Broken/frozen vent blower motor?

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Odd thing happened yesterday after work...

We had a warm spell where it got above freezing for 3 days, then dipped back down to the teens. Not sure if that matters. I also took it through a car wash on those days to blow off winter grit, not sure if that matters either.

So it was back to being cold last night. Auto-started my truck about 10-15min prior to leaving. Truck should have been toasty.

Get to truck, truck's cold but engine temp is warmer. Truck should be warm.

No heat pushing through the vents. No blower pushing air. Use touch screen and dash buttons, turning on, off defrost, vent, floor, everything.

No combo made the blower fan kick on.

I drive to gas station across street to fill up. Fill track, restart truck, wait a few minutes.

Then, an awful grinding sound happens... Literally sounding like the fan breaking through ice chunks... and the vent kicks on and I get normal heat with a normal sounding fan... Maybe just a slight whirring noise but I might also be hyper aware and that may be normal

So here's my question: could my fan have frozen and had to break itself free?

Is there anyway for freeze/thaw ingress of water to the vents of the Ranger?

Any theories will help.
Sponsored

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew

We had a warm spell where it got above freezing for 3 days, then dipped back down to the teens. Not sure if that matters. I also took it through a car wash on those days to blow off winter grit, not sure if that matters either.

So it was back to being cold last night. Auto-started my truck about 10-15min prior to leaving. Truck should have been toasty.

No heat pushing through the vents. No blower pushing air. Use touch screen and dash buttons, turning on, off defrost, vent, floor, everything.

I drive to gas station across street to fill up. Fill track, restart truck, wait a few minutes.

Then, an awful grinding sound happens... Literally sounding like the fan breaking through ice chunks... and the vent kicks on and I get normal heat with a normal sounding fan... Maybe just a slight whirring noise but I might also be hyper aware and that may be normal

Any theories will help.

These trucks are not liking this below zero weather at all, I think the carwash might have done just what you described. I almost took mine through the carwash the other day when it got up to 20 but was worried it would freeze something when it dropped below zero.

Was -10 here this morning and even after warming up for 10 mins, it was shifting weird for the first 5 mins of my commute.

Deleted member 1634

I wouldn't be surprised if water got in there during the car wash, or just condensation build up and pooling for the hot/cold transitioning, and froze. This is essentially the exact reason I don't wash my vehicles during winter. A lot of things freeze pretty quick, especially on the -36F mornings like we had the other day.

OP
OP
JeeperCreeper

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
I wouldn't be surprised if water got in there during the car wash, or just condensation build up and pooling for the hot/cold transitioning, and froze. This is essentially the exact reason I don't wash my vehicles during winter. A lot of things freeze pretty quick, especially on the -36F mornings like we had the other day.
Normally I avoid it as well, but I had 2 days of warm weather after the car wash.

Wasn't like I soaked it then freezed it.

If that's the actual cause and issue, it's still unacceptable in a brand new truck designed in the last 20 years.

And I don't run vents/fan in the carwash, just as an FYI

OP
OP
JeeperCreeper

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
whole different ball game when you introduce high pressure water.
Oh yes I def I agree, but this is one of those rain shower ones, not the high pressure touch free.

And it was a few warm days plus the heat worked that morning.

So it would mean it's retaining water and not draining... If that's the cause.

I can def tell the truck was designed in a warm climate like Australia as it ices in the worst spots.

Freaking cold man, I'm telling ya

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Have you run the heat for a while to get the interior good an warm then see if it makes the noise again?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Any theories will help.
Hi JC,

Ford requirement is for vehicle operation down to -40° and this included multiple vehicles and a whole passel of testing, so the Heater should work and the fan should not freeze up. What you present is certainly indicating ice in the blower motor fan. There should be a drain to remove water from the HVAC system. You can access the blower motor/fan through the glove box after removing the HVAC filter. Should be relatively easy to see if you have ice and water buildup...but even better....Take it to the dealer and have them investigate including checking the drain for function.

Does not matter if it was designed in a "warm" climate....the cold weather testing must be done, data collected and reports written as outlined in the various procedures to certify cold weather performance...

