Battery Disconnect Necessary When Installing Brake Controller??

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the process of installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller on my Ranger. Yes I know the ramifications not my question.

I have noticed that many disconnect the battery's negative terminal before installing the brake controller. I understand the potential issues if of touching another wire during the install. My question is am okay not to disconnect the battery if I strip a wire install the butt connector before moving on to the next wire eliminating the possibility of cross-connection or am I missing something??.
Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Not sure if this helps you or not. I had a P2 brake controller installed by the dealer. He noticed that the 30 amp fuse would blow anytime the P2 is connected or disconnected. Can't understand why it would do that, but just told me to pull the fuse before I do any connect or disconnect. Tekconsha says their unit doesn't pull much amps, so it shouldn't happen. I'm not happy about it, but the P2 has worked just fine.

k1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
It's always a good principle to disconnect the battery when working on the wiring. It usually just saves some excitement from flying sparks and replacing a fuse but disconnecting the battery could save a computer module and thus a whole load of money you didn't have.

OP
OP
DrSafety

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. I did wire the brake controller without disconnecting the battery. I did it one wire at a time. No other exposed wiring until the wires were connected and wrapped. I had no issues.
Sponsored