First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi all. I’ve done a rear seat delete on my 2020 ranger FX4 lariat. I am installing a redarc system and a lithium iron phosphate battery. I need to run four gauge cable from the battery to the rear of the cab where the rear seat used to be. All I see is a rubber grommet next to the passenger seat and the driver seat, or the firewall.

I don’t think there will be enough space to run 4 gauge wire in the door sills Anyone got any suggestions about the best way to run it
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. I’ve done a rear seat delete on my 2020 ranger FX4 lariat. I am installing a redarc system and a lithium iron phosphate battery. I need to run four gauge cable from the battery to the rear of the cab where the rear seat used to be. All I see is a rubber grommet next to the passenger seat and the driver seat, or the firewall.

I don’t think there will be enough space to run 4 gauge wire in the door sills Anyone got any suggestions about the best way to run it
HI Mark,

You might go through the rear Cab vents between the box and the cab back panel. Are you sure No 4 is robust enough? I have 6 AGM 6V batteries in the nose of my RV and the minimum is No. 2.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

There is an unused rubber grommet in the driver side floor board. This is one place I used to run a bundle of wiring.

I'd say at minimum its 1" in diameter.

img-2593-jpg.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I think Phil has the best idea in running it up under the truck then into the back via the rear cab vent area. This is a pretty big opening to work with. It is how I get juice from my control boxes to my rack lighting.

Picture was an "in progress" thing, but that bundle of wire on the left is 10 x 16 gauge. Surely its enough space to run a single 4 gauge wire.

IMG_20210416_191317.jpg

IMG_20210409_194550.jpg

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
HI Mark,

You might go through the rear Cab vents between the box and the cab back panel. Are you sure No 4 is robust enough? I have 6 AGM 6V batteries in the nose of my RV and the minimum is No. 2.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil

Thanks for reply. Whereabouts are the rear cab vents?

Thanks for heads up on wire gouge too. I'm limiting charging current from alternator to 30amps so 4AWG is actually way overkill.

Best

Mark

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
There is an unused rubber grommet in the driver side floor board. This is one place I used to run a bundle of wiring.

I'd say at minimum its 1" in diameter.

img-2593-jpg.jpg
Thanks. I saw same on passenger side. My biggest challenge in using those is getting the wire to the rear of the cab. Any suggestions how to route from there (2 x 4AWG and 1 x 12AWG)

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I think Phil has the best idea in running it up under the truck then into the back via the rear cab vent area. This is a pretty big opening to work with. It is how I get juice from my control boxes to my rack lighting.

Picture was an "in progress" thing, but that bundle of wire on the left is 10 x 16 gauge. Surely its enough space to run a single 4 gauge wire.

IMG_20210416_191317.jpg

IMG_20210409_194550.jpg
Awesome. do those holes go straight through to the cab. I have an amp (I think) right around there.

Could you describe/indicate in your picture where the vent is? Wouldn't running wires through the vent interfere with it's operation? I understand it opens and closes

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. do those holes go straight through to the cab
If you pull the carpet back from the wall (below the hard plastic) behind the passenger seat on the driver side you will locate an unused rubber grommet. Cut to size, or take it out, put throught the wire you want then seal it up with something like gasket maker.

In my case my control box wire runs from the front of the cabin, under the middle console, under my back seat, to this location where my function board is, then out that grommet and straight over to the hard plastic grommets of the truck bed (which I drilled holes in and installed cabe grommets).

IMG_20210408_144654.jpg

IMG_20210408_144634.jpg

IMG_20210408_151040.jpg

IMG_20210408_151030.jpg

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
If you pull the carpet back from the wall (below the hard plastic) behind the passenger seat on the driver side you will locate an unused rubber grommet. Cut to size, or take it out, put throught the wire you want then seal it up with something like gasket maker.

In my case my control box wire runs from the front of the cabin, under the middle console, under my back seat, to this location where my function board is, then out that grommet and straight over to the hard plastic grommets of the truck bed (which I drilled holes in and installed cabe grommets).

IMG_20210408_144634.jpg
Where did you buy that grommet? (I need to run cables to the bed too)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name