Bucking/Surging Epidemic

_N8_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I have been having this exact same issue for sometime. Called the dealer when I had 60,200 miles on the Ranger. Was told out of warranty so it will cost me.

Brought it in yesterday and was told it is my torque converter and some other part about cleaning valves when they are in there. They said the truck threw all kinds of codes at them when hooked up. $3500 to fix but Ford will pick up $2,000 of the repair.

i did not see the trouble codes that the diagnostics spot out.

Am I being misled? I asked the dealership what happens if this doesn’t fix the issue? Am I out $1500. Was told they promised this was the issue and it would be fixed when I got it back.

I came back from the dealer and posted my problem. Someone directed me to this thread and I have to believe the EGR valve must be the problem as all the others symptoms are exactly like mine. Chugging/bucking. Mostly at around 25 mph and the truck is always in 7th gear. When I lightly apply throttle, truck bucks.

Suggestions on next steps? Go back to the dealer (who I like by the way) and ask to see the codes? Tell them to replace the EGR valve and we go from there or find the part myself and replace myself and then go down to the dealer and show them the fix and this thread.

Thanks so much for all the contributors on this thread. I was convinced it was a drivetrain issue of some type but not anymore.
It's a cheap & easy thing to rule out...
Sponsored

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
Thanks so much for all the contributors on this thread. I was convinced it was a drivetrain issue of some type but not anymore.
Mark, just as @_N8_ stated above, it is cheap to do and rules out a more costly "fix". If the EGR valve solves your issue, then you've just educated your dealer and saved yourself a bunch of $

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Part ordered through Varsity Ford and paid a little more to get it by this weekend. Will learn soon.

Is it really possible that the diagnostic machine spot out all kinds of fault codes that lead the dealership to believe the torque converter needed to be replaced and other work done. This is what I was told. Would the bad EGR valve affect the operation of the torque converter causing it to throw codes

Last edited:

_N8_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Part ordered through Varsity Ford and paid a little more to get it by this weekend. Will learn soon.

Is it really possible that the diagnostic machine spot out all kinds of fault codes that lead the dealership to believe the torque converter needed to be replaced and other work done. This is what I was told. Would the bad EGR valve affect the operation of the torque converter causing it to throw codes
Mine was bad for a long time before it got bad enough to throw a code. Even with the code, the dealer had no clue that it was this part.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Anyone know where this part may be in stock. CAlled several dealers and the ones that have one in stock have it on hold for a customer. Online parts place show they have it and then after placing the order i get an email 5 minutes later saying this part is on a National Backorder with no expected time of recovery

Thank -

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
Anyone know where this part may be in stock. CAlled several dealers and the ones that have one in stock have it on hold for a customer. Online parts place show they have it and then after placing the order i get an email 5 minutes later saying this part is on a National Backorder with no expected time of recovery

Thank -
Try ebay

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

yeah I would think it's possible - the 10r80 tranny uses a torque converter that operates more in lockup mode than previous converters, a lockup torque converter has to unlock in certain conditions braking being one, another possibility is if the engine is running like dog poop then programing logic might unlock the converter to protect the drivetrain and trigger the cel - keep in mind that obdII trouble codes often point to an issue but may not identify what the root cause of an issue is, this is where the "expertise" of the technician comes into play. As in previous posts I am not a fan of egr systems because they are troublesome, Ford's warranty coverage of 12/24 reflects what warranty the feds require for that part of the emission and the now more common use of egr is directly driven by tighter emissions standards. Once you introduce more complexity as with Ford's egr system you also generally increase the odds of failure, the fact that the sensor is out of stock could signify that the failure rate has exceeded projections.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/te...rd-exhaust-gas-recirculation-system-problems/

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
The device in this thread being referred to is not an EGR valve. It is the EGR differential pressure feedback sensor. If you ask for an EGR valve, you will not get what your need.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The device in this thread being referred to is not an EGR valve. It is the EGR differential pressure feedback sensor. If you ask for an EGR valve, you will not get what your need.
On a positive note at least Ford put most of the new and improved EGR system in an area that is easy to service . A water cooled exhaust gas recirculation system - now were are talking state of the art, ultra hi-tech.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I am ordering by the part number referenced many times in this thread. On back order, no estimated date of fulfillment.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am ordering by the part number referenced many times in this thread. On back order, no estimated date of fulfillment.
They were backordered when I ordered mine on 7/21 and I just received it on 9/10. So if you can't find one just prepare for at least a 5-6 week wait.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Once again, this forum was amazing!!! I have had the same issue so many in here complained about. I ordered the EGR Valve listed in this thread from the One and Only Benny and Levittown ford parts. It was back ordered but they got it here as soon as they could.
It did take about 15 mins to install. _N8_ The pics were very helpful and needed. The only thing y'all did not provide was the third hand needed to hold the light.
I installed the new value. Took a quick test drive and my 2019 Ranger drove like new. It was GREAT!! Can't thank each of you for the work and information. No way the dealer would have done this job for only $47 much less in 15 mins.
Thanks again and party on!

Jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 55000 on my 2019, have had the symptoms for maybe 10000 miles and has got worse over time. Truck would stumble from a stop with no power then suddenly accelerate once you gave enough thrittle input. Also had the issue with anywhere from 10 to 50 mph it would repeatedly cut power under a steady pedal causing it to buck/jerk down the road. I ordered P/N LB5Z-9J433-B on 8/17/22 from fordpartsonsale.com, got the notification it was ready for pickup yesterday. I went and got it today and installed once I came home. After a 10 minute test drive the issues seem to be resolved. The transmission still holds 7th at 30 mph but there is no cut in power like before causing the surging. I'll have to drive it some more before being certain, but at this point it seems that little sensoe was the culprit.

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Another success story, just installed sensor and runs smooth again. ?
did you recently purchase the part? I’m trying to find anew and having zero luck. Thanks -
Sponsored