Anyone Purchase a Courtesy Vehicle?

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Yeah, the 9 speed was a transverse (FWD) trans and the 10 speed for RWD vehicles. My point was that it isn't really "new" - it has been in the wild for a few years now. That was one thing that gave me some peace of mind when ordering this truck - both the engine and trans are not really new - the engine is mostly the same as the Mustang, etc one and the trans is identical to the F-150 one. Less chance of a "first year production" issue.
oh i get what you mean. To me a few years old is new technology lol.
Sponsored

drmoffitt

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Physician
Vehicle Showcase
I've been in contact with about 7 dealers about purchasing a 2019 Ranger.
I got about 5 emails deep with one dealer before they told me the Ranger I was interested in was a Courtesy Vehicle--but the at the same price as other non-courtesy vehicles.
(Other dealers clearly identify trucks as "Courtesy" on their websites under the truck's "Status.")
The salesman said it is "new" as it has not been titled.
I understand that they can legally sell it as "new" but at the same it's intellectually dishonest to think of it as not being used.

Has anyone purchased a Courtesy Vehicle?
I bought mine used with 14k on it. It was in perfect shape aside from 1 dime sized ding on the passenger door. I got a fully loaded Lariat with 501A and sport fx4 for $35k

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
oh i get what you mean. To me a few years old is new technology lol.
Yeah, I guess it depends on your perspective. It is new, but not bleeding edge new. :crackup:

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ya I guess mostly I was just explaining that it has nothing to do with the shitstorm that was the 6 speed powershift. I'm curious why Ford didn't want to use GM's 9 speed front wheel drive tranny. GM sure was willing to use Ford's design. Makes it seem like Ford got nothing from the deal but I guess it was their choice. My favorite thing about Ford is also my least favorite which is they are always trying to create something brand new and innovative. It's awesome but there is a likely chance there will be issues. As for this 10 speed though it seems to be an amazing tranny. I love how it shifts.
Really it disgusts me how Ford acted with the powershift because they aren't like that usually they own up to their mistakes. I personally know quite a few ppl who had Fiestas and Focus' that had tranny shift issues and the dealers denied the hell out of it. They would bring them to me and I was like no way this is how it's supposed to work. So then I thought it was the dealers in my area but I'm friends with a tech at one of them and he told me Ford was telling the dealers to tell the customers it was normal behavior. Oh well, not as bad as what VW did haha.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Any insurance people here? I just remembered when my salesman was on the phone with my insurance company he lied and said my vehicle only had 17 miles on it not the 2017 it really had. Anyone know why he would do that? I think it's because they would have an issue selling it as a new vehicle with more than lot mileage. Anyway it was in the paperwork that it had the 2017 miles so at least I wont get boned on my warranty or anything.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at one at a FX4 courtesy that I was ready to buy had about 5000 miles on it and I believe discounted $10 to $12k off sticker. The only reason I wouldn't do the deal was I was trading in my paid off Jeep - and they wanted to give me a ridiculously low amount for my 3 year old jeep.

Make sure you check it over really well for scratches and stuff and get free oil change on top of the ford pass points.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Courtesy vehicles around here are the loaners given when your vehicle is in for service.
Sales man drive them too..

I looked at a Ranger that was and a Escape. I wish we bought the Escape.. We missed out.
They come with manufactures warranty and rebates.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought one with 2300 miles. I am supposedly getting 42k instead of 36k warranty. I will believe it when I see it.
Also check it out VERY carefully. I noticed scratches in the windshield from the wiper blades after I left. Waiting to hear back how they will handle. They sent pics to For. Service guy does not think Ford will cover, in which case he says the dealership will. Again, I will believe it when I see it.

Anyway happy with my choice, got a good discount and would do it again.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I got about 5 emails deep with one dealer before they told me the Ranger I was interested in was a Courtesy Vehicle--but the at the same price as other non-courtesy vehicles.
(Other dealers clearly identify trucks as "Courtesy" on their websites under the truck's "Status.")
I understand that they can legally sell it as "new" but at the same it's intellectually dishonest to think of it as not being used.

Are you saying they offered you the courtesy vehicle at the same price as the actual new ones? I'd say hard pass on that.

I agree with you, while legally they can sell it as new due to it never being titled, a courtesy vehicle doesn't seem "new" indeed.

Now if they'd give a nice discount on it, I wouldn't mind it in all honesty. But without, nah, go for the ones that are actually new.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
a fair discount is a fair compensation on the mileage used. Granted there should be wiggle room depending on the driving it was subjected to. (salesman using it VS test drives)

Not sure on the rates used for lease returns, but thats a good starting point

if it's say $0.50 per mile, then a 1000 miles gets a discount of $500.
to expect any more is being kinda greedy yourself.
that's dead on actually mine gave me an extra grand toward my trade in to make up for the 2017 miles on my courtesy vehicle buy.
I would certainly just bought a new truck but they didn't have any other Rangers i liked and I didn't wanna wait or pay for a transfer.

R_B

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
Occupation
Retired

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

My dealer talked that some of his Rangers were Courtesy vehicles. They had a name for the program, although what they actually called it escapes me. It's a Courtesy vehicle for a month or two or until it reaches 2000 miles. They then sell it at a discount. The discount was $2,000 as I remember it.

If your dealer is selling Courtesy vehicles "as new" for no discount, then look elsewhere!! That's baloney!!

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
My 19 XLT FX4 black package was a courtesy vehicle with 2,200 miles, sticker was $38.5 I paid $28.9 before taxes/lic. it was $32.3 out the door just over 2 months ago.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
My dealer talked that some of his Rangers were Courtesy vehicles. They had a name for the program, although what they actually called it escapes me. It's a Courtesy vehicle for a month or two or until it reaches 2000 miles. They then sell it at a discount. The discount was $2,000 as I remember it.

If your dealer is selling Courtesy vehicles "as new" for no discount, then look elsewhere!! That's baloney!!
My neigbors family owns the ford dealer where I bought my Ranger. He constantly has a new vehicle that he has to put 2k on. He said its a program through ford to get vehicles through the dealerships. I forget the name too. Ill check with him this weekend.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter

According to my neighbor its the fctp program (ford courtesy transportation program)
Sponsored