Blown Trans Club?

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
My 2019 is at the dealer with a possible tranny issue. I was climbing a highway mountain pass yesterday at 65mph when I suddenly lost power and had the wrench light come on. I couldn't maintain 55mph and it dropped down to 6th gear, which should've been 70mph in 8th or 9th gear.

Once I cleared the summit and headed back down the other side, it moved to 10th gear and ran perfectly fine...

...until I came to the stop light at the bottom of the canyon. As the truck went from 4th down to 1st gear, it bucked violently as it down shifted.

I then had no power upon acceleration and ran with high RPMs just to take it straight to the dealership a few miles away. They were trying to get it into a mechanic this afternoon, but I didn't hear what they found.

I was hoping it was a hose on the turbo or something, but the person who took my keys seemed to think it may be the transmission.

It's a 2019 purchased in 01/19 with 37,000 miles.

Hopefully whatever it is gets covered by the 5yr powertrain warranty 🤞

The heater core went out the first month I owned it, but it's been flawless other than that.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing you have a warranty...me not so lucky...welcome to the club...

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
thread title makes me certain i don't want to be in this club.
Not this month or ever.

Does anyone have ideas on how to minimize this risk with the factory transmission? I'd like to think I don't abuse my truck outside of it's mechanical design, but if a simple fluid pan and valve body upgrade can add years and 10's of thousands of miles I'd entertain it.

General browsing of YouTube videos for this trans usually show destroyed examples due to crazy high horsepower abuse.

I can't justify a full on performance built trans at over $6500 before install but dropping/replacing the pan and swapping the valve body with a programming mod might be preventative.

I was open to going to the PPE pan sometime after 50K miles but if the failed 10 speed issue becomes more common I may expand the project.

The R5G forum transmission dip stick is going in as soon as becomes available though

Last edited:

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Start by throwing the factory 150k fluid change right out the window.

Drain and fill around 30k, filter replace at 60. (If not sooner)

Get the debris out of there and the additives refreshed.

The PPE pan is nice, not strictly necessary at lest as far as cooling goes. The cooling system on this truck is up to the task and does a very good job of keeping the trans in a very narrow range. That being said, I'm doing the shallow pan almost strictly for the drain plug as I follow a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule and a drain plug is much easier than a fluid pump.

JMO

Last edited:

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Start by throwing the factory 150k fluid change right out the window.

Drain and fill around 30k, filter replace at 60. (If not sooner)

Get the debris out of there and the additives refreshed.

The PPE pan is nice, not strictly necessary at lest as far as cooling goes. The cooling system on this truck is up to the task and does a very good job of keeping the trans in a very narrow range. That being said, I'm doing the shallow pan almost strictly for the drain plug as I follow a pretty aggressive maintenance schedule and a drain plug is much easier than a fluid pump.

JMO
I didn't even wait that long. I changed all my fluids (Transmission/both diffs/transfer case) the first month I owned it, then again at about 20 000 miles.
And for what it's worth, when I changed the fluid in the transfer case the first time, all the bucking/surging/hesitation etc. disappeared.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I didn't even wait that long. I changed all my fluids (Transmission/both diffs/transfer case) the first month I owned it, then again at about 20 000 miles.
And for what it's worth, when I changed the fluid in the transfer case the first time, all the bucking/surging/hesitation etc. disappeared.

To be fair, its not actually what I'm doing either. But it is a bit more resonable than what I'm doing, which is, suck out what I can with a pump every 10K and refill.

I've got my PPE pan sitting here, so I can quit using the vacuum pump, which can be a bit of a pain, and just have a drain plug. I'm at almost 40K so I'm going to go ahead and do the filter now instead of waiting since I'll have the pan down. But I will continue on the 10K drains most likely or I might do 15K since I'll be swapping more of the fluid at a time with the drain plug.

I also use some snake oil, but I don't really talk about it because I have nothing to back up its use other than it seemed to cure a bit of the 10R80 clunkiness for me, and I trust the company that makes it.

--Edited to add--

The frequent changes (for me) are not about the ULV fluid either. From what I've seen, it is pretty robust. But there is a reason Ford went to the trouble to have what in transmission terms is a 'really nice' filter on this unit. They went to pretty great lengths to keep crud out of the fluid, and with 10K changes, I hope I'm helping that along and keeping the most crud out of the valve body/solenoids that I can. I just think that this thing is a advanced enough to the point that you start getting crud where it doesn't belong, and bad things start happening.

Last edited:

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
To be fair, its not actually what I'm doing either. But it is a bit more resonable than what I'm doing, which is, suck out what I can with a pump every 10K and refill.

I've got my PPE pan sitting here, so I can quit using the vacuum pump, which can be a bit of a pain, and just have a drain plug. I'm at almost 40K so I'm going to go ahead and do the filter now instead of waiting since I'll have the pan down. But I will continue on the 10K drains most likely or I might do 15K since I'll be swapping more of the fluid at a time with the drain plug.

I also use some snake oil, but I don't really talk about it because I have nothing to back up its use other than it seemed to cure a bit of the 10R80 clunkiness for me, and I trust the company that makes it.

--Edited to add--

The frequent changes (for me) are not about the ULV fluid either. From what I've seen, it is pretty robust. But there is a reason Ford went to the trouble to have what in transmission terms is a 'really nice' filter on this unit. They went to pretty great lengths to keep crud out of the fluid, and with 10K changes, I hope I'm helping that along and keeping the most crud out of the valve body/solenoids that I can. I just think that this thing is a advanced enough to the point that you start getting crud where it doesn't belong, and bad things start happening.
Over the years I've had bad experiences with all OEM fluids ranging from motorcycle brands to power equipment brands to motor vehicle brands and even farm equipment oil. These are all HUIGE companies, but not big enough that they do their own oil manufacturing. They farm it out to the highest bidder or the lowest contractor, and it can change at any time. Quality is an afterthought. And they lie to us, telling us that if we don't use their brand of oil it'll void warranty. The bottle of oil you buy today may not be the same as the bottle you bought 6 months ago.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
any news from the op ? hope they fix it under warranty.... i hope im not next for the club.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about this. Like you, I am having issues with mine and it is very frustrating to get blank looks rather than offers of assistance whenever I talk to the dealer. There is at least one person on this forum who will probably say you're just whining, but I'm not that guy. Good luck!

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
My 2019 is at the dealer with a possible tranny issue. I was climbing a highway mountain pass yesterday at 65mph when I suddenly lost power and had the wrench light come on. I couldn't maintain 55mph and it dropped down to 6th gear, which should've been 70mph in 8th or 9th gear.

Once I cleared the summit and headed back down the other side, it moved to 10th gear and ran perfectly fine...

...until I came to the stop light at the bottom of the canyon. As the truck went from 4th down to 1st gear, it bucked violently as it down shifted.

I then had no power upon acceleration and ran with high RPMs just to take it straight to the dealership a few miles away. They were trying to get it into a mechanic this afternoon, but I didn't hear what they found.

I was hoping it was a hose on the turbo or something, but the person who took my keys seemed to think it may be the transmission.

It's a 2019 purchased in 01/19 with 37,000 miles.

Hopefully whatever it is gets covered by the 5yr powertrain warranty 🤞

The heater core went out the first month I owned it, but it's been flawless other than that.
DID YOU HAVE ANY ENGINE MODIFICATIONS DONE BEFORE THIS HAPPENED?

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
DID YOU HAVE ANY ENGINE MODIFICATIONS DONE BEFORE THIS HAPPENED?
None. I don't tow with it either as I have an F-350 for that, so it hasn't been pushed hard.
Sponsored