Blew out my bump stops?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
When I did my BDS shackles I noticed holes in my bump stops. The heaviest hauling I ever did was a bed full of firewood up to the rails, but I checked and didn't see any sag at that time. Weird thing unless maybe mice chewed these up and that's how they got into the cubby hole with the jack? Curious if anyone elses' look like this.

View attachment 128959

View attachment 128960
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok question answered thanks.
Hi MG,

There is always a debate on things like bump stops being made "pretty" underneath the truck...Normally Design Center gets involved with "pretty" discussions but it likely for the bumpstops that the company saved a few pennies to leave them "not pretty"...

Back in the day around late 1980, a steering design Supervisor named Bob P. and his engineer designed the prettiest pitman arm to go on the XR50 powersteering gear... It was a work of art and almost no one saw it... Not sure how much we could have saved by making it less complicated. The company that got the production job was called Lett's DropForge, which I toured and saw first hand what happens when the part being forged got caught in the forge die... almost tore the fellows arms off holding the forge blank... Nasty job...and the operator is paid by piece work...Gotta keep the forge running....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Hi MG,

There is always a debate on things like bump stops being made "pretty" underneath the truck...Normally Design Center gets involved with "pretty" discussions but it likely for the bumpstops that the company saved a few pennies to leave them "not pretty"...

Back in the day around late 1980, a steering design Supervisor named Bob P. and his engineer designed the prettiest pitman arm to go on the XR50 powersteering gear... It was a work of art and almost no one saw it... Not sure how much we could have saved by making it less complicated. The company that got the production job was called Lett's DropForge, which I toured and saw first hand what happens when the part being forged got caught in the forge die... almost tore the fellows arms off holding the forge blank... Nasty job...and the operator is paid by piece work...Gotta keep the forge running....

Best,
Phil
It wasn't so much being pretty just that it looks damaged. So it got me wondering if I overloaded the truck.

I wonder if that guy got nervous cause of the tour. I used to do internal audits and guys that could normally do their jobs in their sleep would start screwing up.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
There are aftermarkets you can buy. A lot like changing springs or shocks. Apparently it helps the impact and the return rate when weight hits the bump stops.
I am good with how the truck works.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I've never seen bump stops on any truck that didn't look like that.
Sponsored