Best UV Protectant for New Ranger

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Best Plastic Car Trim Restorer? Let's find out! 303 Protect, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, CeraKote

I watched the video above. I thought Aerospace 303 was the best at UV protection. It didn't come out so great in these tests. These tests were on an old vehicle however.

Should I just get something cheap like Armor-All? The CeraKote looks a bit overkill. Mothers Black restorer looked decent. But these are all restoration products. Also Chemical Guys seems good.

Maybe 303 would be good enough for ongoing maintenance but so expensive. I like the Meguiars Hyper Dressing but I saw somewhere that the UV protection is not very good.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There is no "best of anything" do your own testing. Everyone has one, opinion that is.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Best Plastic Car Trim Restorer? Let's find out! 303 Protect, Mothers, Turtle Wax, Meguiars, CeraKote

I watched the video above. I thought Aerospace 303 was the best at UV protection. It didn't come out so great in these tests. These tests were on an old vehicle however.

Should I just get something cheap like Armor-All? The CeraKote looks a bit overkill. Mothers Black restorer looked decent. But these are all restoration products. Also Chemical Guys seems good.

Maybe 303 would be good enough for ongoing maintenance but so expensive. I like the Meguiars Hyper Dressing but I saw somewhere that the UV protection is not very good.
Armor all may be alright now, but it has some terrible problems 20 years ago causing major damage. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for years with great results. If it can withstood the UV rays and heat we have out here it'll work anywhere. It's expensive because it works, you get what you pay for. My tonneau cover looks new like the day I bought it and it sits in the baking sun all day while I'm at work, same with my dash. I've never bought into any of these "best of" articles as most are bias form the get go. My real world experience from using the 303 even before moving out here is better than any article. I agree with Tom as far as Armor-All I wouldn't waste a dime on that greasy junk!

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
I have used 303 for years and it is great, however, when using on the outside of the vehicle (black door handles for example), it wears off very quickly and may run a bit if it rains. Does fairly well still. After researching all of these trim restorers, etc., I am going to try "Wipe New". It seems to work very well. This was a great "study" that pretty much says it all. There are other videos attached with it, as it was a long term "study". Pretty cool stuff.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone's got one so here's mine.
I've used their whole line of products on 6 autos and a boat and have been extremely pleased with every one of them. FL sun is tough on things and so is salt water on the boat. They give you a 12mo. guarantee to try it. If you don't like it, full refund no questions asked and it's made in the USA.
:flag:

https://thelastcoat.com/?rfsn=47668...4sjGfdXOXVJkG7uy-38595YJ39SvteABoC4mYQAvD_BwE

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I agree there's no one best anything for everyone. I just like to hear real world experiences people have had with various products. I've seen a lot of good reviews of chemical guys stuff.

I might check out last coat looks good at the price.

tintingkc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Does it matter?
Cquartz Dlux is fantastic and last longer then any of the over the shelf common products. Worth a look. Their other products are great too and worth a try.

OP
OP

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
Well 303 is working well for me. I made the mistake and let some dry on in the hot sun, but warm water and Meguiars APC took care of it. It’s sort of half-wax the way it behaves in some situations. The next time it washes off of high use areas like door handles.

So far the two things keeping me with 303 are:
1. Water-based so it is not attacking the plastic.
2. SPF rating of 40 for UV blocking
3. The resulting non-oily, like new finish seems to be unique among finishes like this.
4. 303 seems good for the tonneau cover.

Are their SPF ratings on some of the other Protectants?

Also trying the 303 on tires. Seems to be extra concentrated 303. I am not sure if it is an improvement over the spray or not, but it does make the look new but not shiny.

Not sure if I will keep on with 303 long term or switch to Meguiars Hyper Dressing and Tire Gel.

Does anyone know if Hyper Dressing is good for a Tonneau and an SPF on it?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well 303 is working well for me. I made the mistake and let some dry on in the hot sun, but warm water and Meguiars APC took care of it. It’s sort of half-wax the way it behaves in some situations. The next time it washes off of high use areas like door handles.

So far the two things keeping me with 303 are:
1. Water-based so it is not attacking the plastic.
2. SPF rating of 40 for UV blocking
3. The resulting non-oily, like new finish seems to be unique among finishes like this.
4. 303 seems good for the tonneau cover.

Are their SPF ratings on some of the other Protectants?

Also trying the 303 on tires. Seems to be extra concentrated 303. I am not sure if it is an improvement over the spray or not, but it does make the look new but not shiny.

Not sure if I will keep on with 303 long term or switch to Meguiars Hyper Dressing and Tire Gel.

Does anyone know if Hyper Dressing is good for a Tonneau and an SPF on it?
Just use the 303 Aerospace protectant on your tonneau cover. I hit mine about once a month and it still looks brand new.

IMG_2156.jpg

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
With all of the recommendations for 303 I chased some down at my local auto parts and have used it on the interior and exterior of my Ranger twice now. I’ve really liked it both times other than it’s left my dash really streaky. Any recommendations on how to apply this so it doesn’t streak?

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
With all of the recommendations for 303 I chased some down at my local auto parts and have used it on the interior and exterior of my Ranger twice now. I’ve really liked it both times other than it’s left my dash really streaky. Any recommendations on how to apply this so it doesn’t streak?
It's water based, so it's thin. If it's streaking your using too much in one spot. Just try rubbing any excess in a circular motion till it's absorbed.
Sponsored