Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I should have these installed early next week along wtih a few other suspension goodies! Can't wait, and APG/Matt are awesome to work with!

Mike

20201119_120040.jpg
HI Mike,

You have increased the friction damping greatly. Will be interesting to see how ride control is affected. When I managed Ford Offroad Racing, we had a company sponsor Ford teams called National Spring. They as many very thing spring leaves. While not paper thin they were much thinner than what you have, However...they were helping the poor shock technology of the day. Not sure if the company is still around. They were great with which to work!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
HI Mike,

You have increased the friction damping greatly. Will be interesting to see how ride control is affected. When I managed Ford Offroad Racing, we had a company sponsor Ford teams called National Spring. They as many very thing spring leaves. While not paper thin they were much thinner than what you have, However...they were helping the poor shock technology of the day. Not sure if the company is still around. They were great with which to work!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

I have ridden in a truck with the prototype Deavers and kings rear adjustable shocks. Ride quality is amazing on road and even better off. Really looking forward to getting this installed. Also, I have the heavy duty ones intended for rack/tent/camper/extra bed weight, so the leaf packs for the standard apg/Deaver might be thinner!

Mike

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Any update on this - get them installed??
Sorry, forgot to post here. Quick and dirty tested the truck unloaded while driving home, and while I was well below the intended bedweight, the truck never felt oversprung. Soaked up small and large bumps smoothly without any bounciness.

Took it offroading a few days later, completely exceeded expectations. Dirt road that would cause the back end to get squirrely got eaten up with easy, rocks, bumps, whoops all handed extremely well. Flew down a section of whoops and nothing budged in the truck bed.

I had 2 other ranger owners drive it to make sure I wasn't under some placebo effect ?. Both have apg/Deaver leafs in there future now. My best friend thinks it's a night and day transformation of the truck.

Highly recommend them, yes, they're pricy but most people can do the standard leafpack.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4
Sorry, forgot to post here. Quick and dirty tested the truck unloaded while driving home, and while I was well below the intended bedweight, the truck never felt oversprung. Soaked up small and large bumps smoothly without any bounciness.

Took it offroading a few days later, completely exceeded expectations. Dirt road that would cause the back end to get squirrely got eaten up with easy, rocks, bumps, whoops all handed extremely well. Flew down a section of whoops and nothing budged in the truck bed.

I had 2 other ranger owners drive it to make sure I wasn't under some placebo effect ?. Both have apg/Deaver leafs in there future now. My best friend thinks it's a night and day transformation of the truck.

Highly recommend them, yes, they're pricy but most people can do the standard leafpack.

Great - thanks.

Any unloaded pics from the side with the HD leafs in?

The HD leafs are interesting for towing, but the truck spends most of its life unloaded.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

What shocks / lift components have you installed? These rear leaf springs are high on my priority list when I do my lift with coilovers and shocks.

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Icon 2.0s but that's being changed up tonight

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Great - thanks.

Any unloaded pics from the side with the HD leafs in?

The HD leafs are interesting for towing, but the truck spends most of its life unloaded.
You're probably fine on the standard pack but reach out to Matt at apg before you order.

Here's a mostly unloaded Deaver pic versus a fairly loaded factory leaf pic

20201127_145220.jpg

20201115_100528.jpg

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Icon 2.0s but that's being changed up tonight
Thanks, much. What are you changing them out with? Your build is very similar to what I'm looking to do. Icon wheels are on my list as well since I don't want a lot of poke.

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Thanks, much. What are you changing them out with? Your build is very similar to what I'm looking to do. Icon wheels are on my list as well since I don't want a lot of poke.
King 2.5s with adjusters

OP
OP
themikeyan

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
Thanks much. Let us know how it rides. There is little info out there on how 2.5's ride on the street as well as off road.
From the guys I know that went icon to king, slightly rougher on road, quite a big difference in kings favor offroad