Can I simply use take-offs from an FX4 package?

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
with 3 inches you'd be about level. I've never been a fan of puck levels, for no good particular reason, because I don't really know if they're good or not.

I will tell you one thing if you are going to DIY it - tread carefully, and don't separate your CV joint.

I have a replacement CV axle sitting here for front passenger to replace, waiting for the weather to warm, and to get the gumption to do it. The one I separated, and repaired during the lift install, is leaking grease, and I'm just going to replace it rather than fool with repairing it again.

TBH - I don't look forward to that whole process again.

Lots of threads here on installs, by smarter people than me that didn't pull their CVs apart.

I too swapped for Eibachs, but I didn't have the same issues as most with the FX4's. I thought they were fine, but I like the others better.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think the front will be too high.

Mine has 1.8" in front and sits close to level.

IMG_0803.jpeg

Granger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I went with a 2" ReadyLIFT leveling kit and got 1.5" height increase. I have a slight rake and it is what I wanted as I plan on having the occasional load in the back.

IMG_0020.jpeg

if I remember correctly from what I had read when looking into it, 3" would get you leveled but might be nose high with a load in the back. Of course if someone chimes in with a 3" leveling kit on their truck, listen to them.

Hope that helps!

Granger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I went with a 2" ReadyLIFT leveling kit and got 1.5" height increase. I have a slight rake and it is what I wanted as I plan on having the occasional load in the back.

IMG_0020.jpeg

if I remember correctly from what I had read when looking into it, 3" would get you leveled but might be nose high with a load in the back. Of course if someone chimes in with a 3" leveling kit on their truck, listen to them.

Hope that helps!
Original post that shows the height difference.
Got a 2" ReadyLIFT leveling kit installed and an alignment done today.

Not the straightest measurements but close enough

972FC7E4-9556-4701-8BEC-383D2CAC7ACB.jpeg

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
with 3 inches you'd be about level. I've never been a fan of puck levels, for no good particular reason, because I don't really know if they're good or not.

I will tell you one thing if you are going to DIY it - tread carefully, and don't separate your CV joint.

I have a replacement CV axle sitting here for front passenger to replace, waiting for the weather to warm, and to get the gumption to do it. The one I separated, and repaired during the lift install, is leaking grease, and I'm just going to replace it rather than fool with repairing it again.

TBH - I don't look forward to that whole process again.

Lots of threads here on installs, by smarter people than me that didn't pull their CVs apart.

I too swapped for Eibachs, but I didn't have the same issues as most with the FX4's. I thought they were fine, but I like the others better.
How much was the replacement vs repair kit?

Also OP, use a ratchet strap or cord to hold your knuckle up so it doesn't drop out and pull the CV apart.. I haven't made that mistake on the ranger, but I did several times on my subaru... 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:

ylwjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
How much was the replacement vs repair kit?

Also OP, use a ratchet strap or cord to hold your knuckle up so it doesn't drop out and pull the CV apart.. I haven't made that mistake on the romanger, but I did several times on my subaru... 😂 😂 😂
I didn't buy a repair kit. The first time, it was wonked up pretty bad, so I had to take it apart to fix it. Just used the same boot, aligned the bearings, packed it with grease, and closed it up with some steel tie things.

The new one was about $200 I think. I didn't feel like fooling with all of that again, since I take it off anyways. I'll just put a new FoMoCo part back on it and not worry about it.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so final unanswered question. Assuming the leveling puck on these FX struts adds 3", will the front be level with the rear? or will the front be too high?
Yep, nose will be high.

IMG_6043.jpeg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna echo what has already been said - the nose will sit too high. And I still strongly recommend NOT doing those FX4s with the pucks. Spend the money right and do something you won't regret in the long run. Buy once, cry once. 😁

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
For the love of the sweet baby jesus, please don't perform a puck-based carolina squat on your truck.

FUEPMvwKPhrhJuUr3QNST9GzyH304lgRDFMCK2zVpUE.jpg

Not only is a three inch lift going to stress the hell out of your CVs, ruin your ride quality, and limit suspension travel, but you really can't just modify the front suspension only, call it "a leveling kit," and leave it there. Different, conflicting spring and damping rates front to rear are going to cause your truck to handle and ride like shit, impact stability etc etc etc etc.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
How is it going to stress the cv's?
I had a 2.5" leveling kit installed by Ford, ride is nicer IMHO. Truck is level IMHO.
How does it limit suspension travel? It is basically an extension, should have same travel...

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2.5" leveling kit installed by Ford, ride is nicer IMHO. Truck is level IMHO.
How does it limit suspension travel? It is basically an extension, should have same travel...

And

You're welcome.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
For the love of the sweet baby jesus, please don't perform a puck-based carolina squat on your truck.

FUEPMvwKPhrhJuUr3QNST9GzyH304lgRDFMCK2zVpUE.jpg

Not only is a three inch lift going to stress the hell out of your CVs, ruin your ride quality, and limit suspension travel, but you really can't just modify the front suspension only, call it "a leveling kit," and leave it there. Different, conflicting spring and damping rates front to rear are going to cause your truck to handle and ride like shit, impact stability etc etc etc etc.
Sweet ride😂😂😂😂

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Please stop saying leveling kit, it hurts my feelings and makes me sad. You're performing modifications without adequate knowledge, experience or advice in order to achieve a look that just looks stupid to anyone who's ever driven a truck.

You're just pushing the suspension down. This forces the CVs to operate at extreme angles all of the time, and uses up all your down travel, so the wheel is only able to move upwards.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

And

You're welcome.
Interesting videos, although info doesn't necessarily apply to my usage, which is dirt roads to my house, moving about on property. This usage requires 4x4 traction, no necessarily updated 4x4 suspension. I put spacer kit vs lift kit on, and in my conditions, including paved roads, I feel it handles nicer, and I like the lack of rake better as well.
For those that are doing true off road wheeling, I can understand the geometry needs more/better attention. Thanks for posting.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Please stop saying leveling kit, it hurts my feelings and makes me sad. You're performing modifications without adequate knowledge, experience or advice in order to achieve a look that just looks stupid to anyone who's ever driven a truck.

You're just pushing the suspension down. This forces the CVs to operate at extreme angles all of the time, and uses up all your down travel, so the wheel is only able to move upwards.
Wow, you are full of opinions. Sorry you are so sad. I bet we could find quite a few members on here that would disagree with your statement "just looks stupid to anyone who's ever driven a truck.".
I am no longer a serious off roader, I need 4x4 for reasons stated previously. The "leveling kit", not my terminology but the manufacturers, does what I need it to, look better and it rides nicer in my applications. Maybe if you take up your sad feelings to them, they will change the name "leveling kit" for you... here ya go [email protected]
Sponsored

Last edited: