First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
So I’ve noticed according to my indicator the transmission doesn’t seem to ever Shift in/out of 2nd gear. It goes from 1 to 3 and so on. Then 3 to 1 when stopping.
I’ve tried various stop and start speeds and I have yet to see “2“ light up. Curious if anyone else has the same experience.
BTW...I have just over 500 miles on my new truck.

CB379F69-B59D-48F0-B7BA-29F64BB5C8ED.jpeg

FEF24F4D-0AC8-4EEC-AAB5-94DE5FAF9626.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
This is a common and normal occurrence. No worries. If you use Sport mode or Tow/Haul mode, it'll go through 2nd gear.
OK...a bit strange but thanks!

Deleted member 1634

OK...a bit strange but thanks!
Thing's got so many years, and the lower ones are so close together, might as well save some time and wear by just skipping the ones it doesn't need at the time. Quite ingenious in fact I think. Reminds me of driving stick and when I'd have to race up to speed after pulling out onto a busy fast road. You let it rev really high to get your speed up and all of a sudden you're going 60 in 3rd gear. No sense taking the time and energy to go into 4th for a few seconds then 5th, might as well just skip to 5th.

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Thing's got so many years, and the lower ones are so close together, might as well save some time and wear by just skipping the ones it doesn't need at the time. Quite ingenious in fact I think. Reminds me of driving stick and when I'd have to race up to speed after pulling out onto a busy fast road. You let it rev really high to get your speed up and all of a sudden you're going 60 in 3rd gear. No sense taking the time and energy to go into 4th for a few seconds then 5th, might as well just skip to 5th.
Yeah, but this doesn’t race up to a higher gear & shift. No matter how slow I drive from 0mph to 10, 20 or 30 it skips 2nd then shifts 3-10 gears normally. ??‍♂

Deleted member 1634

Yeah, but this doesn’t race up to a higher gear & shift. No matter how slow I drive from 0mph to 10, 20 or 30 it skips 2nd then shifts 3-10 gears normally. ??‍♂
I think it also skips 5th or 6th or something sometimes as well too, for the same reason. I'm no transmission expert. I just know skipping gears is normal for this truck. I know there are a handful of threads on here that discuss it in depth, so if you're really interested, I'm sure it's been dissected to death in there. haha

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Discussed a bazilion times on here. Unless you’re towing or running hard in sport mode, the truck will skip a few gears on the way up. A tune can eliminate this if you choose.

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Discussed a bazilion times on here. Unless you’re towing or running hard in sport mode, the truck will skip a few gears on the way up. A tune can eliminate this if you choose.
New Ranger owner so it was confusing. Thanks.

alan0614

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Lariat, 2017 GT350, 2016 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Product and Training Manager
My indicator doesn’t show, I noticed it a time or two but now it’s not there. Something I’m doing wrong?

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My indicator doesn’t show, I noticed it a time or two but now it’s not there. Something I’m doing wrong?
You have the press the “+” button on the shifter to make it appear. It also only works when in D, it won’t show up in Sport mode.

Last edited:

alan0614

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Lariat, 2017 GT350, 2016 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Product and Training Manager
Awesome thank you.

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
You have the press the “+” button on the shifter to make it appear. It also only works when in D, is won’t show up in Sport mode.
In Sport mode the actual gear number will show up in the left dash display.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Sport mode the actual gear number will show up in the left dash display.
Yes, if you shift manually they will. The gear number won't display if you leave it in Sport Automatic.

OP
OP
Tim H.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Yes, if you shift manually they will. The gear number won't display if you leave it in Sport Automatic.
Correct. I should have mentioned that detail.
Sponsored