First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I use one of these to lock my drop hitch into the receiver. I have been using one for years and find that it eliminates the rattle and looseness of the hitch into the receiver.....gives a much more solid feel to the trailer.
The product you have pictured has been around in one form or another for awhile now. Nice product, but the major source of a bad ride are the springs on the trailer, and the "looseness" of the drop hitch into the receiver...even as little as 1/4 inch play transmits to a clunky ride.

mpg908_9_250.jpg

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Wow! A very different hitch compared to gen-y torsion hitches

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I use one of these to lock my drop hitch into the receiver. I have been using one for years and find that it eliminates the rattle and looseness of the hitch into the receiver.....gives a much more solid feel to the trailer.
The product you have pictured has been around in one form or another for awhile now. Nice product, but the major source of a bad ride are the springs on the trailer, and the "looseness" of the drop hitch into the receiver...even as little as 1/4 inch play transmits to a clunky ride.

mpg908_9_250.jpg
Essential item

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
From the website:
Great for taller or lifted pickup trucks including GMC Sierra, Chevy Silverado, Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Dodge Ram, Ford F150, F250, F350, F450, F550 Superduty, Toyota Tundra, Tacoma, Nissan Titan, Frontier and Honda Ridgeline.

Honda Ridgeline? Taller and lifted? I wouldn’t transport this hitch in the bed of a Ridgeline, let alone in the receiver.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The first problem I see with the Shocker Hitch is that it will act the same as any hitch that is inserted into the receiver...it will still have the "play" that is common to all unless you use a "lock" like I pictured above. Even with the "shock absorber", without the lock, it will still "jerk" and bounce.
The other reason that, although a nice idea to get you to spend big $$$ is that all the "roughness" and jerking you feel when towing a trailer is first the looseness of the hitch/receiver, and second is the fact that almost all trailers rely on a suspension that was used in the 1920's...a suspended spring that will almost always give a rough/bouncy ride. Travel trailer or flat bed trailer or box type trailer...pretty much use 100 year old technology. That lousy trailer suspension transmits along to the loose hitch in the receiver and you get a lousy tow. Called "road shock".
Easiest way to eliminate is to use a hitch lock as pictured, and up -grade the suspension on the trailers spring hangers, and/or add a trailer specific shock set up to it.
Without going into lots of pictures and products, google up ETrailer, and look thru trailer suspension up-grades.
A shock set up is probably the easiest and cheapest way for either a single axle or tandem axle...
Think of it this way...
Your Ranger weighs around 4400 lbs, has springs and shocks on all wheels/axles. Take away the shocks and what kind of ride are you left with ? A lousy one.
Take a 4400 lb trailer that only has some stiff leaf springs and what kind of a ride do you get...a lousy one.
Just got our new travel trailer and a shock set up is one of the first mods I plan for in the near future.
Used them in the past and they do help smooth out the ride.
And, a good shock set up will run around the same as that fancy hitch...probably less.

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
The first problem I see with the Shocker Hitch is that it will act the same as any hitch that is inserted into the receiver...it will still have the "play" that is common to all unless you use a "lock" like I pictured above. Even with the "shock absorber", without the lock, it will still "jerk" and bounce.
The other reason that, although a nice idea to get you to spend big $$$ is that all the "roughness" and jerking you feel when towing a trailer is first the looseness of the hitch/receiver, and second is the fact that almost all trailers rely on a suspension that was used in the 1920's...a suspended spring that will almost always give a rough/bouncy ride. Travel trailer or flat bed trailer or box type trailer...pretty much use 100 year old technology. That lousy trailer suspension transmits along to the loose hitch in the receiver and you get a lousy tow. Called "road shock".
Easiest way to eliminate is to use a hitch lock as pictured, and up -grade the suspension on the trailers spring hangers, and/or add a trailer specific shock set up to it.
Without going into lots of pictures and products, google up ETrailer, and look thru trailer suspension up-grades.
A shock set up is probably the easiest and cheapest way for either a single axle or tandem axle...
Think of it this way...
Your Ranger weighs around 4400 lbs, has springs and shocks on all wheels/axles. Take away the shocks and what kind of ride are you left with ? A lousy one.
Take a 4400 lb trailer that only has some stiff leaf springs and what kind of a ride do you get...a lousy one.
Just got our new travel trailer and a shock set up is one of the first mods I plan for in the near future.
Used them in the past and they do help smooth out the ride.
And, a good shock set up will run around the same as that fancy hitch...probably less.
Ok, i can really see your point on this. Checked out upgrades for trailer suspension.
How would i know, trailer ride travel with load, max load, empty so on. Which would determine at what angle to put shocks. I am good at remove and replace, but this goes into the modify page. I see leaf springs can be plug and play too. I hope.
So if i would improve trailer ride, i really like that idea, and use a gen-y torsion hitch, it should tow like a cadillac?
Thanks for the info. I am definitely looking to modify one if my utility trailers now.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human

mpg908_9_250.jpg
@Grumpaw , sorry but I'm new with trailers, a pic how this works/attaches?

Tks.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Grumpaw , sorry but I'm new with trailers, a pic how this works/attaches?

Tks.
Benny just posted a pic. Their called hitch anti rattle devices, stabilizers, locks...any number of names.
They run around 10 bucks. Their only drawback is they have to be loosened every time you need to take the hitch shank off.
If you plan on leaving it on the truck for awhile, like your out camping for a bit, than its no problem.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Some of you guys need to try out towing something heavy on a pintle hitch.

When you switch back to a ball you'll realize shit really ain't that bad.

Although.. if your someone with a damper it's probably hopeless ?‍♀

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
Some of you guys need to try out towing something heavy on a pintle hitch.

When you switch back to a ball you'll realize shit really ain't that bad.

Although.. if your someone with a damper it's probably hopeless ?‍♀
This! I frequently haul a 10,000+lb jetter with a pintle hitch and its horrible lol! For my hitch I just wrap the shank with electrical tape a few times in a couple places and it removes the slack and noise, It is also not permanent and its still easy to remove/insert!
Sponsored