BMW RAPING DRIVERS $18/mo for heated seats

Strobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Does it cost this for those who lease the vehicles or finance/purchase them?

I would never subscribe to something that my property already has equipped… a lease I could imagine the justification for, but not to owners.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Depends on where you live. In Georgia, I only need heated seats from maybe November through February. At $18 a month, I could rent them for those four months over five years cheaper than buying them, since they are usually a $500+ option. Plus, being able to subscribe to the options you really want may eliminate the situation where you have to bundle a bunch of options you don’t want just to get the one you do. For example, like
when you have to buy navigation just to get XM radio.
I use mine at least 8 months here. The only time they're not on are days like this week when it's 115 outside. Otherwise I have them on as they feel good on my back and are a built in heating pad. If they (Ford) decide to start charging I'll just buy some aftermarket ones that plug into the 12v. There's some really good ones out there now for not a lot of money.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
The question becomes will you still pay for the hardware plus the license cost. Toyota is already trying this for remote start or some key fob tech. It's a matter of time before they all start pulling this shit

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i think im at a point where i feel like anything that seems too ridiculous to fathom must be the new reality.
pretty soon we will get taxed on passing gas by the epa, fees for adjusting rear view mirror... if the krauts send me an invite to pay to use the seat warmers I will have to mail a letter back with a picture of me laughing at them.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
You think the used car market is hot now, no pun intended. Wait until people will be buying used to avoid this subscription service nonsense.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I use mine at least 8 months here. The only time they're not on are days like this week when it's 115 outside. Otherwise I have them on as they feel good on my back and are a built in heating pad. If they (Ford) decide to start charging I'll just buy some aftermarket ones that plug into the 12v. There's some really good ones out there now for not a lot of money.
This ^^

My grocery-getter has heated seats and that heat on the lower back feels great, even if it’s not cold enough to need the heater on. I can certainly see companies like Carhartt adding this option to their seat covers (maybe they already have it?).

Or maybe it’s time for a DeWalt heated vest. There are two things I like spending money on - my Ranger and DeWalt tools.

What? It’s possible to belong to two different cults at the same time!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The question becomes will you still pay for the hardware plus the license cost. Toyota is already trying this for remote start or some key fob tech. It's a matter of time before they all start pulling this shit
This right here.

I'd gladly pay the $400ish "lifetime" subscription if I didn't have to pay for the cost of the hardware when I purchase the car. But I'm not paying both.

"You will own nothing and you will like it."

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
I mean how long until we have to watch a 15 second ad upon starting up our vehicles and the only way to get out of the ads is to subscribe to the "premium package" that unlocks all of the features on our vehicle that would otherwise be hidden behind the ad wall.

Tesla will be the first to do it and the cronies will think it is an awesome way to save a few bucks on stuff "they wouldn't use anyways so why bother paying for it the ads aren't THAT annoying"

You were just trying to run to the store to grab your government cheese and BAM you are sitting there listening to an ad for presidential hopeful Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It will be like a TV subscription.

You will have to subscribe to a package to get the one feature you want.

If you want heated seats for cold weather you will also have to get the A/C package because the defroster works much better when the A/C is used to dry the air.

You want music? Terrestrial radio is $5, XM is $10, and it is $15 to listen to your own music over Carplay/AA. But you'll also need to add the Charging package if you want to charge your phone while using it for music.

Kinda like the manufacturers do now with option packages, except you'll never actually own it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond