BOOM!!! 2022 Jeep Gladiator is the only midsize pickup truck on the Consumer Reports most unreliable list

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
When choosing which pickup truck to get, reliability is a crucial factor. It’s ideal to have one that has minimal problems — and can run strong for many miles and years. According to Consumer Reports, there is only one midsize pickup truck that’s very unreliable: the 2022 Jeep Gladiator.

However, not all trucks are unreliable. With favorable reliability ratings, Consumer Reports recommends three pickup trucks: the compact 2023 Ford Maverick, the midsize 2023 Honda Ridgeline, and the full-size 2023 Ram 1500. Also, while CR doesn’t recommend the Toyota Tacoma midsize truck, it has better-than-average reliability.

Only 1 New Midsize Truck Is Very Unreliable, Says Consumer Reports
Sponsored

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
When things reach cult status, nothing else matters.
...just sayin'

RedNeckLimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT FX4, 19 F350 Lariat, 89 Mustang ASC McLaren
I wouldn’t consult CR for a truck purchase. Notice anything about their top 3 recommended “trucks”? Yep, you guessed it, 2 are unibody and 1 is a coil spring rear. Their definition of a truck is something that won’t splash their latte when they hit a pot hole. I’d take the Gladiator over their 3 all day long if it wasn’t for the fact that I’d never buy a bailout Chrysler or GM product.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t consult CR for a truck purchase. Notice anything about their top 3 recommended “trucks”? Yep, you guessed it, 2 are unibody and 1 is a coil spring rear. Their definition of a truck is something that won’t splash their latte when they hit a pot hole. I’d take the Gladiator over their 3 all day long if it wasn’t for the fact that I’d never buy a bailout Chrysler or GM product.
Oh my god. Don’t get your huge c$&k caught in your door man. Glad has rear coils too..

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I wouldn’t consult CR for a truck purchase.
I wouldn't consult CR for anything. CR always presents there data in a way that makes the differences between one product and another seem as significant as possible. They never give you the standard deviation of the data that would allow you to make an informed decision. In the case of the Gladiator you don't know if the poor reliability means it is 97% reliable compared to 98% reliable for the recommended vehicles or the Gladiator is 50% reliable compared to the recommended vehicles at 98%. I would venture it is more like the former than the latter.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

RedNeckLimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT FX4, 19 F350 Lariat, 89 Mustang ASC McLaren
Yeah, I know the JT has rear coils. It also has a live front axle which makes it uncomfortable for CR writers. CR has a long history of hating on the Wrangler so it’s no surprise the Gladiator would be a target of their bitching. They judge all trucks by some car comfort standard that leaf springs or live front axles would never pass.
By the way, I haul my huge c$&k in my huge F350 dually 6.7L. I find the 8’ bed cramped in summer months but in the winter it’s a snug yet comfortable fit.

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I wouldn't consult CR for anything. CR always presents there data in a way that makes the differences between one product and another seem as significant as possible. They never give you the standard deviation of the data that would allow you to make an informed decision. In the case of the Gladiator you don't know if the poor reliability means it is 97% reliable compared to 98% reliable for the recommended vehicles or the Gladiator is 50% reliable compared to the recommended vehicles at 98%. I would venture it is more like the former than the latter.
Real world review. Guy I work with got his at the same time I got my Ranger. End of 2020. His has been MIA more than it has been driven. We’re approaching Massachusetts lemon law status on a few of his issues. He just throws his hands up and swears some more and walks away. He paid what I would of for a loaded Lariat

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know the JT has rear coils. It also has a live front axle which makes it uncomfortable for CR writers. CR has a long history of hating on the Wrangler so it’s no surprise the Gladiator would be a target of their bitching. They judge all trucks by some car comfort standard that leaf springs or live front axles would never pass.
By the way, I haul my huge c$&k in my huge F350 dually 6.7L. I find the 8’ bed cramped in summer months but in the winter it’s a snug yet comfortable fit.
Whaaa you got dat 6.7 bruh?!?!

So we just gonna act like CR is Lying and the Wrangler has no reliability issues huh? Why? Cause it’s the in the “makes ya feel like a man!” Category? F any and all Fiat Stalantigmite piles of junk.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dave,

Yep...CR has the answer, and then generates the data to support the answer. Unreliable as always but they do sell a lot of magazines, etc.

best,
Phil

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I'm not at all surprised. My wife has a RHD 2016 JKU that she sadly relies on for work. It breaks down so frequently.
Sponsored