First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford ranger
Occupation
Fitter and turner
Please help my 2016 ford ranger ,brake fluid alert keeps coming up when car started,brake fluid is full,also park brake dash light stuck on,and occasionally goes into limp mode ,dealership has recently changed bcm ,and changed brake fluid sensor ,they still can't fix it,has anybody else has this problem
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sounds like a first. With that said there could be a possible issue with the harness or the cluster? Depending on how Ford did things because they are Ford it could be in the ABS module

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I think you are in the wrong forum with that '16 Ranger. At least the wrong category.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
The lucky Australians had the Rangers there before Ford brought them here in North America.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Not sure is the same from the US version, but both are tied together.

Since the BCM and the Brake Fluid Level switch have been replaced.

I would check the Park Brake Position Switch, easy check disconnect the connector on it and if light goes out - (Replace the Park Brake Position Switch)
It takes a ground to trip the light on the dash, if switch is faulty (not removing the ground when the parking brake is RELEASED) the light will stay on and the system reads this as the parking brake is applied,
I would have to dig some, but from a communication standpoint it may explain your Limp Mode issue. (The system MAY think you are in Park and Parking Brake is Applied), this would most likely tie into the ABS Module communication.

There is no Ground Point for the Park Brake Switch, the switch itself provides the ground, it's just a (On/Off) switch and has a single wire going to the BCM.

If light stays on - You possibly have a short to ground in the wire going to it, wire touching metal and providing the ground.

Park Brake Switch at the end of the Park Brake Lever, you may try cleaning it plus ensure it is not sticking.

1701338273363.png

or using a scan tool, monitor Park Brake Switch (PID) and Engage and Disengage the parking brake the PID should follow and match your actions.

other possibles that factor in:

Wiring to the Brake Fluid Level, sensor, but I would do a quick check of the Ground Point for the Brake Fluid Level Sensor - G-!!4
This Ground point is also for the Horn and Hood Ajar Switch, so I would see if horn works and check for the Hood Ajar message when the hood is opened.

G114.jpeg

Other Possibles.

ABS - Module, this module ties into the Park Brake (Indicator)
IPC- The module could have a malfunction that is causing the light to stay on.

I would say that this is most likely a wiring issue or the Parking Brake switch and being that they are shot gunning parts at it, leads me to believe they are not performing the necessary wiring checks to properly diagnose it.

You should be getting a code for this on the scan tool, and it should pick up a fault with the IPC, BCM or ABS - Self Tests - This may help pinpoint it down to a specific circuit,
My hunch from the info you posted, I would look at the Park Brake Switch as my first suspect.

Last edited:

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

I would check the Park Brake Position Switch, easy check disconnect the connector on it and if light goes out - (Replace the Park Brake Position Switch)
It takes a ground to trip the light on the dash, if switch is faulty (not removing the ground when the parking brake is RELEASED) the light will stay on and the system reads this as the parking brake is applied,
I would have to dig some, but from a communication standpoint it may explain your Limp Mode issue. (The system MAY think you are in Park and Parking Brake is Applied), this would most likely tie into the ABS Module communication.

There is no Ground Point for the Park Brake Switch, the switch itself provides the ground, it's just a (On/Off) switch and has a single wire going to the BCM.

If light stays on - You possibly have a short to ground in the wire going to it, wire touching metal and providing the ground.

Park Brake Switch at the end of the Park Brake Lever, you may try cleaning it plus ensure it is not sticking.

1701338273363.png

or using a scan tool, monitor Park Brake Switch (PID) and Engage and Disengage the parking brake the PID should follow and match your actions.

Wiring to the Brake Fluid Level, sensor, but I would do a quick check of the Ground Point for the Brake Fluid Level Sensor - G-!!4
This Ground point is also for the Horn and Hood Ajar Switch, so I would see if horn works and check for the Hood Ajar message when the hood is opened.

G114.jpeg

Other Possibles.

I would say that this is most likely a wiring issue or the Parking Brake switch and being that they are shot gunning parts at it, leads me to believe they are not performing the necessary wiring checks to properly diagnose it.

You should be getting a code for this on the scan tool, and it should pick up a fault with the IPC, BCM or ABS - Self Tests - This may help pinpoint it down to a specific circuit,
My hunch from the info you posted, I would look at the Park Brake Switch as my first suspect.
Awesome right up

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

1701338273363.png

G114.jpeg

Other Possibles.

I, for one, appreciate your efforts and willingness to share your knowledge.