Charge pipes, intercooler, one or the other or both?

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Been "researching" the above. Getting to where I want to go the bolt on mods route.
Reading on intercoolers, sounds like for what I'm wanting to do I can add one later. So I'm thinking the pipes and Stage 3 /AFE has 10% off right now. I see the big thing is AFE still has not provided the right size clamps.
Will the AFE fit any brand aftermarket cooler?
Seems like the Mishimoto brand does not get much love for quality
Then I found Monttune has a whole package at a reasonable price. Expect the pipes don't look to be a complete replacement. I'm guessing these guys know what works though.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Keep in mind that a better intercooler will not necessarily give you more power.

It will allow you to use the existing power longer due to being more resistant to heat soak.

If you're not doing a lot of towing or rip snorting around continuously, you may not need the intercooler.

The charge pipes evidently do provide a bit more power.

I myself have gone back and forth over the charge pipes but haven't made the jump just yet.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
CVF is supposed to have a new charge pipe kit out in a few months. That’s the one i am waiting on

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ditto the above. Larger pipes add a tiny bit of lag, as does the intercooler. All good, but once you do replace them, to get the best bang out of your buck, you'll need to tweak the tuning no matter whose you bought as a prerequisite! Upgraded exhaust and CAI added to the above, and a tweak of the tuning will become a necessity. Plan ahead, as all of this will set you back about $5,000 if you do the work. Then.... You'll find out you didn't get the best bang until you update the turbo and downpipe. Which, by the way, will also require more tweaking. Bottom line? Do it correctly, and you'll be delighted! Otherwise? Just so-so.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I ran into the same issues as the OP and looked for a solution to have the best of both worlds

Since I already had the AFE pipes when I bought the Mountune intercooler, I ended up using the hot side from AFE, hacking off the end and used the silicon coupling that came with the Mountune intercooler. Cold side I ditched the AFE and used the Mountune since the AFE didn't seem to be any better

OP
OP

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Thanks all,
Tune is a plan as well, might go pipes first then maybe an IC down the road

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'm happy with the Mishimoto pipe's quality and while I can't vouch for MORE POWER(!¡!¡!) it changed my truck's perceived response during acceleration (see also GFB DV+). I think I've changed my driving as much as the truck's airflow has been affected.

The custom tune I have likely made the modification noticeable and I'd only presume a change to the wastegate or whole performance turbo swap would compliment an intercooler upgrade or give measurable power gains now.

You'd be in 'void your warranty' territory for sure.

Meangreen92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Ford/Lincoln Technician
I installed the Mishimoto charge pipes and cold air intake. Very happy with the quality. Fitment was spot on. Did not do the intercooler. The Ranger has a large intercooler from the factory. No power to be gained unless your constantly pushing the truck and heat soaking the intercooler. The charge pipes smoothed out the way the power comes on. More or less lag I have no idea. It feels smoother. The stock charge pipes are pretty small and the rubber hoses are super soft. Could swell under boost.
Sponsored