Brighter XLT Headlight Bulb Replacement?

pdbwest

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
There are a number of reasons I regret not buying the Lariat. Headlights, Stereo and Leather are the main ones:). However, the most annoying is definitely the headlights in the XLT. They are terrible! I generally drive with my fog lights on at night as the halogens are basically useless. Does anyone have any recommendations for brighter bulbs/led drop ins etc ? I am not interested in spending 2K on a set of Alpha Rex's or other full assembly replacements.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul
Sponsored

pwrplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Check out the Auxito H11's & 9005's on Amamzon. They get good reviews.

AUXITO H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs 12000lm Per Set 6500K Cool White Wireless LED Bulb, Pack of 2, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada

Word is don't go brighter than the 12K's as they are too bright for the factory reflectors and will need to probably adjust the aim a bit so as not to blind on comers.

These are what I'm considering if I do decide to go LED but I'm still not convinced its the right way to go with these housings.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the Auxito H11's & 9005's on Amamzon. They get good reviews.

AUXITO H11 H8 H9 LED Headlight Bulbs 12000lm Per Set 6500K Cool White Wireless LED Bulb, Pack of 2, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada

Word is don't go brighter than the 12K's as they are too bright for the factory reflectors and will need to probably adjust the aim a bit so as not to blind on comers.

These are what I'm considering if I do decide to go LED but I'm still not convinced its the right way to go with these housings.
It's not just a matter of brightness...LED replacement needs to be 1:1 design...without which, the light source will not be in center of projection for the reflectors and cause massive out of focus glare that everyone complains about...also, it needs to be aimed correctly...

TheNorseman

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Grey Ford Ranger XLT, FX4
Occupation
Metalworker
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/2019-2020-ford-ranger-reflector-low-beam-gtr-lighting-csp-mini-

https://www.headlightrevolution.com..._hrt_19_ranger_brighter_led_headlights_hr0398
I’ve seen a video on these from the manufacturer, and I intend to swap them in when my truck comes in. I live in Alaska, and with the the days being dark for 3 months out of the year I need as much light as possible. These are small enough to allow the dust cover remain in place, whereas others are often too large.

pwrplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
It's not just a matter of brightness...LED replacement needs to be 1:1 design...without which, the light source will not be in center of projection for the reflectors and cause massive out of focus glare that everyone complains about...also, it needs to be aimed correctly...
Apparently the Auxito's are 1:1.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I used the auxito and they are bright.

AUXITO 9005 H11 LED Bulbs Combo, 24000LM 6500K Cool White, Wireless HB3 H8 H9 LED Light Bulbs, Pack of 4, Including 2 PCS H11 LED Bulbs and 2 PCS 9005 LED Bulbs https://a.co/d/1zSmibq

They are 12000lm per pair. Low beams patterns appear good from the driver seat, but oncoming cars get a lot of light scatter. High beams are super bright long range, but the mid range light coverage isn't the best. I'm looking for a quality halogen for low beams with a 6k temperature range out of respect for oncoming drivers.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
There are a number of reasons I regret not buying the Lariat. Headlights, Stereo and Leather are the main ones:). However, the most annoying is definitely the headlights in the XLT. They are terrible! I generally drive with my fog lights on at night as the halogens are basically useless. Does anyone have any recommendations for brighter bulbs/led drop ins etc ? I am not interested in spending 2K on a set of Alpha Rex's or other full assembly replacements.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul
Same here!
I'd be happy with some better drop in bulbs if such a thing is available.
LEDs seem like a PITA more I read

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
LED Drop ins are a horrible idea. All they do is provide glare in the reflector housing. If you want LED headlights you.will have to spend the money.

That said you can go with a.set of PIAA Extreme White bulbs. Yes they are pricy but they are brighter and will still be at an acceptable level to deal woth inclement weather

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
https://www.headlightrevolution.com/2019-2020-ford-ranger-reflector-low-beam-gtr-lighting-csp-mini-

https://www.headlightrevolution.com..._hrt_19_ranger_brighter_led_headlights_hr0398
I’ve seen a video on these from the manufacturer, and I intend to swap them in when my truck comes in. I live in Alaska, and with the the days being dark for 3 months out of the year I need as much light as possible. These are small enough to allow the dust cover remain in place, whereas others are often too large.
Those are the bulbs that caused me to write this article: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/cars-trucks/halogen-led-headlights/

The TL;DR there is that the human eye perceives cooler color temperatures as brighter, but those temps actually reduce your ability to see at night. Anyone trying to sell you an LED bulb to put in a halogen housing is a con artist.

TheNorseman

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Grey Ford Ranger XLT, FX4
Occupation
Metalworker
Those are the bulbs that caused me to write this article: https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/cars-trucks/halogen-led-headlights/

The TL;DR there is that the human eye perceives cooler color temperatures as brighter, but those temps actually reduce your ability to see at night. Anyone trying to sell you an LED bulb to put in a halogen housing is a con artist.
Good read, and good to know! That makes a lot of sense. I’ll look for a better set of halogens until I get moose lights mounted.

SDXLT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX4
I did the Auxito low and Lasfit highs. Both allow you to adjust to 3 & 9 once the base is seated.
The Auxito come with an Allen key that lets you rotate the bulb separate from the base to get proper aim. You have to do it outside the housing which is a PIA but gets the job done. The fans are pretty darn quiet too. I had to adjust the housings way down to avoid hitting the roof of houses. The Lasfit highs are much easier as they rotate once you lock the base in and can be aimed to 3 & 9 inside the housing.
I can’t afford 1500 for new housings and if I have to take the front end apart I want to do the grille and new dogs all at once.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

Thanks in Advance,

Paul
i wish i had the lariat led headlights also. one thing that may help is seeing if the headlights are adjust correctly. it would not shock me if cars and trucks leave the assembly with incorrect aim on the headlights.

TheAssuager

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercrew XLT
I used the auxito and they are bright.

AUXITO 9005 H11 LED Bulbs Combo, 24000LM 6500K Cool White, Wireless HB3 H8 H9 LED Light Bulbs, Pack of 4, Including 2 PCS H11 LED Bulbs and 2 PCS 9005 LED Bulbs https://a.co/d/1zSmibq

They are 12000lm per pair. Low beams patterns appear good from the driver seat, but oncoming cars get a lot of light scatter. High beams are super bright long range, but the mid range light coverage isn't the best. I'm looking for a quality halogen for low beams with a 6k temperature range out of respect for oncoming drivers.
Once installed, did the dust cover behind the bulb fit/close?