Clear Coat over FX4 Decal

Bassmaster

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Looking for help on this before I purchased my Truck back in June there was a small dent on driver side on back
rear fender. Once I got it back I wanted to remove those ugly stickers. The passenger side has no problem coming off
but when I looked at the driver side noticed there is clear coat over the decal. So anyway I can remove this? Possible
WD-40 with Exacto knife to go around the decal. I am planning to put Ranger decals to replace them. I have a heat gun as well so hoping it will be easy to pry off with out completely destroying the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

mlosi762

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Looking for help on this before I purchased my Truck back in June there was a small dent on driver side on back
rear fender. Once I got it back I wanted to remove those ugly stickers. The passenger side has no problem coming off
but when I looked at the driver side noticed there is clear coat over the decal. So anyway I can remove this? Possible
WD-40 with Exacto knife to go around the decal. I am planning to put Ranger decals to replace them. I have a heat gun as well so hoping it will be easy to pry off with out completely destroying the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Should't be clear coat over it.. You're probably just seeing the clear background of the graphic. I was able to peel mine off easily, didn't even need a razor blade.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think your new decals need to be larger than what you have now for the Xacto idea to work. Even if the decal is the exact same size, you’re going to see where the clear was broken. This is a pretty unfortunate deal here.

OP
OP

Bassmaster

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Should't be clear coat over it.. You're probably just seeing the clear background of the graphic. I was able to peel mine off easily, didn't even need a razor blade.
I wish that was the case I can easily remove the other decal with no problem was edges around the whole decal. The driver side has nothing clear coated all around it. Ran my fingers all the way around it.

OP
OP

Bassmaster

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I wish that was the case I can easily remove the other decal with no problem was edges around the whole decal. The driver side has nothing clear coated all around it. Ran my fingers all the way around it.
I think your new decals need to be larger than what you have now for the Xacto idea to work. Even if the decal is the exact same size, you’re going to see where the clear was broken. This is a pretty unfortunate deal here.
Really don’t care if I see it broken I am going to cover it with new ranger decals. Just Hoping it will cover it all.

Hubcap91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The stickers are put on long after paint. Did the body shop have to paint the fender when they removed the dent?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The stickers are put on long after paint. Did the body shop have to paint the fender when they removed the dent?
If they did, there is no excuse in clearing over the decal.. Wow!

OP
OP

Bassmaster

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yup they did. Hope I can remove it with out butchering it

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I wonder if you could buff or polish the clear coat off the sticker. Sitting higher it would buff more around the edges. Then peel off. Go slow.
Will take some time.

OP
OP

Bassmaster

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I wonder if you could buff or polish the clear coat off the sticker. Sitting higher it would buff more around the edges. Then peel off. Go slow.
Will take some time.
Why kind of buffer you recommend?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why not bring the truck back to the shop that did the work for the repair?

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
You will not be able to remove the decal nicely if the bodyshop cleared over it. It will have to be sanded down and repainted. You will risk removing clearcoat where you don't want to.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
If it were me I would be taking the truck back to the shop that did the repair. Spraying clear over a vinyl is ridiculous.
I concur! Make them remove the decal and fix any damage their screwup caused!...