is a waste of money IMO.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Get the Lariat IF you intend on driving mostly on the street and don't go 4 wheeling. You will appreciate the extra luxury over a stiffer FX Package ride. Not for anything but those of us who grew up in the North (and have since left) drove 2WD vehicles without incident in the snow back in the day as freshly licensed drivers.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the FX4 and its just some extra doodads on the same exact 4 wheel drive system. Upgraded Shocks, a locking rear diff, skid plates and Hankook tires. Some computer aided stuff like Terrain Management and Crawl Control. Other than that, its all the same. I'd go for the Lariat and find a way to change out the annoying gauge cluster. ;)

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have the FX4 and its just some extra doodads on the same exact 4 wheel drive system. Upgraded Shocks, a locking rear diff, skid plates and Hankook tires. Some computer aided stuff like Terrain Management and Crawl Control. Other than that, its all the same. I'd go for the Lariat and find a way to change out the annoying gauge cluster. ;)
yeah - I did not want the TMC stuff - but wanted the locking diff. so I ordered the STX and added the locker. saved some $$.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
PS: I’m in southern New England (CT) and I only even needed to turn on the 4WD once this winter. (I bought it in January)

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
You can add the locker to the Lariat for $420

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just like Anthony i used four-wheel-drive once last winter. The year before that one is another story but I had no problems at all with just a four-wheel-drive vehicle with nothing extra.

You would have had to see my driveway at the old house but it was steep. Never a problem with the 3 1st gen rangers I had.

Last edited:

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager

I agree with most of the others. I had an XLT on order without having even driven one. My dealer called and told me they had a Lariat FX4 with most of the other options I wanted and to come in and drive it if I wanted to. What they didn't tell me was that it was at the end of the month and they needed to sell 3 more vehicles to hit a sales target. I took it for a drive and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse and agreed to add a few options I wanted. I liked the interior and LED lighting but it wasn't the color I originally wanted. I bought it and took it home that day. I'm happy with my choice. Go with the Lariat. FX4 is nice as a toy and probably won't get much use off-road but I bought it anyway. The FX4 suspension is fine but I have no experience with the standard 4X4 for comparison. My originally ordered XLT is still not in after 16 weeks.

OP
OP

Johnner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline
Hey everyone.... sorry in the delay but didn’t want to jinx myself ha.

Yeah I went with the Lariat “stripped” model. It has the factory drop in liner which I actually like! 265/60-18 tire upgrade? And towing kit.

And sorry about the fx4 questions. And thanks for the information and details. This is my first RWD biased ride.

Just got home and was actually worried about my drive as typically every car or suv or Ridgeline even, would have slight wheel spin - as you have your wheels turned hard and coming off of a incline road that has a decent bow to it for rain drainage into a semi steep driveway. It’s only 2 maybe 3 cars deep but yeah. Anyhow - I think I understand now what why suspension articulation matters. As I kept it in just 2wd and never had anything come up with zero drama. Oh most of our cars typically have a wheel fully off the ground when backing out.... so I guess have the drive wheels planted makes a difference ha.

That said really enjoy it. — now off for a ride.

Oh not a big thing as I use CarPlay but can you just buy some sort of unlock code for factory navigation? Or is it lacking hardware too?
Sponsored