Bed Size & Performance Q's from a Potential Buyer

rmr76

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 (Daily), 1969 Chevy C10 (Weekend Toy)
A couple questions/comments from a potential future Ranger owner. I currently have a 2014 F150 Tremor that has served me well, however the limitation of being only able to carry one passenger is becoming a bit of an issue. But a supercab or supercrew F150 is overkill for my needs. I rarely tow and if I do it's never that large of an item (they heaviest trailer/load I've needed to pull during the 5 years with my Tremor has been 5500lbs and that was 1 time). I do have a small utility trailer that can haul items like plywood laying flat, but its max load is 1000lbs and it weighs just under 300lbs empty. Also, a new larger F150 won't easily fit in my garage - I would have just enough room to close the door with 2 inches to spare. That said, I have appreciated the 6ft (and change) bed my Tremor has along with the extender. I don't frequently need that much cargo space but it's nice. So...

1. Anybody step down to a Ranger from a truck with larger bed and have regrets? Or, did you find a happy compromise? Maybe I'd just need to bust out my utility trailer a bit more often???

2. Performance - my Tremor (and most F150s for that matter) are a good bit faster in 0-60 and quarter mile than the Ranger. Anybody go into a Ranger from a quicker vehicle and find it a problem? I did have a 2011 Mustang GT before my Tremor and although it was much faster, the Tremor has plenty of go power for typical driving. I don't care about drag racing as much as just feeling confident with a load or being able to pass/merge with ease. I'm not fully opposed to tuning, especially if Ford ever releases one as they have for the ecoboost Mustang. At least early on I wouldn't really want to compromise the warranty. I wouldn't be looking at crazy tunes anyway. It seems that some of the tuned Rangers are now faster than my stock Tremor and that would be overkill for me.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward a crew cab XLT with FX4 & tow packages. Probably will wait until all the 2020 MY changes are released in a month just in case anything extra comes along that I'd like, and if not then pursue picking up a 2019 this fall.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I don't fit into the bed size category, but I came over from a Focus ST with full bolt on's and a healthy tune. Aside from being less agile, I'd say it's plenty quick loaded or unloaded. I just towed a ~4200# camper trailer, and it pulled it like almost nothing. The truck is easily capable of hitting 70-80mph with ease in a short amount of time.

I'd like to add a rear swaybar so that it feels a little less "rear floaty". Hope that helps you make a decision.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Data:

2014 Tremor 0-60 = 5.9 Sec
2019 Ranger 0-60 = 7.3 Sec
2013 Escape 2.0L 0-60 = 6.8 Sec
2014 Tremor 1/4 Mi = 14.4 Sec
2019 Ranger 1/4 Mi = 15.2 Sec
2013 Escape 2.0L 1/4 Mi = 15.2 Sec

Why do I have the Escape listed? Because that was my previous vehicle, so I figured I'd baseline it in my experiences. So the Ranger is .5 a second slower in a 0-60 than my Escape, but has the same 1/4. Likewise, the Ranger is 1.4 Sec slower in a 0-60 than your Tremor, but only .8 Sec slower in the quarter mile.

So with all of that said, the Ranger is faster during driving than the Escape or Tremor, but is slower off the line. The reason for this is (imo) the new 10 speed transmission, that ensure that you're constantly delivering peak power. So really unless you're drag strip racing the light, you really won't feel like the truck is slower. As it is, I feel like the truck is faster than my old Escape, even though the data shows it's not faster off the line. I keep consistently finding myself on the highway at about 85mph after getting on the highway, it just accelerates from that 40mph ramp speed so smoothly and quickly.

As far as the bed length, before I had my Escape, I had a F250 w/ a 6.5' bed. Now I have a 5' bed. It's a bit of a shock on somethings... my skis don't fit in the bed of the truck anymore, so I have to use the bed rack for them, but besides that, it's no big deal. I use it for activities, so I don't have 2x4s around in it, but even if I did, I'd have to have the tailgate open and secure the lumber in my old Super Duty, so really there's no big deal that it extends 3.5' instead of 2' behind the tailgate. The bigger concern is more on the width of the bed - you don't have the 48'' between the wheel wells, so your plywood doesn't fit flat in the bed (unless you elevate it).

