alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

I was under the impression that Ford trucks were tougher than the competition. That said, the aluminum on the wheel wells feels rather cheap. In fact, I'm so afraid to put any weight on them for fear that they may collapse like a soda can (honestly, feels so delicate when I even lightly punch it with my bare knuckle). Do you all think that these aluminum sides are going to keep up with daily workloads? The tailgate also feels really delicate, I got a few light scratches on it already ( on the inside with cardboard boxes). Anyone have fear that these components will not hold up long term? Its concerning how much the tailgate "creeks" when I stand on it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ranger bed is all steel. I think the hood, tailgate, and front fenders are aluminum. The rest of the body is steel.
Wait, are you sure the wheel wells are steel? They feel so .... soft compared to the bottom of the bed.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I've hauled hardwood furniture and a bunch of 1/2" plywood (10 pieces, loaded over the passenger side wheel well and pressing against driver side) and have had paint scratches, but the metal feels just as reliable as any other truck I've owned or used.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
The wheel wells will have a more hollow sound when tapping on it if that is what you mean by "soft". The bed floor is attached to frame members which gives it a more solid sound when tapping on it (wheel wells do not have similar frame members supporting it).

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Passenger doors feel flimsy on lower panel. I feel it when washing. Steel, but they need some sound deadening at least inside.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Passenger doors feel flimsy on lower panel. I feel it when washing. Steel, but they need some sound deadening at least inside.
I think most new cars are this way - the steel is getting thinner to reduce weight. The doors do feel pretty thin. Door dings will be pretty easy to get - but then again, someone argued that if they are easier to get, maybe they are easier to fix (the paintless dent guys).

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I was under the impression that Ford trucks were tougher than the competition. That said, the aluminum on the wheel wells feels rather cheap. In fact, I'm so afraid to put any weight on them for fear that they may collapse like a soda can (honestly, feels so delicate when I even lightly punch it with my bare knuckle). Do you all think that these aluminum sides are going to keep up with daily workloads? The tailgate also feels really delicate, I got a few light scratches on it already ( on the inside with cardboard boxes). Anyone have fear that these components will not hold up long term? Its concerning how much the tailgate "creeks" when I stand on it.
Hehe. At least you researched first.

The wells are "hollow". The floor is mounted to stuff. Show me one truck that doesnt have a different sound when hitting floor and well.

Well, maybe the plastic bed Toyota uses. But who would buy a plastic bed?

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah okay, so it is steel, just feels rather thin (at least thinner than the steel in our family's 88 S10). Still, glad it is steel throughout the bed. A follow up question then, if I leave a load of about 950lb on the bed overnight (we are leaving early morning tomorrow) will that damage the leaf springs or suspension? The weight is evenly distributed. This is for the 4x2 truck, supercab, 6ft bed.It is well below the 1600 payload capacity, so I'm hoping its okay.

Thanks!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Juan,