Auto Wiper Speed

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
Minor Gripe Here! Does anyone else think that the auto wipers slowest setting still wipe too fast? It's been raining for a couple of days here, and I have tried to use the auto feature, but I find the frequency of the wipes to go too fast. I end up switching the auto off and just manually turning the wipers on every once in a while while drizzling. 1st world problem for sure, just seeing if anyone else had this issue!
Sponsored

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Minor Gripe Here! Does anyone else think that the auto wipers slowest setting still wipe too fast? It's been raining for a couple of days here, and I have tried to use the auto feature, but I find the frequency of the wipes to go too fast. I end up switching the auto off and just manually turning the wipers on every once in a while while drizzling. 1st world problem for sure, just seeing if anyone else had this issue!
Yes. Same thing here except I haven't set to manual yet. It IS frustrating when a drizzle sets these off at high speed.

My wife had these on her 2015 Escape and once we figured the correct settings, they worked flawlessly.

I guess we have to do the same with ours on the Ranger.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I agree. It is annoying.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I don’t mind it, you will get used to it and probably not even notice it after a little more time.
We have had our Mazda 3 since 2010 with auto wipers and it seemed too fast in the beginning. I don’t notice any difference been it’s speed compared to my Ranger.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't noticed that, just the occasional wipe when it isn't raining - somehow it sensed moisture on the windshield even though there isn't any. Other than that, the auto wipers have worked pretty well for me. I believe the interval speed wheel on the wiper stalk is also used to increase/decrease the sensitivity of the auto wipers.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't noticed that, just the occasional wipe when it isn't raining - somehow it sensed moisture on the windshield even though there isn't any. Other than that, the auto wipers have worked pretty well for me. I believe the interval speed wheel on the wiper stalk is also used to increase/decrease the sensitivity of the auto wipers.
Hi Rob,

Could it be bugs triggering the auto wipers?

Some days you are the bug...other days you are the windshield?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
Mine does the same thing. It only happens when it’s really hot out, like 108 or hotter. It wipes one time only about 30 seconds after I put it in drive. And so far only when I’m leaving work.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It could be - it doesn't happen very often - it just kind of weird when it does happen. Last time it happened it smeared stuff all over the windshield (we hadn't had any rain in a while). It doesn't happen often enough to really look into it at all. A bug is actually a pretty good rationale for it and may in fact be what is causing it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It could be - it doesn't happen very often - it just kind of weird when it does happen. Last time it happened it smeared stuff all over the windshield (we hadn't had any rain in a while). It doesn't happen often enough to really look into it at all. A bug is actually a pretty good rationale for it and may in fact be what is causing it.
Hi Rob

Bug day today for me....:frown: Store out of wife's favorite Ginger Beer for her Moscow Mule....Not happy:angry:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob

Bug day today for me....:frown: Store out of wife's favorite Ginger Beer for her Moscow Mule....Not happy:angry:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Bummer - happy wife, happy life - and the reverse is true as well! Hope they get it in stock soon! :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bummer - happy wife, happy life - and the reverse is true as well! Hope they get it in stock soon! :)
All is well...found a 28 day supply worth at Total Wine in Tucson...Whew... Windshield day tomorrow?? Hope so!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Hi Rob,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

Seems to work pretty well for me. Can you explain how the detection works? I was wondering if it is water impact or moisture sensitivity. Where is the sensor?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

Seems to work pretty well for me. Can you explain how the detection works? I was wondering if it is water impact or moisture sensitivity. Where is the sensor?
Hi John,

As I recall from the owners manual, it is the camera behind the rear view mirror that is used. When the camera detects water on the windshield it activates the wipers...I recall the notice to ensure this area is kept clean and bug free...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Hi John,

As I recall from the owners manual, it is the camera behind the rear view mirror that is used. When the camera detects water on the windshield it activates the wipers...I recall the notice to ensure this area is kept clean and bug free...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil,

I guess I missed or forgot that notice. I'll just blame it on age.
Sponsored