RobF8GT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BMW F800GT, 2017 Ford Fusion 2.7L sport. 2019 Ranger , Lariat, sport, FX4, Lightning Blue ordered.
Occupation
Commercial Transport Mechanic
Hi. I went from a 2017 Fusion Sport with the 2.7 eco. I just took my Ranger on a camping trip. I did notice that the Ranger just doesn't have the same power / torque when passing people, especially on hills. Its not bad and it does go but I have to give myself a little more room to get around other vehicles now. It also doesn't handle as well at high speeds, but then again why would it. Its a completely different type of vehicle. Although the Fusion was all wheel drive there is no way I would have been able to go the same lakes etc as I did in the Ranger. I am very happy with the Ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't think you will find the truck wanting for power. I just got back from towing a small uhaul trailer (2000 ish pounds probably) and from a power perspective I couldn't even tell it was there. Between the torque and the 10 speed, the truck will go pretty good. It isn't a sports car, but it does exceedingly well, I think. Everyone who I've taken for a ride in it has been very surprised.

Bed length is a bit of a compromise - I had a 6 foot bed and didn't really want a shorter bed, but I did compromise and got a bed extender. With the bed extender and the depth of the bed, it actually holds more than my old 6 foot bed (it comes out to over 7' with the bed extender in place).

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my new Ranger - a big step up in every way from my 2005 Ranger.

OP
OP
rmr76

rmr76

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 (Daily), 1969 Chevy C10 (Weekend Toy)
Thanks all. Sounds like the crew cab with bed extender would meet my needs 90+% of the time and I can use my utility trailer for those oddball loads. I don't often carry full sheets of plywood anyway...

khyros, thanks for your input on the performance numbers versus actual driving feel. Really sounds like I'd be perfectly fine with the Ranger's performance in typical driving situations. I could always tune it later if I wanted to have bit more fun, but I'll bet I won't end up caring. When I had my Mustang, I always found it so frustrating that I could rarely appreciate it's power on typical DFW congested roads.

So, now to wait and see if the 2020s will bring anything worth waiting for... Otherwise, guess I'll see what dealers around me have in stock come Labor Day.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
A couple questions/comments from a potential future Ranger owner. I currently have a 2014 F150 Tremor that has served me well, however the limitation of being only able to carry one passenger is becoming a bit of an issue. But a supercab or supercrew F150 is overkill for my needs. I rarely tow and if I do it's never that large of an item (they heaviest trailer/load I've needed to pull during the 5 years with my Tremor has been 5500lbs and that was 1 time). I do have a small utility trailer that can haul items like plywood laying flat, but its max load is 1000lbs and it weighs just under 300lbs empty. Also, a new larger F150 won't easily fit in my garage - I would have just enough room to close the door with 2 inches to spare. That said, I have appreciated the 6ft (and change) bed my Tremor has along with the extender. I don't frequently need that much cargo space but it's nice. So...

1. Anybody step down to a Ranger from a truck with larger bed and have regrets? Or, did you find a happy compromise? Maybe I'd just need to bust out my utility trailer a bit more often???

2. Performance - my Tremor (and most F150s for that matter) are a good bit faster in 0-60 and quarter mile than the Ranger. Anybody go into a Ranger from a quicker vehicle and find it a problem? I did have a 2011 Mustang GT before my Tremor and although it was much faster, the Tremor has plenty of go power for typical driving. I don't care about drag racing as much as just feeling confident with a load or being able to pass/merge with ease. I'm not fully opposed to tuning, especially if Ford ever releases one as they have for the ecoboost Mustang. At least early on I wouldn't really want to compromise the warranty. I wouldn't be looking at crazy tunes anyway. It seems that some of the tuned Rangers are now faster than my stock Tremor and that would be overkill for me.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward a crew cab XLT with FX4 & tow packages. Probably will wait until all the 2020 MY changes are released in a month just in case anything extra comes along that I'd like, and if not then pursue picking up a 2019 this fall.
I am going from a 2014 F150 regular cab 4x4 to ranger supercab 4x4.
That means 6.5 bed to a 6.1 foot bed. Not a big deal, though ranger is a bit narrower as well.

I dont envision any issues. Can still haul enough firewood and deer for my needs.

Performance should be much better in the ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I am going from a 2014 F150 regular cab 4x4 to ranger supercab 4x4.
That means 6.5 bed to a 6.1 foot bed. Not a big deal, though ranger is a bit narrower as well.

I dont envision any issues. Can still haul enough firewood and deer for my needs.

Performance should be much better in the ranger.
For stuff like firewood, even though the bed is shorter, it is much deeper than older Rangers so you can put more wood in it. That obviously doesn't apply to stuff like plywood.

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
I've had multiple trucks over the years, stand 6'4" tall. I got the Supercab for the 6' bed length and get away with it because I don't have any friends or children so don't need the Crew. Went camping last week with a Napier in bed tent and was extremely comfortable. I did put 1/2 inch interlocking foam pads down to keep my knees from banging on the metal bed. As for power...it's a mid-size truck not a drag race car or SCCA competitor but it goes strong when needed.

IMG_5478.JPG
Sponsored