Be careful changing your wiper blades.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
That just sucks :explode: I really think that the glass on these Rangers are more prone to cracks. I've had two cracks in my windshield. Both were from very small pebbles when traveling around 40 MPH. I'm now debating paying my $250 glass deductible to have it replaced. I almost did it for the first one, but decided to have it repaired instead. Glad I didn't because three days later I got the second crack.

My 2016 Mustang, on the other hand, has over 100 hours on high speed road courses with hunks of tire rubber and pebbles tossed at it. No windshield cracks - just that light sandblasted look when the afternoon sun hits it. The paint on the hood hasn't faired as well though :facepalm: Such is the price for the track car hobby.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
That just sucks :explode: I really think that the glass on these Rangers are more prone to cracks. I've had two cracks in my windshield. Both were from very small pebbles when traveling around 40 MPH. I'm now debating paying my $250 glass deductible to have it replaced. I almost did it for the first one, but decided to have it repaired instead. Glad I didn't because three days later I got the second crack.

My 2016 Mustang, on the other hand, has over 100 hours on high speed road courses with hunks of tire rubber and pebbles tossed at it. No windshield cracks - just that light sandblasted look when the afternoon sun hits it. The paint on the hood hasn't faired as well though :facepalm: Such is the price for the track car hobby.
I had a 15 eco mustang & the first (more then 10 miles) trip the windshield took a small pebble & crack city. i cant speak on the toughness but im sure (bad) luck has something to go with it as well,
I mean DAMN crack from wiper blade replacement! ! !

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I was being extra extra careful not to bend the wiper arm when removing the passenger side blade. I got the blade off pretty easily, but then the spring loaded arm snapped down onto the windshield. It cracked my windshield. I stood there staring at it for a bit. YOU'VE GOT TO BE FREAKIN' KIDDING ME! I went into the house and told my wife, "I just f****** cracked the windshield on my truck changing the wiper blade." That is one pathetic sentence.

It's low enough you can't see it (much) from inside the truck. Apparently we have a no deductible with windshield replacement. But somehow I need to make sure they use an identical factory replacement. I'm not replacing it any time soon, because I'm sure it would be one of the first Ranger's anyone around here has changed out and I don't want any of the electronics screwed up.

It's not my first blemish on my Blue baby. But each one is a kick in the nads.

it may last longer than you think - I did something equally dumb on my 2004 Saab, trying to pry the wiper arm off of the stud with a big screwdriver - heard a big crack, so went to the other side and cracked that side of the windshield (brilliant move) - a $8 battery post puller would have spared the windshield, but on my 1999 Saab the big screwdriver worked. anyways used epoxy on the cracks - each about 10" long and sold the car a few months back with the windshield I had cracked maybe 6 yrs earlier. I did buy a battery puller afterwards though - and it sits ready for the next time I have to remove a wiper arm - which may be never. :frown:
gotta be big bucks for an oem lariat windshield with all that stuff they hang on it.

OP
OP
Bullet

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It's zipping up and across the windshield now. I came out from work, got in the truck and had to look twice. Then damn... I sorrowfully remembered I cracked it last night.

Last edited:

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I was being extra extra careful not to bend the wiper arm when removing the passenger side blade. I got the blade off pretty easily, but then the spring loaded arm snapped down onto the windshield. It cracked my windshield. I stood there staring at it for a bit. YOU'VE GOT TO BE FREAKIN' KIDDING ME! I went into the house and told my wife, "I just f****** cracked the windshield on my truck changing the wiper blade." That is one pathetic sentence.

It's low enough you can't see it (much) from inside the truck. Apparently we have a no deductible with windshield replacement. But somehow I need to make sure they use an identical factory replacement. I'm not replacing it any time soon, because I'm sure it would be one of the first Ranger's anyone around here has changed out and I don't want any of the electronics screwed up.

Speaking from experience these front windshields are soft. I use mine heavily off road during Hunting season. I plasti dip the entire truck each season to protect the paint from the heavy brush contact, but I can tell you that the glass scratches extremely easy. I've never had this happen on my F150 nor my Tacoma. The side windows don't scratch at all.

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing on a F-150 I had. Dam!

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
That's why I never replace wiper blades, I drive to avoid the raindrops.

But seriously that's sucks, thanks for the warning and I hope I remember to learn from your misfortune.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to get the crack repaired to prevent spreading?

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Right? I'm going to be that person wrapping the wiper arm in a clean shop towel as I'm changing the blade.
Yep, my first thought was... mental note- when I change my wiper blades out, put a thick towel over the glass beneath.

melvin king

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
it may last longer than you think - I did something equally dumb on my 2004 Saab, trying to pry the wiper arm off of the stud with a big screwdriver - heard a big crack, so went to the other side and cracked that side of the windshield (brilliant move) - a $8 battery post puller would have spared the windshield, but on my 1999 Saab the big screwdriver worked. anyways used epoxy on the cracks - each about 10" long and sold the car a few months back with the windshield I had cracked maybe 6 yrs earlier. I did buy a battery puller afterwards though - and it sits ready for the next time I have to remove a wiper arm - which may be never. :frown:
gotta be big bucks for an oem lariat windshield with all that stuff they hang on it.
$1000.00 at my dealer.
Sponsored