Blown fuse relating to aux switch?

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I have an ARE cap on my truck that has a dome light and power outlet (little box with 3 cigarette lighter DC ports). Both of these are wired to aux switch number 6 (the aux switches that come on the dashboard of the Tremor). Today while I was using a small compressor to put air in the tires, plugged in through one of the cigarette ports in the previously mentioned power outlet, I must have blown a fuse or triggered another issue. The power outlet and dome light in the ARE cap cut out and stopped working. I checked the fuses in the auxillary fuse/relay box. I can’t tell which of the 5A fuses relate to switch #6 but I checked all 3 and none of them are blown. Is there another fuse I should be checking or could it be another issue?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have an ARE cap on my truck that has a dome light and power outlet (little box with 3 cigarette lighter DC ports). Both of these are wired to aux switch number 6 (the aux switches that come on the dashboard of the Tremor). Today while I was using a small compressor to put air in the tires, plugged in through one of the cigarette ports in the previously mentioned power outlet, I must have blown a fuse or triggered another issue. The power outlet and dome light in the ARE cap cut out and stopped working. I checked the fuses in the auxillary fuse/relay box. I can’t tell which of the 5A fuses relate to switch #6 but I checked all 3 and none of them are blown. Is there another fuse I should be checking or could it be another issue?
Hi UNorth,

Couple questions. How did you check the fuses? Ohm meter of visual? Voltage on each side of the fuse? Do you know the draw of the compressor you are using? Cannot believe it is less than 5 amps. Also to me, 5 amp fuses are too underrated for a cigar outlet...more like 20 amps.

Hopefully a member with a Tremor will chime in here as I am not familiar with the Tremor package.

Best,
Phil

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I just checked my small air compressor made for tires. It does not indicate anywhere on it how much amps it pulls. I would guess it is more than 5 amps though. If you have a voltmeter, then check the aux connections and fuses individually.

Three cigarette 12v outlets could be too much of a draw on the single 5 amp switch depending on what you're plugging into it.

Another option for airing tires is a high volume bike pump. It can actually be quicker the the small air compressors. Bonus: a few minutes of cardo.

OP
OP
upnorthranger

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Hi UNorth,

Couple questions. How did you check the fuses? Ohm meter of visual? Voltage on each side of the fuse? Do you know the draw of the compressor you are using? Cannot believe it is less than 5 amps. Also to me, 5 amp fuses are too underrated for a cigar outlet...more like 20 amps.

Hopefully a member with a Tremor will chime in here as I am not familiar with the Tremor package.

Best,
Phil
I just checked them by eye and they all appeared mint. According to the aux switch diagram in the owners manual #6 uses a 5A fuse. Here’s a link to the compressor in question. It seems to have also died in this event when the power tripped. I tried it in another car and it’s no longer working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036E9VB6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
From amazon's page:
Portable air compressor powered by auxilliary power outlet. (The 85P can only be used if your outlet is rated to 15 AMPS/180 Watts or more)

That's way to high for that fuse.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The air compressor might have an inline fuse also. Check on the DC plug itself. The end cap would screw off and the tube fuse would be there if so equipped.

OP
OP
upnorthranger

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I just checked my small air compressor made for tires. It does not indicate anywhere on it how much amps it pulls. I would guess it is more than 5 amps though. If you have a voltmeter, then check the aux connections and fuses individually.

Three cigarette 12v outlets could be too much of a draw on the single 5 amp switch depending on what you're plugging into it.

Another option for airing tires is a high volume bike pump. It can actually be quicker the the small air compressors. Bonus: a few minutes of cardo.
Good point, this compressor says it requires a 15A
From amazon's page:
Portable air compressor powered by auxilliary power outlet. (The 85P can only be used if your outlet is rated to 15 AMPS/180 Watts or more)

That's way to high for that fuse.
Interesting. I’ve used it before without issue and with other vehicles as well. Not sure why the shop wired it to the 5A switch.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
It's intended to use the vehicle's DC outlet. The shop probably has no idea of the amp restrictions on the Tremor aux switches. Either rewire it to the higher amp switch or just use the DC outlet. If you use the three DC outlet connection on the Tremor switches make sure to add up all the items' amps together to stay under what the switch is rated for.

OP
OP
upnorthranger

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
It's intended to use the vehicle's DC outlet. The shop probably has no idea of the amp restrictions on the Tremor aux switches. Either rewire it to the higher amp switch or just use the DC outlet. If you use the three DC outlet connection on the Tremor switches make sure to add up all the items' amps together to stay under what the switch is rated for.
Thanks. Which DC outlet are you referring to?

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The cigarette lighter outlets are DC outlets. Rangers have two of them in the dash. Notice they don't have cigarette lighter push in anymore.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi UN,

Pump needs a 15 outlet, so this is part of your problem. The other might be that fuses can appear good but can be blown. You might take another 5A fuse next to the suspect one and swap them and see if you gain functionalty of the dead circuit.... Need to verify current through each fuse, but as I feared...comperssor toasted something. I wonder if these switches are supposed to control high current relays to high current accessories like your cap power outlets...

Best,
Phil

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I believe the 5-amp fuse is for the switch itself, not the circuit that it is powering, and most likely the compressor itself failed, this drawing too much amperage and blew the 40 amp relay fuse

So, check these fuses in the Upfitter Relay Box

Fuse #2 - 25 amp - Powers switches 5 and 6
Fuse # 11 and #12 - 5 amp for Switches 5 and 6 - the power for these is spliced together, from the 25 amp fuse above, so you can have both on at the same time

F2 - Uplifter Relay #6- 40 Amp - Powers supply circuit for the outlets you were plugged into
so you can swap this with another that is not being used to verify as long as it the same 40 amp,
and
In the High Current BJB
Mega Fuse # 5 - 100 amp

All of these tie into the same circuit with the #6 Uplifter Switch
Sponsored