Anyone tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer?

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I’m considering purchasing a “Covered Wagon Brand” enclosed trailer to haul my BMW GSA motorcycle to Bike Week; rallies, etc. Age has sneaked up on me at 78.
MC too long for trick bed. Scourge myself for not keeping my perfect, full size pickup.
I’d really like a 14’ trailer, but will settle for a 12’. Any recommended brands?

What are your towing experiences? I know that according to the owner’s manual, no problem. But, gas mileage; motor strain, ability to see behind with stick mirrors? Other info?
Thanks!!!
Sponsored

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I’m considering purchasing a “Covered Wagon Brand” enclosed trailer to haul my BMW GSA motorcycle to Bike Week; rallies, etc. Age has sneaked up on me at 78.
MC too long for trick bed. Scourge myself for not keeping my perfect, full size pickup.
I’d really like a 14’ trailer, but will settle for a 12’. Any recommended brands?

What are your towing experiences? I know that according to the owner’s manual, no problem. But, gas mileage; motor strain, ability to see behind with stick mirrors? Other info?
Thanks!!!
These trucks like all trucks are built to tow so no worries on "motor strain".

I tow an 18' boat and my mirrors are fine. That one thing I checked when I purchased the truck. I didn't want dinky mirrors.

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I tow a 5x10 with 2 motorcycles.

Easy. Peasy.

ACD56A4C-A84C-4D9A-8A37-FE4D3A665B81_1_105_c.jpeg

6x12 seems overkill for one bike.

Trailers are somewhat regional. There are national brands, like Wells Cargo and others that may not be available everywhere.

Dealers order well in advance of their season, so what you find on lots may not always reflect the best possible selection of configurations.

Shop around an look them over in person. Find a good dealer and ask what the possibilities are.

Steel frame vs. Aluminum?

1/2 inch Particle board interior vs. 1/4 inch lauan?

RV-style door?

Ramp back?

Flooring?

Finish?

You get the idea

silvergf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
Yes, 77 hit me before I was ready. But I have 2019 Lariat FX4 that I use to tow a 6X12 trailer from Greenwood Lake to Memphis. Loaded going, empty returning. Loaded weight app. 3000lbs plus trailer weight. Best speed for mileage was 70 mph interstate. Loaded 10mpg, empty 14mpg. There seem to be no strain on engine and stopping (no trailer brakes) was more than adequate' Mirrows were OK. Mileage maybe better with normal trailer, but I had this one build with 7' highl on inside so I could stand up and not have to bend over. That said it added moe wind resistance. You will be OK, just be careful.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Our trailer was narrow enough so wider mirrors were not warranted. We did tow it at 80mph a few times (yes, legal there) and fuel mileage dropped to 10, give or take. Towing any trailer is about it being a sail, more so than the weight. Stopping is about its weight... Our 2019 does fine at towing and we've used it much for that purpose. In fact, its done quite well at that having just a 4 banger. We'd get another in a millisecond.

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Thanks!!!
I towed one of the U-haul 6 x 12 trailers a few weeks back. About 800 miles round-trip. Trip out was loaded, trip back was empty. Kept the speed down around 65 the whole way.

Mileage: Got about 15-16 MPG both ways (had a bit of a tail-wind on the way there).
Motor strain: Nope. It definitely took a bit more gas pedal to accelerate, but the motor handled it like a champ. Went up and down some decent hills and the motor didn't care.
Mirrors: I would have liked a little bit wider of a view, but the stock mirrors are ok. If I was towing on a regular basis I'd definitely be getting some good strap-ons.

My biggest complaint was that the empty trailer was really bouncy on the crappy Ohio interstate, and I could really feel that reverberate through the truck. Overall I'm really impressed that a pickup with a 2.3 L could tow like such a champ. I'm going to be making the same trip in another week or two, and I have absolutely no reservations about it.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
RC Brand 6x12 V nose with an AC unit. Weighs 2300# empty. Three crotch rockets for the track, a generator, and a whole bunch of other crap that brings it well over 4000#. Towed it from Michigan to California and back at 70mph the whole way. Up over the Eisenhower Pass (11,158' elevation) west of Denver and across the American Southwest.

Like a champ.

A six foot wide trailer is as wide as the truck, so the stock mirrors can see along the side of the trailer just fine, and whatever is directly behind you is their problem.

Other people tow MUCH larger trailers than this. A 14 footer would be no problem. I have 56,000 miles and don't have second thoughts about hooking onto this to go across the country. This truck is a beast.

Get a weight distributing hitch, though. Makes a world of difference.
PXL_20200918_173618592.jpg

OP
OP
Kemo Sabe

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks for all of your insights! Looks like I’m okay on my towering thoughts. Big thing now is gas mileage, but that was a given.
THANKS very much!

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Let us know how it works out for you. And please post pics of your trailer.

Concerning fuel mileage, if we need to tow something that's secondary. How often are we towing X,Y or X? The trucks ablity to tow somehtign safely, is more importnat to us and we stay well below its max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kemo Sabe

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Let us know how it works out for you. And please post pics of your trailer.

Concerning fuel mileage, if we need to tow something that's secondary. How often are we towing X,Y or X? The trucks ablity to tow somehtign safely, is more importnat to us and we stay well below its max.
Hey Ally!
As soon as I can find a good, quality trailer! Seems there is a run them now, and most not ordering till spring. I found a good Covered Wagon brand, just like I wanted, but procrastinated; snooze and lose??. I have been going to Bike Week Daytona for years, just to get out of Dodge, after most of the winter has passed here in upstate SC. I TENT camp, at Holiday Travel Park, one exit north of Daytona Harley-Bruce Rissmeier’s place. My friends from Ohio and Milwaukee go every year around 1 Jan, but they are single. They have big rigs, with trailers. One has adapted his trailer for a toy hauler. That’s what I intend. Based on some comments, I’m considering a 14 footer. But, we’ll see. I sure appreciate your and others responses!
kemo Sabe Larry inTravelers Rest, SC

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I’ve towed a 6x12 from uhaul with a Sorento with a V6 and AWD. I tow a travel trailer (camper) with the Ranger that’s heavier and acts like a speed brake without issue, so I can say unless your doing something really silly, I doubt you’ll have issues.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I’ve towed a 6x12 from uhaul with a Sorento with a V6 and AWD. I tow a travel trailer (camper) with the Ranger that’s heavier and acts like a speed brake without issue, so I can say unless your doing something really silly, I doubt you’ll have issues.
Yeah, I second this. Go to some of the travel trailer threads, and you won't think twice about towing a 6x12.

Groo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020
Occupation
Gainfully umployed 5 Pointed Star
Groo here
The biggest problem is many people hitch up a trailer and think they can drive like empty..
The test track in ohio did some test some years ago about wind effect by trailers.
Little around 45/50, a lot at 55/65 and HUGE at 70+ ..
80mph , Oh My!!!! that is where airplanes fly.....
Sponsored