Board across the back of the bed?

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Has anyone cut a board for the slots near the rear of the bed? Something like a 2x8 to go across the bed? I had one years ago in a Dodge Dakota and it was really helpful. The Ranger slots look too wide and too shallow.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you need the thickness of two boards to fit the width of the slots. No the slots are not too shallow the boards fit firmly. The 2nd board isn't as wide so you cannot see it in this view.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Yes, you need the thickness of two boards to fit the width of the slots. No the slots are not too shallow the boards fit firmly. The 2nd board isn't as wide so you cannot see it in this view.

IMG_0914.jpeg
So, is that the thickness of two, 1.5" boards, 3" total?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
More or less, one is a standard 2x8 the other a 2x6. Standard 2X's measure somewhat less than a full 2 inches.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I guess one could cut the second pieces so they only fit on ends of the first board. Say 4". To fill gap but not add weight of second board.
Good suggestion OP.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The style side box of the 4G Ranger had similar feature and it required two different width boards of 2 x lumber I used 2x6s to clear the wheel house inner fender. My house was framed in 2x6s and these were construction cutoffs. Since my current 5G Ranger is wider, I will offer up these for any 4G Ranger members for the bargain price of $250 each :)

bed boards.jpg

Better to go to Home Depot and get a couple cut to length! Notice the furniture grade lumber I used, eh? NOT! Actually these 2x6 were from the lumber delivered to the new house and the framing crew rejected them of too poor quality and the lumber company did not want them back when replacing with the quality my framer wanted so they gave them to me.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I guess one could cut the second pieces so they only fit on ends of the first board. Say 4". To fill gap but not add weight of second board.
Good suggestion OP.
That's what I did when I made my lumber rack

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just used one board, works fine. I've also got a spray in bed liner, the extra thickness might be more important for an unlined bed?

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone cut a board for the slots near the rear of the bed? Something like a 2x8 to go across the bed? I had one years ago in a Dodge Dakota and it was really helpful. The Ranger slots look too wide and too shallow.
I notice that the F-150 trucks and some others have an OEM bed divider accessory that looks pretty handy. Unfortunately, these do not seem to be available for the Ranger, but obviously some carefully cut boards will do the same job and would be helpful for stacking stuff near the tailgate so that it won't roll around....

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I notice that the F-150 trucks and some others have an OEM bed divider accessory that looks pretty handy. Unfortunately, these do not seem to be available for the Ranger, but obviously some carefully cut boards will do the same job and would be helpful for stacking stuff near the tailgate so that it won't roll around....
If you get a bed extender they do the same thing when folded in. I haven't used my bed extender a lot, but when I have it has been very handy. It actually makes it a little over a 7' bed with it swung out.

OP
OP
FX4inDE

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

IMG_0914.jpeg
Thank you. That's exactly what I want to do....with a couple notches for fishing poles. Just to hold a chair and tackle box back there instead of the backseat.

OP
OP
FX4inDE

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thank you. That's exactly what I want to do....with a couple notches for fishing poles. Just to hold a chair and tackle box back there instead of the backseat.
62.25" was a touch too tight with the spray-in factory liner. I shaved a little more off and added some 1x on the ends to snug it up in the slot.

Truck bed board.jpg