Audio Books

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I’m a reader. It’s very difficult for me to read in my household as there are folks here who want my undivided attention most of the time.:oops: Lately, I’ve been listening to Dateline and Snapped :)devil:), on a podcast, as I’m going to sleep. Seems to relax me, and I barely get past the initial introduction to the story before falling asleep. But, decided to give podcasts a break and try an audio book. That would be relaxing. Right?
Well, I selected my book, put in my earbuds and settled down for a nice bedtime story. The narrator talked so fast, it was difficult for these southern ears to understand what she was saying. I finally turned it off. Not exactly relaxing! What the heck? Why would they make an audio book where the narrator was speed reading?
The story was good, so I did my best to keep up and finished the book the following day. Believe me, that was an accomplishment! That night, decided to buy another audio book. Maybe this narrator would speak more slowly.:fingerscrossed: She did not.
Apparently, there is a speed control at the bottom of the screen. You can make them talk as fast or as slowly as you would like. Mine had been set at 1 1/2X.:bandit: Who knew??‍♀:LOL:
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I’m a reader. It’s very difficult for me to read in my household as there are folks here who want my undivided attention most of the time.:oops: Lately, I’ve been listening to Dateline and Snapped :)devil:), on a podcast, as I’m going to sleep. Seems to relax me, and I barely get past the initial introduction to the story before falling asleep. But, decided to give podcasts a break and try an audio book. That would be relaxing. Right?
Well, I selected my book, put in my earbuds and settled down for a nice bedtime story. The narrator talked so fast, it was difficult for these southern ears to understand what she was saying. I finally turned it off. Not exactly relaxing! What the heck? Why would they make an audio book where the narrator was speed reading?
The story was good, so I did my best to keep up and finished the book the following day. Believe me, that was an accomplishment! That night, decided to buy another audio book. Maybe this narrator would speak more slowly.:fingerscrossed: She did not.
Apparently, there is a speed control at the bottom of the screen. You can make them talk as fast or as slowly as you would like. Mine had been set at 1 1/2X.:bandit: Who knew??‍♀:LOL:
Now you can go back and listen to the first book to see what you missed...

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Omg that's FUNNY!

I have a Coast to coast am subscription so I listen to the shows to sleep. Started listening while patrolling night shift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Omg that's FUNNY!

I phase a Coast to coast am subscription so I listen to the shows to sleep. Started listening while patrolling night shift.
I enjoy listening while working in the kitchen…very relaxing!

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
Back in pre-COVID times, I used to be on the road quite a bit and would listen to audio books while I drove. I sometimes would get through three or four full-length books a week. If you don't want to pay for them (which can get expensive if you're paying per book), check out your local library. In NC, we have something called NC Digital Library where you can borrow mp3s and listen to them on an app (ours is Overdrive or Libby). The selection is hit or miss, but you can usually find something good for a long drive.

Now, I'm working from home, but like to listen to books or podcasts when I walk my dog.

OP
OP
Tracy Bowman

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back in pre-COVID times, I used to be on the road quite a bit and would listen to audio books while I drove. I sometimes would get through three or four full-length books a week. If you don't want to pay for them (which can get expensive if you're paying per book), check out your local library. In NC, we have something called NC Digital Library where you can borrow mp3s and listen to them on an app (ours is Overdrive or Libby). The selection is hit or miss, but you can usually find something good for a long drive.

Now, I'm working from home, but like to listen to books or podcasts when I walk my dog.
Great advice. Thanks!

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I do audible books when I go on trips. I have so gotten into the story that I've been known to miss exits and turn offs...spooky
Sponsored