Brake warning light comeing on

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Anybody else have the brake warning light coming on and a message posted to check brake system? It is the same light that comes on when the emergency brake is set.

This happens to me after driving 30 or 40 minutes continuously, or perhaps 30 miles or so at highway speeds, and stays on until I shut the engine off. When I restart, no warning light. This doesn't happen every time I drive for this duration but does happen frequently. As far as I can tell, the brakes continue to operate properly even with the warning light lit.

Any ideas? I've checked the brake fluid and exercised the emergency brake to no avail.

I do plan on going to a dealer with this problem but I'm never near enough to the dealer to get there while the brake warning light is lit. I figure if the light isn't on I won't get any help since they won't see the problem.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I haven't seen this yet before but I cam say your best bet is to go to the dealer. Chances are a dtc was set abd should lead them in a helpful direction.

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Visited my dealer with no luck. No codes were set. Their suggestion was to drive straight to the dealer when the brake light comes on and don't shut the engine off. That was my plan anyway but who knows when this will happen again? Should I ever get this figured out I'll come back and post the solution.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Visited my dealer with no luck. No codes were set. Their suggestion was to drive straight to the dealer when the brake light comes on and don't shut the engine off. That was my plan anyway but who knows when this will happen again? Should I ever get this figured out I'll come back and post the solution.
Hi Pete,

My take is it is parking brake related, not abs.

Here is from the owner's manual.

See Warning Lamps and Indicators
(page 86).
Note: Indicators vary depending on region.
E270480
This lamp also illuminates
momentarily when you switch
the ignition on to confirm the
lamp is functional. If it does not
illuminate when you switch the
ignition on, or begins to flash at
any time, have the system checked by an
authorized dealer. If the brake warning
lamp illuminates with the parking brake
released, have the system checked
immediately

ParkingBrake.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
May be unrelated, but wasn't there a TSB regarding the wire harness near the shifter causing issues ?

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Finally was able to get to the dealer while the brake warning lamp was lit. The code says it is the brake sensor on the power brake booster. That is the sensor located on the bottom of the booster and almost impossible to access.

The dealer ordered a new brake sensor and I'll get it installed next week and report back after I've driven at highway speeds for a sustained period.

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Got the new brake sensor installed and the mechanic also discovered the grommet for the sensor was torn and replaced the grommet. I'll have to wait and see if these two replacement items solves my problem. If it does not I'll be back on and let you know.

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I just got this code P0557 for brake booster pressure sensor. Iā€™m at 35000 miles. I guess Iā€™ll bring it in. I also had no vacuum assisted brakes until I pumped them a few times. Kind of annoying. Really hate going to the dealership.

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
I just finished two 1000 mile trips at highway speed and no longer receive the brake warning that I had prior to the brake sensor and grommet being replaced. My problem appears to be solved.

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I just finished two 1000 mile trips at highway speed and no longer receive the brake warning that I had prior to the brake sensor and grommet being replaced. My problem appears to be solved.
Do you happen to have a receipt or anything with the p/n on it? I'd like to order one.

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
The part number for the brake sensor on my Ranger is FL3Z 2C444 B.
The grommet is part number F7UZ 2B176 AA

samayeam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RAM 3500, 2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Finally was able to get to the dealer while the brake warning lamp was lit. The code says it is the brake sensor on the power brake booster. That is the sensor located on the bottom of the booster and almost impossible to access.

The dealer ordered a new brake sensor and I'll get it installed next week and report back after I've driven at highway speeds for a sustained period.
Any chance you know or recall the code?

We have a ā€˜22 with P0556 ā€œBrake Pressure Sensor circuit range/performanceā€ that was stored in the power train control module when I read codes this morning. What Fe had the same brake warning come in 3 or 4 times on a 4 hour drive yesterday. I had it happen to me once, but there were no codes stored when I got home to check it. 2,849 miles on the truck presently.

OP
OP

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
samayeam, Sorry but I do not know the code. but note that earlier post said the code had to be read while the engine was running and the warning light on.
Sponsored