Bushwacker Trail Armor

Northlight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Got the Bushwacker Trail Armor on Friday and installed over the weekend. These are also listed in the Ford Accessories catalog...but my dealer said they are not yet available through them.

Trail Armor wraps around the underside of rocker panels...hard to see in the pix.

Four parts with pre-placed double-sided tape. If you get these, follow the instructions, as the tape cover needs to be peeled back part way in multiple places before you install. Tape covers also need to be pulled off in numerical order as you do the final placement.

Northlight

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
How much were they?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Any worries about retaining water ? If they don't already have them, I would probably drill some 3/16" holes along the bottom side.

1medic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew
Got the Bushwacker Trail Armor on Friday and installed over the weekend. These are also listed in the Ford Accessories catalog...but my dealer said they are not yet available through them.

Trail Armor wraps around the underside of rocker panels...hard to see in the pix.

Four parts with pre-placed double-sided tape. If you get these, follow the instructions, as the tape cover needs to be peeled back part way in multiple places before you install. Tape covers also need to be pulled off in numerical order as you do the final placement.

Northlight

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1498.jpeg
Any regrets getting these? Do you have any concerns with dirt and moisture collecting inside the rocker portion and being difficult to flush out?

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Any regrets getting these? Do you have any concerns with dirt and moisture collecting inside the rocker portion and being difficult to flush out?
I've had mine a couple of months now and don't see any issues with crap collecting underneath. After a long dusty offroad trip everything seemed to wash off fine.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
Just ordered on Amazon, PN 14099 $168.55 delivered.

Deleted member 1634

Looks like they don't cover all the way to the front fender, nor do they cover the bed portion like Todd was saying. Seems like it'd be nice if they went all the way.

I was actually thinking of doing a bedliner type protection for my rocker panels. Be more expensive I'm sure, but wouldn't allow water/debris/salt to be trapped inside and would cover up/protect any damage/scratched/chips that I've already incurred. Still trying to think it over though.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Just for the cab eh?, I find the lower front of the box takes the majority if abuse from gravel roads, wish they had something similar to put on there.
I'd go to a shop that installs the Clear Film protection and have them custom cut some pieces to fit the front of the box edge. That stuff protects well and wouldn't break the bank.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Looks like they don't cover all the way to the front fender, nor do they cover the bed portion like Todd was saying. Seems like it'd be nice if they went all the way.

I was actually thinking of doing a bedliner type protection for my rocker panels. Be more expensive I'm sure, but wouldn't allow water/debris/salt to be trapped inside and would cover up/protect any damage/scratched/chips that I've already incurred. Still trying to think it over though.
not sure about yours, my truck has spray on bedliner type material but same color as the truck along the bottom of the panels. Seems pretty tough. As for the ppl worried about these holding debris, A bead of good silicone around the inside edge when installing would prevent that.

Deleted member 1634

not sure about yours, my truck has spray on bedliner type material but same color as the truck along the bottom of the panels. Seems pretty tough. As for the ppl worried about these holding debris, A bead of good silicone around the inside edge when installing would prevent that.
I do have that sort of protection along the bottom of the rocker panel, but I'd like if it went up around the radius further and basically to the bottom of the doors. Since I've already noticed some chips in the paint in that area. And I do have mudflaps on. I think I just want to get as much protection as I can since I have dealt with rust a lot (living in Michigan and now Minnesota, both high salt using states) and want to keep this truck for a long time.

I agree that a bead of silicon would probably work just fine. But I still want to panel to run the full length fore/aft and cover the bed portion too.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I do have that sort of protection along the bottom of the rocker panel, but I'd like if it went up around the radius further and basically to the bottom of the doors. Since I've already noticed some chips in the paint in that area. And I do have mudflaps on. I think I just want to get as much protection as I can since I have dealt with rust a lot (living in Michigan and now Minnesota, both high salt using states) and want to keep this truck for a long time.

I agree that a bead of silicon would probably work just fine. But I still want to panel to run the full length fore/aft and cover the bed portion too.
Ya i get what you mean. I live in upstate NY we have some of the worst salt/sand roads in the US as well as I'm sure you do also... I know how you feel I am literally terrified of this truck rotting out. I was super upset when I found out the Ranger only has aluminum for the front fenders, hood, and tailgate. I thought it was mostly aluminum like the F-150 and I'm not sure why the hell it isn't. I agree that panel should extend much farther and have a separate piece for the rear quarter panel. What's your opinion on going to a car wash in below freezing temps?

Deleted member 1634

Ya i get what you mean. I live in upstate NY we have some of the worst salt/sand roads in the US as well as I'm sure you do also... I know how you feel I am literally terrified of this truck rotting out. I was super upset when I found out the Ranger only has aluminum for the front fenders, hood, and tailgate. I thought it was mostly aluminum like the F-150 and I'm not sure why the hell it isn't. I agree that panel should extend much farther and have a separate piece for the rear quarter panel. What's your opinion on going to a car wash in below freezing temps?
I was also disappointed that the Ranger is essentially a backstep in the evolution of Ford truck bodies. It would've been amazing with more aluminum. But I think a lot of people are still scared of a non-steel truck. And Ford may have been worried about loosing sales to that.

I've never washed a vehicle in the winter, or at least when it's below freezing, which is most of the winter. Partly because I don't want all the doors and windows and everything to freeze shut on me. But also because it's my belief that the salt all over the vehicle is inert (corrosion wise) when just dry/frozen. Once it gets wet/thaws out, then it can get to work. So the first time it gets above freezing after a long period of not, I'll try and squeeze in a wash just to clean off the majority of the salt I've accumulated. I'm not sure if it helps, or hurts, or is even the right thinking. But in the end, I'm not sure there's much we living in salt road states can do otherwise. haha
Sponsored