Brake lights

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I know some time ago brake lights during ACC was discussed, but I don't think it was ever settled... Do the brake lights come on during any form of automatic braking?
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Of course they do. That's why the Ford brake controller connects to the high center brake light to initiate the trailer brakes signal.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Of course they do. That's why the Ford brake controller connects to the high center brake light to initiate the trailer brakes signal.
The high center lights (along with the regular brake lights) come on when the brakes are applied with your foot. If a trailer is connected then the brake lights on the trailer also illuminate. I believe the question is: do the brake lights illuminate when the vehicle's adaptive cruise control activates the brakes and the driver's foot is not on the brake pedal?

Edit:
I believe that if the ACC senses something ahead and it is not being approached too fast, the ACC will let off on the accelerator without braking. If the object ahead is being approached quickly and letting off on the accelerator will not prevent your vehicle from getting to close, then the brakes will be applied (along with the brake lights). If I am not understanding the ACC correctly, I hope someone explains it to me.

Last edited:

tentspast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
If the ACC system uses the brakes, the brake lights will come on. I tested it out with my better half recently. However the ACC will rely on engine braking a lot, perhaps more so than the average driver would. I find myself going for the brake pedal when coming up behind traffic, kinda feels slow to respond.

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks for replies. I use cruise all the time, and sometimes "it" senses more of a danger than I would when in control. I just wanted to make sure lights lit up for someone following me when automatic brking happens. Confirmed on here that it does...
Sponsored