Best,
Phil

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've heard of the Ford 40/40 testing (-40F is the same temp as -40C) so I find it very cool that you have confirmed that requirement.

Thanks!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi JC,

Ford requirement is for vehicle operation down to -40° and this included multiple vehicles and a whole passel of testing, so the Heater should work and the fan should not freeze up. What you present is certainly indicating ice in the blower motor fan. There should be a drain to remove water from the HVAC system. You can access the blower motor/fan through the glove box after removing the HVAC filter. Should be relatively easy to see if you have ice and water buildup...but even better....Take it to the dealer and have them investigate including checking the drain for function.

Does not matter if it was designed in a "warm" climate....the cold weather testing must be done, data collected and reports written as outlined in the various procedures to certify cold weather performance...

Best,
Phil
any chance the drain tube froze solid an water/moisture backed up an froze?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard of the Ford 40/40 testing (-40F is the same temp as -40C) so I find it very cool that you have confirmed that requirement.

Thanks!
Hi Dennis,

We did vehicle testing but also had Cold Rooms and windtunnels with chassis rolls that could be chilled to -40° with the vehicle running and "driving". The wind tunnel techs hated freezing their pattoie off during these testing... Only a couple times where I was standing outside the vehicle in the wind tunnel at -40° and 60mph wind.....Burrrrrrrrrr!

Best,
Phil

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Hi JC,

Best,
Phil
100% agree with Phil. I have had clogged cowl vents and clogged HVAC drains backup water into the blower motor and HVAC duct work.

Changing blower motors in my Ford Flex and Edge was a simple job. I would recommend pulling the motor out through the glove box and inspecting/testing it.

OP
OP
JeeperCreeper

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Hi JC,

Best,
Phil
I'm sure the mechanical aspects are generally good in testing protocols.

I have no doubt the Ranger is an overall tough truck.

And I must say I still love my truck.

But it definitely has livability downfalls when it comes to long term, daily, northern arctic living.

It retains and channels ice melt terribly, the door panels always dump snow on the seats, even after brooming. The sensors don't know how to calm themselves down when it's iced over. There's lots of cladding and styled panels that hold ice. The windows freeze once it hits the teens.

I'm sure it's an issue on lots of new cars. But my wife's Fiat Toaster Renegade isn't as bad. My other jeeps weren't as bad. My Mitsubishi wasn't as bad. Again, I know some are older.

I love my truck, it's very capable, and I'll still recommend it over any other midsized truck... but it isn't the ultimate of everything.

On the frozen vent front, no issues. I didn't even autostart it today so see how it does on a cold start.

Seems to be a one off.

But thank you for the advice on how to get to the motor. I might peek at it, monitor it, and maybe drive the hour to the dealership for warranty work if it happens again.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
the door panels always dump snow on the seats,
I was going to say something about this too. I think ford engineers this feature into all newer fords. My fusion did this. I keep the snow brush under the seat an I wipe off the roof/door line by hand an open the door to get the brush an it always leads to snow in the seat. I have a 4ft snow brush in the bed but I usually back in to reduce the truck overhang into the parking lot an the rear is against a pile of snow so it's hard to get to.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
It retains and channels ice melt terribly, the door panels always dump snow on the seats, even after brooming. The sensors don't know how to calm themselves down when it's iced over. There's lots of cladding and styled panels that hold ice. The windows freeze once it hits the teens.

I'm sure it's an issue on lots of new cars. But my wife's Fiat Toaster Renegade isn't as bad. My other jeeps weren't as bad. My Mitsubishi wasn't as bad. Again, I know some are older.
My Jeep Fiat Renegade had all f those issues too. the windows would freeze shut as melting water would get between the window and the door felt and freeze there. if you break it free it gets worse. let it warm naturally and it isn't to bad.

The snow on seats is based on the door seam location to make it easier to get into/. out of. it is very annoying, and I take a quick brush with my hand over the joint to prevent it. if my hand can't brush it then it is to thick to fall there.

The sensors is new to me, but I didn't have sensors on my renegade.
Sponsored