Are people not aware of this 34" tire?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I know there are people looking for tall tire tire setups, particular ones that aren't too wide. Why hasn't there been much talk about the BFG 34X10.50R17 KO2? The guy in the link below is running this tire on his factory wheels with a 2.5" lift and no rubbing. However, it doesn't mention if the crash bars were altered or if he is running a spacer. A spacer may not be required though since the section width is almost a full inch narrower than an LT285/70R17.

Though an expensive tire, I would think there would be more talk about this setup since there doesn't seem to be much modification required to fit.

https://gearjunkie.com/ford-ranger-overland-truck-cody-townsend
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That comes out to about a 265/85-17. Defn taller and skinnier than a 285/70-17. Interesting

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
$350 a piece is too steep for me.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I want a fat tire. I'm on sand a lot and will never see snow or deep mud.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
For a tire that tall, I would want a gearing change. 4.11:1 would be close to correcting the speedometer error.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Actual s
For a tire that tall, I would want a gearing change. 4.11:1 would be close to correcting the speedometer error.
Actual size is 33.5 for what its worth. Iā€™ve been looking at that tire since I read this article a few months ago. The guy(Cody Townsend) is a pro skier that lives a couple hours from me and lives out of the truck for much of the year. Iā€™m gonna chat him up on Instagram and see what he thinks about the gearing.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Speedmeter correction can be done with a computer easy. Either a tuner or spedo correction tool will do the trick without gear changing.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Speedmeter correction can be done with a computer easy. Either a tuner or spedo correction tool will do the trick without gear changing.
I'm sure that there are other ways to correct the speedometer/odometer readings. However, that is only the most visible effect of increasing the tire size. These tires weigh 56 pounds each, about 20 pounds, or 65%, more than the stock tires. Thatā€™s going to place additional load on the entire the entire drivetrain and chassis. There is a lot of ā€œheadroomā€ in a chassis designed to (at least theoretically) tow 7500 pounds, but rotating mass has different effects than a static load. You canā€™t fix all of the problems by changing the drive axle gearing, but you can restore the mechanical advantage (torque) that Ford designed into the drivetrain. There are numerous examples of small-engined vehicles with tires that are much larger than 34 inches, and nowhere near the power of the the 2.3T engine in our Rangers. All of them use low gearing to make best use of the engine power. Itā€™s not the cheap way, though, and people seem to like cheap shortcuts. Itā€˜s probably best to get working on the larger fuel tank that some are discussing, because reduced driving range will be the second most obvious effect of the larger tires.

Iā€™m not against doing this. I have driven in many places where the added ground clearance would be useful, and been towed out of more than one.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm sure that there are other ways to correct the speedometer/odometer readings. However, that is only the most visible effect of increasing the tire size. These tires weigh 56 pounds each, about 20 pounds, or 65%, more than the stock tires. Thatā€™s going to place additional load on the entire the entire drivetrain and chassis. There is a lot of ā€œheadroomā€ in a chassis designed to (at least theoretically) tow 7500 pounds, but rotating mass has different effects than a static load. You canā€™t fix all of the problems by changing the drive axle gearing, but you can restore the mechanical advantage (torque) that Ford designed into the drivetrain. There are numerous examples of small-engined vehicles with tires that are much larger than 34 inches, and nowhere near the power of the the 2.3T engine in our Rangers. All of them use low gearing to make best use of the engine power. Itā€™s not the cheap way, though, and people seem to like cheap shortcuts. Itā€˜s probably best to get working on the larger fuel tank that some are discussing, because reduced driving range will be the second most obvious effect of the larger tires.

Iā€™m not against doing this. I have driven in many places where the added ground clearance would be useful, and been towed out of more than one.
For correcting the speedometer the best method is going to be with some kind of electronic device as mentioned already.

With that being said you are not wrong with the effects a bigger tire can put on these trucks. When I went to a 265/70-17 from a 255/65-17 my rpm changed for Hwy speeds and 9th became more prominent over 10th for my drive home(the joy of hills and mountain passes). Will the weight cause enough issue that you are talking about? Most likely not. Other members here already run 34's and few run 35's. I myself am at a 32 inch and am still considering going to a 34 of sorts.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I think anyone who wants a taller tire like this is going to be well aware of the pros and cons. The purpose of the thread was to draw attention to this tire size as an option. I was not aware that it existed and I believe that more would be interested since it seems as though it requires little modification when on stock wheels other than a 2.5" lift. It's approximately 3/4" taller than a LT285/70R17 with less hassle to make it fit.

In addition, I believe it would do just fine in the sand when aired down. 8.8" of tread width (before aired down), plus the long contact patch due to the taller diameter would work well in that scenario.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Screw FX4
255/80r17 is almost the same size but there are more reasonably priced options.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I have 285/70/17 its a good over all tire, good sound wise on the interstate and no big tire bounce and a good A/T snow /mud I dont know if or what the offset is on my Roush Rims are but I does not have a spacer and I have my crash bars, and a Rough Country Lift, I am not even sure how high of a lift but it sits pretty tall :) they measure out to 33" the Ridge Grappler seems to be a good tire but did not wear very good for me but that could be a Mr.Tire fault when I got it aligned too, I run them at 40psi next tire change I am going with the Wildpeaks

20230622_110803.jpg

20230622_110817.jpg

20230622_110833.jpg

20230731_160654.jpg
Sponsored