First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Im not sure how accurate this video is, but it does give an idea of what could happen in certain situations. Just be Careful if you er pulling yourself or someone out.
Sponsored

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I actually tried to rescue a bread delivery step van that high centered his rear bumper. I carry my old recovery strap in the Ranger, as I bought a new one for my off road rig. The strap is rated at at 20,000lbs., But was 15-20 years old.

I hooked up, put the Ranger in 4lo, turned on the rear locker and took up the slack. Gave it some gas and then the strap snapped. The strap came flying back and hit the tailgate, luckily not doing any damage.

Glad it broke there and not in the middle of nowhere, where I needed it.

Don't use old equipment.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Aren’t you suppose to use a weight on the line so that if it snaps it falls to the ground? I seem to remember a weighted tube sack that went over the line, right at the middle, so that if an end came loose the line wouldn’t travel all the way back.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Aren’t you suppose to use a weight on the line so that if it snaps it falls to the ground? I seem to remember a weighted tube sack that went over the line, right at the middle, so that if an end came loose the line wouldn’t travel all the way back.
They had a Tire and several weight bags on the line.....

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
They had a Tire and several weight bags on the line.....
In the video? I can’t watch it right now, my reception stinks. I’ll check it out later.

OP
OP
viperwolf

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
one...i will never ever tow out someone I dont know. Liability reasons.
and the reason is simple, a friend towed a guy out of the ditch...good Samaritan...kudos. but then weeks later his insurance calls and he's being faulted for irreparable frame damage.
I'll leave any towing to a tow truck who has insurance for that. I'll at least stop and see if anyone needs help, but nope, your cars staying till a towtruck gets you.

two, I worked a job in the field where a seismic truck operator was seriously injured and nearly died from head trauma, by a flying winch line, and they did it all by the book.
its not a task to be taken lightly and injuries can occur even with the best planning.
Maybe that is why people just stare instead of helping. They are afraid of getting sued, people suing others is out of control now and days. There is a time and place for it though. Its like you need a contract to say hi to anyone lol.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
It is sad that people sue good Samaritans and that is why most people will keep on going instead of helping its very sad. I believe I've read a story somewhere else about this happening back in the way old days.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
I wouldn't offer to tow someone out either due to the liability. There's a YouTube channel of a guy who owns a tow/wrecker company. He's in Washington State and rescues a lot of people on the beach using his modded Ford super duty and kinetic energy ropes. He knows what he is doing and is insured. He finds a lot of people who call him only to show up and find the good samaritan stuck also.

https://youtube.com/user/HILLAUTOBODY

I recently learned that kinetic straps only have a useful life of around 20 pulls. kinetic ropes on the other hand cost a lot more but are supposed to be good for 100 plus pulls. I have a Yankum 30 foot 7/8th's inch python kinetic energy rope. I hopefully never need it but it does seem much better made than any strap I have seen.

CrazyIvan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I think Kinetic ropes are the new preferred way to pull someone out now right?

Edit
Never mind Knothead beat me to it.
Sponsored