Back up camera - upgrade possible?

ebFX4

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 - 5G
Love my Ranger and it’s aids. But since I got it- I feel like the backup camera resolution and picture quality is a bit low.

I’ve been driving a Jeep Wrangler the last few days as a rental and i was quickly surprised with how much better that camera’s resolution is.

So I have to ask...is there any way to upgrade the backup camera on the Ranger?
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Love my Ranger and it’s aids. But since I got it- I feel like the backup camera resolution and picture quality is a bit low.

I’ve been driving a Jeep Wrangler the last few days as a rental and i was quickly surprised with how much better that camera’s resolution is.

I have used mine several times and even backing up to trailers to hook up and had no issues w/ the clarity.
I even use the zoom-in function when really close to the hitch and it looks good. I have noticed that need to keep the lens clean from road grime but no other issues imo.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
My wife's Crosstrek definitely has a higher resolution than my Ranger does but have to agree with the other comments. It does the job and I didn't have issues using it to hook up to my trailer.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I hear there is a 4K HDTV version coming out.

seriously though...the backup camera is to identify objects before you back over them, like children.
do you want to identify the children first to see if they're worth savi

ng? Like that one has herpes and pimples...run them over. That one has great teeth, blues eyes and blonde hair, lets save them.

seriously though...the backup camera is to identify objects before you back over them, like children.
do you want to identify the children first to see if they're worth saving? Like that one has herpes and pimples...run them over. That one has great teeth, blues eyes and blonde hair, lets save them.
:crackup:

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

If it uses composite video, maybe something more high end: https://www.brandmotion.com/summitview-1/rock-cameras/summitview-rock-camera-9002-8851.html

OP
OP
ebFX4

ebFX4

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 - 5G
Agreed it gets the job done when it needs to. No argument there.
I'm just in a parking structure at work and my apartment where a little more clarity and contrary wouldn't hurt. Considering it's a +40k truck, itd be nice if it were 1-1 to cars in lower price points.

"Trying to read with it?"...hmm. Hadn't considered that before...til now ;)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

do you want to identify the children first to see if they're worth saving? Like that one has herpes and pimples...run them over. That one has great teeth, blues eyes and blonde hair, lets save them.
Lord, have mercy!:LOL:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Hey don't let the jokesters getcha down! Some of us just notice stuff like this ;)

Our son got a Chevy Volt two months before we got the Ranger and the quality of his backup camera is way better. The difference was noticeable enough that when I first saw the Ranger's, I walked around to make sure there wasn't still some piece of protective plastic from the factory stuck on the camera lens (there wasn't)!

Not sure about 3rd party options, might be worth searching around, though in my case it doesn't bother me that much now that I know that's just the way it is.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
I know this is an older thread but I did the same. Getting out of my wrangler and into the Ranger, I keep wanting to go clean the camera but it’s just a bad resolution. It definitely does the job. I just thought something was wrong with it. Lol

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Odds are its a poor quality cmos sensor chosen for durability over image quality. There is probably an upgrade. Perhaps from an F150 ? Can we compare the part numbers?

OP
OP
ebFX4

ebFX4

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 - 5G
Odds are its a poor quality cmos sensor chosen for durability over image quality. There is probably an upgrade. Perhaps from an F150 ? Can we compare the part numbers?
good point, Tommy...haven’t been in an F150 to compare so I wonder if it’s better.

I do wonder though... would swapping the camera mess with the calibration of the lines and sensors?
Dunno! I’ll see if I can find specs or resolution on them F15 cameras though. Seems like a viable option.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver

I kept thinking the camera was dirty the first couple days and finally cleaned it off. Then realized it was just the low resolution.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I kept thinking the camera was dirty the first couple days and finally cleaned it off. Then realized it was just the low resolution.
Mine seems to accumulate dirt and water on it pretty easily which makes it difficult to see anything. I wiped it off this weekend and it is better, but when it rains all the water collects on it and distorts everything. I tried putting some rainx on it but it didn't seem to help at all.

Does anyone else experience the same thing?
Sponsored