Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
But on a good note. I see the price of our vehicles going up :clap:
Each month I get the Carfax report for my truck and when I see that the trade in value hasn't gone down in 4 months, I know I bought at exactly the right time.
Sponsored

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Looks like the chip shortage is now affecting GM's midsize truck production.

1616606711434.png

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And it just keeps getting worse!

It's Gettin' Chippy Out There: Ford's Semiconductor Shortage Worsens

Farley says. The second quarter will be even worse than the first and Ford could lose 700,000 units of production or half what normally would be built. That is on top of the 22,000 partially finished vehicles that can't be delivered to waiting customers. Even the second half of the year will likely see a 10-percent reduction in output. The shortage could cost $2.5 billion, the loss of 1.1 million vehicles—up from early projections of as little as 200,000—and the fear is it will stretch into 2022.
Some good news as Ford will start to manufacture it's own batteries for electric vehicles.

And Ford executives have realized they cannot take supply of critical items such as chips, silicon and battery cells for granted. More vital components and systems need to be brought in-house instead of relying on the supply chain. This week Ford said it was establishing a battery cell research and development center as a step to manufacturing its own batteries for electric vehicles.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-semiconductor-shortage-production-issues-2022/

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I've got about a half-dozen half-eaten bags of Doritos in the pantry that I'd be happy to donate if anyone thinks that'd help ?‍♂ ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

That post was January 9th I'm sure he's eaten them by now. ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I've got about a half-dozen half-eaten bags of Doritos in the pantry that I'd be happy to donate if anyone thinks that'd help ?‍♂ ?
Thanks for stepping up when the chips are down :clap: ?

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Al,

Ford learned this lesson....then repeated the mistake time and time again to single source a part only to have the supplier fail and halt production of vehicles. Also with technology....The Ranger driveshaft, single piece aluminum, was produced in house with a process to attach the ends called Magnaform. It was a huge machine which applied pressure and a magnetic field that put the ends on the tube. All was well for many years although the process was scary to me. The hum, the vibrations etc... Then the tool exploded and severely injured the operator....no replacement tool. Got one in short order and production continued...then this tool exploded too, but thankfully no injuries. So then the company got smart and had a stand by tool. I suspect that process is no longer used and is one of the reasons the 5G has a two piece steel drive shaft.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Years ago I worked on an AF Maintenance Depot whose analysts were utterly unable to learn this lesson despite repeated attempts. LEAN is what they called it when I was there and a big reversed NO should have been written across certain management foreheads with a Magnum Sharpie so that they could see it every time they looked in the mirror. I remember one time an entire production line had to be shut down because a piece of equipment broke and the scurrying around to no avail was an ugly thing to witness. Replacement parts, you ask? There were none because the component was no longer made and just a few days earlier a manager and his entourage had gone through our shop and thrown every single spare into the dumpster right in front of us. Scrounging up and rating alternatives cost several million dollars in lost revenue, and since a large chunk of that money was supposed to be awarded to the very people who had caused all this it was an instant crisis. Last I heard they were revisiting the same failed idea yet again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Possibly no new inventory until August. o_O

Chip Shortage Puts Brakes On Ford Progress

One Michigan dealer has created an emergency fund for its salespeople to draw from after that happens — likely sometime this month.

“We know for sure there’s going to be three months of heartache and hand-wringing,” said Mark O’Brien, chairman of Roy O’Brien Ford. “We don’t want our people having concerns about where the next meal’s coming from.”

https://technocodex.com/chip-shortage-puts-brakes-on-ford-progress/

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is what economic warfare looks like.:lipssealed:
Just when we were making progress to bring manufacturing back home. Think it's going to get any better now? :explode:
Sponsored