Buying a Ranger? Check for the middle tie downs

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I bought my Ranger last week and noticed the other day there were no middle tie downs. Honestly, I wasn't aware that there was a place for them until my friend pointed it out. This is something I found threads on here as well when I researched the issue once I discovered it. Those threads are closed to new comments so I made this thread. It seems at some point from what I read Ford stopped adding them for some reason.

I'm scheduled for my Line-X liner next week so I wanted this resolved before install. When the dealer rep called me to schedule the install I asked about this issue. A few phone calls later they told me they were not included. So I asked to speak to the sales manager.

He was hesitant at first. He told me he checked a few other trucks in the lot and they also didn't have them. I told him that I wanted them since I had been very fair with them when it came to the deal I made when buying. He told me they cost around $150 or something like that which is crazy expensive for a part like that especially when you can get the OEM parts for about $30. I had to be a little assertive but he finally agreed to provide them. So for those buying a Ranger, make sure to check that out and have them included as part of the sale if they are not already installed. Sure it is not much had I ordered the OEM parts on my own instead but for a truck in this price range I think the two middle tie downs should be included.

Anyway I just wanted to post this as info for potential buyers.

Edit: Thanks for all that posted in this thread for the info that helped me:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/missing-cargo-bed-tie-downs-arrived.4725/
Sponsored

Last edited:

y2krtaf

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Wow!

Just picked mine up 2 days ago,and had no idea this was a thing! Sure enough,mine does not have the middle hooks....guess I will be inquiring about a set as well.

FOKTOP

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Samething for me. Only had 4 and my sale rep said it only came with 4, to get the 2 other is an option. So I went on the Ford website and looked for an option that had the other 2 and found it in the 302A package witch is a $3500 canadian option.

Had to send him a picture of the package. Took 3 months and finally got a text from him saying that I can go pick them up today...

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
They get away with it when there’s a drop in with obnoxious rubber circles hiding the tie downs haha but yeah I spent about a solid minute fishing a bungee hook in the middle hole before I had to poke my eye in the hole to find out no middle tie down which I found extremely weird. Always good to see the pennies pinched on a loaded truck.

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
They get away with it when there’s a drop in with obnoxious rubber circles hiding the tie downs haha but yeah I spent about a solid minute fishing a bungee hook in the middle hole before I had to poke my eye in the hole to find out no middle tie down which I found extremely weird. Always good to see the pennies pinched on a loaded truck.
Haha, yeah. The middle rubber plug in the liner is what I used as a reason for them to add them. Said “there’s spots for them I. The liner, why aren’t they there?” Sales guy just said ok and ordered them for me. Even installed them. Maybe I just have a decent dealer?

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Haha, yeah. The middle rubber plug in the liner is what I used as a reason for them to add them. Said “there’s spots for them I. The liner, why aren’t they there?” Sales guy just said ok and ordered them for me. Even installed them. Maybe I just have a decent dealer?
Unfortunately the dealer I bought from pre-installed drop ins on the rangers I saw and the only other dealer i went and looked at a ranger had cover pre-installed so really I had no idea. But yeah you would assume if there’s a spot it should be there

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Unfortunately the dealer I bought from pre-installed drop ins on the rangers I saw and the only other dealer i went and looked at a ranger had cover pre-installed so really I had no idea. But yeah you would assume if there’s a spot it should be there
Mine was preinstalled as well. I even called because I couldn’t find the 12v power at first, thanks forum, but they still added them after the fact. It’s really not a big deal for the cost but I thought it said a lot about the dealer that they just added them for me with no argument.

FOKTOP

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
i dont get it
no tail gate damper and you guys will buy them like chocolate ice cream on a hot friday night, but get stiffed out of two tie downs and you cry foul.

you'll also dump stock parts in the trash to replace them with aftermarket goodies for the bling factor and not even think about the cost of that, but still moan you only got 4 cheap ass steel tie down rings.
Well I paid $3500cdn for a package so I want all that is included. No I dont mind paying for the tailgate damper because it did not come with it and is nowhere stated that I came with it. If you dont mind paying for stuff you dont get then its your call...

If people change some stock part to make their truck apart from the others the its all good too. Again I want all that I pay for.

Cheers

FOKTOP

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Vehicle Showcase
how do you know you paid for it?
did you see the build list itemizing you paid for 6 and they installed only 4?
Yes, it's listed in the 302A package. I know it's nothing expensive but it's the fact that I paid for it so it should come with it...

Annotation 2020-06-03 001216.jpg

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
i dont get it
no tail gate damper and you guys will buy them like chocolate ice cream on a hot friday night, but get stiffed out of two tie downs and you cry foul.

you'll also dump stock parts in the trash to replace them with aftermarket goodies for the bling factor and not even think about the cost of that, but still moan you only got 4 cheap ass steel tie down rings.
Not sure how a damper compares to this but hey ford drilled 6 holes into the bed and put in 4 tie downs, just doesn’t make sense that’s all.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Yes, it's listed in the 302A package. I know it's nothing expensive but it's the fact that I paid for it so it should come with it...
On ford.ca six hooks appears to be a Standard Feature included on 300A, 301A, and 302A.
  • Hooks - Pickup Box Tie-Down, Six (6)

Interesting that ford.com lists only four.
  • Hooks - cargo box tie-down (4) :crazy:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
On ford.ca six hooks appears to be a Standard Feature included on 300A, 301A, and 302A.
  • Hooks - Pickup Box Tie-Down, Six (6)

Interesting that ford.com lists only four.
  • Hooks - cargo box tie-down (4) :crazy:
They just didn't update the ca web site. 6 hooks used to be standard on all trim levels and they've been slowly updating the docs. The web site has a disclaimer that the listed specs are subject to change; only the window sticker is binding. Bottom line is that (as usual) the dealer who said it was an option simply didn't know what he was talking about.

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
i dont get it

Doesn’t really matter but if I can ask and get the installed for free, why not?

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Wow!

Just picked mine up 2 days ago,and had no idea this was a thing! Sure enough,mine does not have the middle hooks....guess I will be inquiring about a set as well.
I didn't notice till I got home, I assumed they lost them when they did the bedlner and meant to go back and ask but I bought right before the great covid shut down so its been on the back burner since march. it just looks funny to have empty holes in the bed. If ford was going to eliminate them, at least put a plug in the holes. after looking of the forum Ive tried to find them but they've been out of stock every time I looked. One of these days Ill probably just order them- less hassle
Sponsored