Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Is this on all trim levels?

From the Owners Manual:

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning

This feature may increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snorebaby

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. All trims.
Thanks. I thought so as some shifts are a little harsh/soft and at different shift rpms. The only bad thing about the XLT gauges is that you can't see the gear selection on the screen like in the Lariat. I hope it smooths itself out soon. Right now that is my only complaint with the truck.

Tyler

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks. I thought so as some shifts are a little harsh/soft and at different shift rpms. The only bad thing about the XLT gauges is that you can't see the gear selection on the screen like in the Lariat. I hope it smooths itself out soon. Right now that is my only complaint with the truck.
Push the plus sign on the gear shifter. It will put the gears on the dash.

OP
OP
Snorebaby

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Push the plus sign on the gear shifter. It will put the gears on the dash.
Thanks. Will try that when I get home (I rode the Goldwing to work today)

OP
OP
Snorebaby

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Tyler That done it! But as with the Auto Start/Stop, it has to be done each time you start the truck. No biggie, I won't do it each time but if I want to I know how to do it. Thanks!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If I didn't know the transmission did this I'd have thought I bought a lemon. Fresh off the line it's really rough but it improves fairly rapidly.

Dennis Harvey

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
After you get the gears to display on the dash (hitting plus sign on shifter, as Tyler pointed out) you can also limit your top gear by hitting the minus sign. Just hit the plus sign to get back to all 10 gears.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Straight from my local ford shop guys the learning takes around 100 miles. I can attest that transmission shifting calmed down considerably on grades and stops after the first 100 miles driven.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Straight from my local ford shop guys the learning takes around 100 miles. I can attest that transmission shifting calmed down considerably on grades and stops after the first 100 miles driven.
Mine Too!

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Mine gradually calmed down over the course of 4000 miles. I finally broke down and scheduled an appointment for the TSB to be performed but in the three days leading up to it the Ranger drove very smooth and I didn't want to miss the time off work to deal with it. Anyone else had their transmission take that long to smooth out? I have a feeling that part of the reason it "feels" smoother is that I am just getting used to it!
Sponsored