California Smart Drive Event

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I received an invitation to drive the new Ranger (and the new Edge) at a local California Smart Drive Event in two weeks. I am going to see if I fit in it comfortably, being 6’3” and 205lbs. If I like the feel of the truck, I am going to order one ASAP. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Dang it, I would totally go to this, But I'm Out Off-roading that weekend.

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I received an invitation to drive the new Ranger (and the new Edge) at a local California Smart Drive Event in two weeks. I am going to see if I fit in it comfortably, bring 6’3” and 205lbs. If I like the feel of the truck, I am going to order one ASAP. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Awesome! I'm about the same size, so let me know how it feels.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I received an invitation to drive the new Ranger (and the new Edge) at a local California Smart Drive Event in two weeks. I am going to see if I fit in it comfortably, bring 6’3” and 205lbs. If I like the feel of the truck, I am going to order one ASAP. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Great deal. If you can, get some pictures of the insides of the console and also of the storage space under the crewcab back seat.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I also need some good pictures of the back so I can tell if it'd be spacious enough for a car seat. They are having a test drive event in Orlando later this month but I am not sure I'd be able to get off work. It is literally 2 days before I go on vacation to Orlando for Disney.

BAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
variousandsundry
I doubt you'll have an issue. I'm 6'5", 260 (w/36 inseam) and can fit in both Tacoma and Colorado (barely). Hoping the (cc) Ranger has a bit more room than either of those and enough rear seat legroom for my kids (not holding my breath).

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I thought this was on Saturday, not Friday. So I'm going to try and make this.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For some reason I thought this was on Saturday, not Friday. So I'm going to try and make this.

The event is Saturday. Today is Media only event and the Ranger is not even here

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
It was worth the effort to get there early as the line to drive the Ranger got deep behind me. The Ford folks were awesome. I took a quick spin in the Ranger on the street. It was a great ride. The truck was very sure footed. I only had about 10 minutes with the truck as there were probably 50 people in line to test drive three Rangers and I didn’t want to waste time kicking the tires and slamming the tailgate. All of them were 4X4s Lariats. The inside was roomy enough for my 205lbs 6’3” frame. I’m ready to order one, so now it’s on to the wheeling and dealing.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first impressions. I will have another opportunity in a few weeks at the LA auto show.

The truck I drove was a Lariet FX4 Crew cab

Interior: very comfortable, good seating position, and room. Everything is right where you need it, I didn't need to go hunting for any controls. The rear seats are decent. I'm 6'1” and I can fit behind myself, but I wouldn't want to take a long trip. The bottom seat is 1 piece, not a 60/40 which is kinda dumb. That means everyone has to move if you need to get something. There is some storage under there but not much. The rear window is really small. It only maybe 10” tall or so. The slider is really kinda worthless. Desperately needs a powered option.

Exterior: This has a nice look to it. Easy close tailgate. Nice ride height. Plenty of room for bigger tires. Feels simple, but in a good way.

Drive: Power was ok, but I think I'm use to 4, 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Your always pretty low in the RPM's because of so many gears. You don't even notice the trans shifting. These have start/stop technology, and again I didn't even notice it. You do feel the Torque though. I question towing a bit, but I really needed more seat time. It drives super smooth. But stiffer the my ’16 Explorer.

Mileage: Talking we with the Ford guy on the test drive, he said they drove it out here from Michigan. They stopped in Arizona to pick up a trailer. The test drive truck showed average MPG of 21.5 and that's with everyone flooring it, and driving no more then 40mph on the street. He said they got 25 coming out here, but they were pushing it pretty hard and fast driving out here. They were flying through Texas. He said he well excepted it to get 30mpg on the highway.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first impressions. I will have another opportunity in a few weeks at the LA auto show.

The truck I drove was a Lariet FX4 Crew cab

Interior: very comfortable, good seating position, and room. Everything is right where you need it, I didn't need to go hunting for any controls. The rear seats are decent. I'm 6'1” and I can fit behind myself, but I wouldn't want to take a long trip. The bottom seat is 1 piece, not a 60/40 which is kinda dumb. That means everyone has to move if you need to get something. There is some storage under there but not much. The rear window is really small. It only maybe 10” tall or so. The slider is really kinda worthless. Desperately needs a powered option.

Exterior: This has a nice look to it. Easy close tailgate. Nice ride height. Plenty of room for bigger tires. Feels simple, but in a good way.

Drive: Power was ok, but I think I'm use to 4, 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Your always pretty low in the RPM's because of so many gears. You don't even notice the trans shifting. These have start/stop technology, and again I didn't even notice it. You do feel the Torque though. I question towing a bit, but I really needed more seat time. It drives super smooth. But stiffer the my ’16 Explorer.

Mileage: Talking we with the Ford guy on the test drive, he said they drove it out here from Michigan. They stopped in Arizona to pick up a trailer. The test drive truck showed average MPG of 21.5 and that's with everyone flooring it, and driving no more then 40mph on the street. He said they got 25 coming out here, but they were pushing it pretty hard and fast driving out here. They were flying through Texas. He said he well excepted it to get 30mpg on the highway.

Feel free to ask any other questions.
Was there any off-road component? I got to drive the new Ranger on a old horse racetrack (think gravel and dirt). Even in 2H, not 4x4 mode, the smooth ride comfort was very noticeable. And I always felt planted on the ground, no chance of slipping or losing traction.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It was worth the effort to get there early as the line to drive the Ranger got deep behind me. The Ford folks were awesome. I took a quick spin in the Ranger on the street. It was a great ride. The truck was very sure footed. I only had about 10 minutes with the truck as there were probably 50 people in line to test drive three Rangers and I didn’t want to waste time kicking the tires and slamming the tailgate. All of them were 4X4s Lariats. The inside was roomy enough for my 205lbs 6’3” frame. I’m ready to order one, so now it’s on to the wheeling and dealing.
I was able to launch it from a green light after asking the Ford rep’s permission. It shocked me how fast it went from 0-50 mph. Yes I was speeding LOL

Reactions: Ric

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was there any off-road component? I got to drive the new Ranger on a old horse racetrack (think gravel and dirt). Even in 2H, not 4x4 mode, the smooth ride comfort was very noticeable. And I always felt planted on the ground, no chance of slipping or losing traction.
There was no off road piece to it, which doesn't bother me. What most people consider "off-road" and what I do is a bit different. I have a dedicated off roader, and building another in the garage.

A locker and good tires will take you just about anywhere you would need to go in this. I'm not climbing 10' vertical walls in Moab with a brand new 40k truck.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
There was no off road piece to it, which doesn't bother me. What most people consider "off-road" and what I do is a bit different. I have a dedicated off roader, and building another in the garage.

A locker and good tires will take you just about anywhere you would need to go in this. I'm not climbing 10' vertical walls in Moab with a brand new 40k truck.
Yeah, 5' vertical walls are pretty much the standard limit with a brand new $40k truck until at least the second scratch.
Sponsored