First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
Mine was ordered end of Feb, shipped last week. Maybe JIT, maybe else..

Lets stay present. What's your pain level? If there is a real, consumer reported, supply disruption, let those experiencing it determine the impact.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
it's like when I kept hitting refresh on my order tracker and the damn truck just kept sitting at the plant, times 10000

I pity the fool hitting refresh on his order tracker today :)

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I live/work in metro-Detroit. I'm about 2 miles from Ford's Rawsonville parts plant. They filled the entire plant parking lot with F150s about a week ago (I'd guess ~1500 trucks). Saw some people out working on the vehicles yesterday, so hopefully that's a sign some of them will slowly start moving.

It is pretty interesting to drive around here. Just about every vacant parking lot on the west-side of the metro area is jam-packed with F150s.

I drove by Michigan Assembly the other day, and there were quite a few Rangers sitting on the lot outside of the plant, but didn't seem to be any more than their usual supply awaiting shipment ?‍♂

Crazy times for sure.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
From my Retiree Newsletter:

Update on Global Semiconductor Shortage

May-05-2021

Email Share

The global semiconductor shortage is presenting challenges and production disruptions for the global auto industry, including Ford, as well as other industries.
The company is working closely with suppliers to address potential production constraints and prioritize key vehicle lines for production, making the most of our semiconductor allocation.
The following Ford plants will be affected next:
  • Chicago Assembly Plant, Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Kansas City Assembly Plant F-150 and Transit lines, and Michigan Assembly Plant will be down the weeks of May 17 and 24. (In every case except Michigan Assembly, this is a continuation of previously announced down time)
  • Ohio Assembly Plant will continue to produce only Super Duty Chassis cabs and Medium Duty trucks through the week of May 17 and will be down the week of May 24
  • Kansas City Assembly Plant – Transit line – will operate on one shift the weeks of May 31 and June 7 to complete early builds of the E-Transit
  • Hermosillo Assembly Plant is down through the week of May 10
  • In addition, Kentucky Truck Plant will be down the weeks of June 7 and 14 to make plant modifications to prepare for the upcoming launch of the next-generation Super Duty
Semiconductors are essential for new vehicles, influencing everything from basic vehicle functions such as brake and powertrain controls to electronic features such as infotainment features as well as driver assist and navigation systems.
For several months during the COVID-19 pandemic last year, many global auto plants were shut down or restricted production. Wafer and semiconductor makers allocated more capacity to meet the surging demand for consumer electronics during that period, creating a shortage for the global auto industries.
When global automakers resumed vehicle production – even more quickly than some expected – semiconductor supplies became further strained. Wafers have a long lead time for production – up to 30 weeks – further exacerbating the shortage. Additional twists this year – including a fire at a chip supplier facility in Japan and severe winter storms in Texas are driving additional production changes at Ford.
@FordOnline will continue to share updates on the global semiconductor shortage as they become available.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here's a question I haven't seen anyone touch on yet...I don't know which chip they can't produce without these semi conductors, or if there's multiple ones....but how are they starting these trucks to move them off the line and park them if the chip is vital to the start/ run process?
I thought you could still start and drive the vehicles. From what I read I the chips were for all the tech onboard like the cameras, lane assist, terrain management etc?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a question I haven't seen anyone touch on yet...I don't know which chip they can't produce without these semi conductors, or if there's multiple ones....but how are they starting these trucks to move them off the line and park them if the chip is vital to the start/ run process?
That is an excellent question - my guess is that they are prioritzing the essential chips needed to run the vehicles over things like entertainment, etc. From my understanding the chips are relatively general purpose and can be used for a LOT of things which is part of the problem. When the vehicle manufacturers shut down last year due to COVID, they shifted a bunch of the chips over to game consoles and personal electronics.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
These pictures really put it into prospective. o_O

8e8b1901-aebb-4cb8-b0fc-6bf734a542e1-KY2.jpg

ab3c21a3-b082-4494-80da-c3e38092a909-KY4.jpg

Here's a video of Kentucky Speedway showing all the trucks above just sitting there parked. :(

Ford trucks parked indefinitely at Kentucky Speedway, other Kentuckiana lots amid chip shortage

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Here's a video of Kentucky Speedway showing all the trucks above just sitting there parked. :(

Ford trucks parked indefinitely at Kentucky Speedway, other Kentuckiana lots amid chip shortage

Ford: Ok, we need vin 123213446 pulled from the lot cuz we got the BCM in.
Car jockey: hmmmmm…..

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ford: Ok, we need vin 123213446 pulled from the lot cuz we got the BCM in.
Car jockey: hmmmmm…..
Reminds me of this episode from Seinfeld....It's gotta be around here somewhere. lol

Seinfeld.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The American sheep demanded and complied with the idea of a shut down in the country.

Reap what you sow.

Rome didn't fall in a day and neither will the USA. However we are on that trajectory with the current state of the dumb mob being favored for laws and rule over intelligent thought.

I feel for any great grand children I may have, but I'll be dead and in the ground long before the catalyst occurs. They will just have to figure it out.

It is all one giant cycle. Over thousands of years vast nations crumbled and rose like dust in the wind.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I might add one thing; We are all promised two things in life. Those familiar with the term will understand.

Politicians (ALL of them) have been the true plague on society since their inception in this world.
Sponsored