Preston

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a new Ford Ranger STX 4x4 last week. Looking for any advice for upgrades to make off-roading a bit easier. Unfortunately, I’m still in college so I have a tighter budget considering I only work part time during semesters (main reason I didn’t get the FX4 package). I don’t plan on any hardcore rock climbing, just some rocky trails to get to places for camping. I know I need to do something about the clearance in the front and I was thinking about buying the FX4 OEM skid plate and removing the air dam to take care of that (unless someone can suggest a better option). Also would really appreciate some advice on some new rims/tires (the STX package rims are so ugly!!). Feel free to throw any other advice my way! Thanks!
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a new Ford Ranger STX 4x4 last week. Looking for any advice for upgrades to make off-roading a bit easier. Unfortunately, I’m still in college so I have a tighter budget considering I only work part time during semesters (main reason I didn’t get the FX4 package). I don’t plan on any hardcore rock climbing, just some rocky trails to get to places for camping. I know I need to do something about the clearance in the front and I was thinking about buying the FX4 OEM skid plate and removing the air dam to take care of that (unless someone can suggest a better option). Also would really appreciate some advice on some new rims/tires (the STX package rims are so ugly!!). Feel free to throw any other advice my way! Thanks!
Welcome!

A FX4 skid plate is $495 before tax, almost makes you wish you got the FX4 package: Factory FX4 Skid Plate

The Offroad forum is a good resource for off-roading questions about tires and wheels.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Unfortunately, the FX4 package is the single cheapest mod that can double your offroad performance :)

If you didn't get a rear locker, adding one will cost more than the FX4 package would have in the first place.

That said, tires will be the most important part of your offroading experience, followed by a decent recovery kit, and some experience using it.

Nothing about offroading is inexpensive or budget friendly. It would most certainly be cheaper for you to go buy a 87 XJ and wheel that instead of a $30K pickup truck with aluminum parts.

-Debbie Downer

OP
OP

Preston

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Unfortunately, the FX4 package is the single cheapest mod that can double your offroad performance :)

If you didn't get a rear locker, adding one will cost more than the FX4 package would have in the first place.

That said, tires will be the most important part of your offroading experience, followed by a decent recovery kit, and some experience using it.

Nothing about offroading is inexpensive or budget friendly. It would most certainly be cheaper for you to go buy a 87 XJ and wheel that instead of a $30K pickup truck with aluminum parts.

-Debbie Downer
I didn’t buy this truck for the sole purpose of off-roading. I commute often to a metropolitan area for work and try to get out in nature some weekends, so I would be doing minimal off roading (hence another reason I didn’t go with the FX4). I don’t plan on off roading for fun but rather just to get to areas for camping/rock climbing, with the occasional drive through snow in the winter. With that said, I agree that I should start with wheels and experience.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I didn’t buy this truck for the sole purpose of off-roading. I commute often to a metropolitan area for work and try to get out in nature some weekends, so I would be doing minimal off roading (hence another reason I didn’t go with the FX4). I don’t plan on off roading for fun but rather just to get to areas for camping/rock climbing, with the occasional drive through snow in the winter. With that said, I agree that I should start with wheels and experience.
Try the truck as-is, you'll probably be fine.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Also, being in California, you should search high and wide for fabrication shops that specialize in Toyota stuff and offer to let them use your ranger for prototyping. There are A LOT of vendors out there who will send you home with free items from their prototyping and many of them are western US locale. A little gas money and a place to pitch a tent for a couple nights might get you some good stuff. Work the system young one, it’s there to be worked.

OP
OP

Preston

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Too bad you’re not closer, I’d give you a damn good deal on my stock lariat wheels and stock fx4 suspension since that’s all collecting dust in my attic now.
If you’re willing to ship it, I’d be interested in the suspension!

OP
OP

Preston

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Also, being in California, you should search high and wide for fabrication shops that specialize in Toyota stuff and offer to let them use your ranger for prototyping. There are A LOT of vendors out there who will send you home with free items from their prototyping and many of them are western US locale. A little gas money and a place to pitch a tent for a couple nights might get you some good stuff. Work the system young one, it’s there to be worked.
Thanks for the idea, I’ll have to look some shops up.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My biggest worry with stock is the clearance in the front. The air dam comes down so low, I may just take it off.
If it does drag and get beat up just take it off later. I hit a lot of trails in stock trucks or SUVs and never had problems as long as I resisted the urge to get crazy/stupid. Tricked out vehicles look cool but stock vehicles tend to do pretty well on even moderate trails.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Try the truck as-is, you'll probably be fine.
I actually agree with this, learn to put your wheels on high spots and keep them there and you will be fine.

If you truly mean light wheeling, then it will be 100% adequate in every situation. If you don't really mean light, then the 87 XJ is the ticket for you. Just drive it on the weekends when you plan on doing stupid things and it will cost a lot less.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A couple short videos of my stock '97 XJ, which lived a pretty hard life, on it's final adventure after I bought a 2000 XJ.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

Preston - one of the 1st things you should do is learn to 4 wheel with you current configuration, then change things to address shortcomings. You will find your stock truck is very capable, you don't have to go over every rock. I have an FX4 but seriously doubt that I will use the locker much. Take it easy off road, pick a good line, and you will be fine - 80% of the time. Wheel with a friend, and have communication especially if alone (Don't count on your cell phone).
Sponsored

Last edited: