Bedliner Alternative (When You're Cheap)

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
Ford Rubber Bed Mat (KB3Z-99112A15-A) + Ford Bed Tailgate Liner (KB3Z99000A38CA) = Protection (For the time being). No money out of pocket, my Ford Pass Rewards points covered both with a few bucks to spare. Bank account is still recovering from new truck expenses (LEDs, Tonneau Cover, Floor Mats, etc), so this will do for now until I'm ready to drop $500-$700 on a spray in deal.

20210320_190625.jpg

20210331_175011.jpg
Sponsored

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
You can do your whole bed for $80 with Herculiner yourself. I have done two beds with it and really been happy with the results. Your needs may be different however .
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Turborave

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Bed rug here too! got the one with out the sides.. they would be nice to have, but not for the extra $200.. if i need side protection i have a couple cheap moving blankets i can throw in there.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I did the $80 kit from walmart (30 bucks after $50 christmas gift card). Turned out really well. It's a lot of work though. I'm glad it was a short box and not an 8 footer :crackup:

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did the $80 kit from walmart (30 bucks after $50 christmas gift card). Turned out really well. It's a lot of work though. I'm glad it was a short box and not an 8 footer :crackup:
Yeah, I've been eyeing up a DIY kit, specifically the Raptor Liner kit on Amazon for a bit now. I'm confident I can do it. It's the sanding of the brand new paint that would be hard for me lol. I don't plan on tossing boulders and cinderblocks in the bed, more like my mountain bike and some diy project stuff here and there, so I think a DIY product makes the most sense to me. Not to mention, my mat and tailgate skin would be going back in after, so additional protection where it matters.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
You can do your whole bed for $80 with Herculiner yourself. I have done two beds with it and really been happy with the results. Your needs may be different however .
p1.jpg

p2.jpg
That stuff is great unless you use your truck like a truck. My bed looks like trash a year later after Herculiner

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Yeah, I've been eyeing up a DIY kit, specifically the Raptor Liner kit on Amazon for a bit now. I'm confident I can do it. It's the sanding of the brand new paint that would be hard for me lol. I don't plan on tossing boulders and cinderblocks in the bed, more like my mountain bike and some diy project stuff here and there, so I think a DIY product makes the most sense to me. Not to mention, my mat and tailgate skin would be going back in after, so additional protection where it matters.
My son did the Raptor kit in his F150. He’s a plumber by trade so his bed get a workout way more than most. Pretty severe really. I’ve seen him drag out hot water tanks. Iron pipe, you name it. Looking at the bed it looks like it was just painted on. It’s like a year and a half ago when he applied it.

He did 2 coats with the last one keeping the spray gun about 4’ away. It splatter paints when you do that and makes for a surface that you can’t slip on.

He used a rotary sander with scotch brite pads that marred the factory paint enough for the Raptor to adhere to nicely. He never got to bare metal anywhere with that approach! Smart boy, wonder wheee he got that from? ?

I’m doing mine the same way this summer. Prep work is the lion share of the job. Spray gun painting is the easy part!

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My son did the Raptor kit in his F150. He’s a plumber by trade so his bed get a workout way more than most. Pretty severe really. I’ve seen him drag out hot water tanks. Iron pipe, you name it. Looking at the bed it looks like it was just painted on. It’s like a year and a half ago when he applied it.

He did 2 coats with the last one keeping the spray gun about 4’ away. It splatter paints when you do that and makes for a surface that you can’t slip on.

He used a rotary sander with scotch brite pads that marred the factory paint enough for the Raptor to adhere to nicely. He never got to bare metal anywhere with that approach! Smart boy, wonder wheee he got that from? ?

I’m doing mine the same way this summer. Prep work is the lion share of the job. Spray gun painting is the easy part!
Thanks for the tips, and glad to hear it holds up! I did the first damage to my bed last week, hauling some granite slab scraps home. One slid and scraped the paint clear down to bare metal in a few places. Guess that gives me a reason to get this done soon!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for the tips, and glad to hear it holds up! I did the first damage to my bed last week, hauling some granite slab scraps home. One slid and scraped the paint clear down to bare metal in a few places. Guess that gives me a reason to get this done soon!
I’m right behind you. Hauled some plastic bins in mine and when I dragged them out did pretty much the same thing. Must have been gravel in there I didn’t see. Will be doing mine within the next couple of months using the same

OP
OP
DAT84

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here ya go! Very happy with my decision and inexpensive from Lowes!

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

-3.jpg
Good find. If it works it works! If Ford hadn't given me "free money" to buy accessories, I would have gone with something like this. Figured I would splurge and get the "official" mat.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager