Be careful changing your wiper blades.

Bullet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I was being extra extra careful not to bend the wiper arm when removing the passenger side blade. I got the blade off pretty easily, but then the spring loaded arm snapped down onto the windshield. It cracked my windshield. I stood there staring at it for a bit. YOU'VE GOT TO BE FREAKIN' KIDDING ME! I went into the house and told my wife, "I just f****** cracked the windshield on my truck changing the wiper blade." That is one pathetic sentence.

It's low enough you can't see it (much) from inside the truck. Apparently we have a no deductible with windshield replacement. But somehow I need to make sure they use an identical factory replacement. I'm not replacing it any time soon, because I'm sure it would be one of the first Ranger's anyone around here has changed out and I don't want any of the electronics screwed up.

It's not my first blemish on my Blue baby. But each one is a kick in the nads.
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I was being extra extra careful not to bend the wiper arm when removing the passenger side blade. I got the blade off pretty easily, but then the spring loaded arm snapped down onto the windshield. It cracked my windshield. I stood there staring at it for a bit. YOU'VE GOT TO BE FREAKIN' KIDDING ME! I went into the house and told my wife, "I just f****** cracked the windshield on my truck changing the wiper blade." That is one pathetic sentence.

It's low enough you can't see it (much) from inside the truck. Apparently we have a no deductible with windshield replacement. But somehow I need to make sure they use an identical factory replacement. I'm not replacing it any time soon, because I'm sure it would be one of the first Ranger's anyone around here has changed out and I don't want any of the electronics screwed up.

Sorry to hear that, I know the pain of the 1st ding! I was taking my trash cans out and the big one spun around and bumped the front of my truck. Nice dent almost dead center on the hood! I now have a bug shield....
When I change my wipers I am always scared $hitless that will happen!
One of these days I will place a scrap of rug or a towel under there, guess I could use a floor mat!

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. I feel for you. Don’t wait too long - at last count, there were no aftermarket windshields out there - only Ford OE.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks!
I took my work vehicle in for windshield wipers to our fleet department, it was an unmarked 2007 Ranger 4x4 (pretty sweat cop vehicle except for when it hit the rev limiter at something like 92 mph!). The fleet maintenance guy did the same thing to my work truck changing the wiper and it hurt! And I didn't even own that Ranger. And it was high mileage. And it was a little beat up. I would feel sick to my stomach if I was in your shoes.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Right? I'm going to be that person wrapping the wiper arm in a clean shop towel as I'm changing the blade.
I am going to see if I have some foam pipe insulation leftovers! So 6 months from now I will wonder why this is in my toolbox!

I think the only thing worse than cracking your windshield while changing wiper blades would be cracking the wife's!!!

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

That sucks, thanks for the PSA!

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Ouch!!!! That gotta hurt. Sorry about that. NYS safety inspection would make me replace the windshield, so should check on your state.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
you are a bigger man than I to admit that to everyone , I would have done the logical thing and blame my wife for doing it.
Sponsored