RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not here - mine shifts really smooth - most of the time I can't even feel the shifts unless it skips a gear.

I think this 10 speed is an engineering marvel. Sounds like that one guy got a faulty trans - it should get replaced - certainly nothing that seems to be an engineering flaw.

BayouBeau

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Army
I still have less than 400 miles on my ranger but so far I have only felt one or two shifts. I had to put the tac on the display so I could make sure the truck is actually shifting. This trans is seriously an amazing piece of engineering!

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I still have less than 400 miles on my ranger but so far I have only felt one or two shifts. I had to put the tac on the display so I could make sure the truck is actually shifting. This trans is seriously an amazing piece of engineering!
If you press the + or - button, it shows you on your cluster what gear you're in.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well, mine does not behave the way the article describes but it certainly does not shift "smoothly". Quite the opposite actually. I have checked and it does not qualify for any of the TSBs out there.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, mine does not behave the way the article describes but it certainly does not shift "smoothly". Quite the opposite actually. I have checked and it does not qualify for any of the TSBs out there.
If it is not shifting smoothly on a regular basis I would absolutely take it to the dealer. Ask to drive another truck as well for comparison. This transmission is the smoothest shifting automatic I've ever owned.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all about how your operate the gas pedal with this transmission, and I (as well as everyone that has ridden in my Ranger) agree it is the smoothest shifting transmission available. If you are smooth on the throttle and stay steady on throttle through the shift points it is fantastic. On the other hand if you make a lot of on/off throttle or pull off throttle as it is trying to shift, it’s gonna be rough.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
It's smooth, but I can definitely feel it shifting. Then again, that's not the car, it's the fact that I my feet weigh too much ;)

That said, the only time I do really notice it, is in the morning with a cold engine, the shift from first to third gear is truly noticeable, more than I believe it should be, but nothing I think that would warrant a lawsuit lol

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's smooth, but I can definitely feel it shifting. Then again, that's not the car, it's the fact that I my feet weigh too much ;)

That said, the only time I do really notice it, is in the morning with a cold engine, the shift from first to third gear is truly noticeable, more than I believe it should be, but nothing I think that would warrant a lawsuit lol
To me, when it skips gears it feels like a "normal" transmission (5-6 speed auto), which I definitely feel and it kind of makes sense since the ratios are farther apart - it would be essentially like a one gear shift in a 5 speed auto. But even those shifts I would not describe as "hard" or "harsh". The overdrive shifts in particular are almost not noticeable.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
To me, when it skips gears it feels like a "normal" transmission (5-6 speed auto), which I definitely feel and it kind of makes sense since the ratios are farther apart - it would be essentially like a one gear shift in a 5 speed auto. But even those shifts I would not describe as "hard" or "harsh". The overdrive shifts in particular are almost not noticeable.
I agree, it doesn't feel like it is hard or harsh :)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What is this with all the litigation??? First, it's MPGs (I get 22 and 27 without hypermiling. ) Transmission is like butter,,,,

Too many lawyers looking for an easy payout. I feel like sending a letter to Fords lawyers refuting the MPG and transmission cases. Extortion is alive and well in the auto business,

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
That article seems a bit blown out of proportion. If anyone is filing a lawsuit due to crap transmission shifting, it should be the 3rd gen Tacoma owners :giggle:

I will say though, that in my first 800 miles in the Ranger, it sure doesn't shift very smooth compared to the one I test drove. Definitely going to look into what the TSB is about.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That article seems a bit blown out of proportion. If anyone is filing a lawsuit due to crap transmission shifting, it should be the 3rd gen Tacoma owners :giggle:

I will say though, that in my first 800 miles in the Ranger, it sure doesn't shift very smooth compared to the one I test drove. Definitely going to look into what the TSB is about.
Dyed in the wool Tacoma drivers have binders of excuses for Toyotas 3rd Gen mess. So why would Toyota change anything? They are selling in record numbers. Tacoma has become like Harley..................... "a lifestyle" purchase.
and "status symbol" for the man bun wearing skinny jeans with a plaid shirt with a beard (for those who can grow one)....LOL OK that was a tad rough,,,,

and yet there are 48,000 replies to the subject of a single tune thread...48,000 want to know and apply it. not because they want to....but to make the 3rd Gen driveable. they had to buy a $700 OVTUNE
I dumped the Tacoma and bought the Ford because it doesn't NEED a tune but for a few, there are a ton of tunes available.

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Dyed in the wool Tacoma drivers have binders of excuses for Toyotas 3rd Gen mess. So why would Toyota change anything? They are selling in record numbers. Tacoma has become like Harley..................... "a lifestyle" purchase.
and "status symbol" for the man bun wearing skinny jeans with a plaid shirt with a beard (for those who can grow one)....LOL OK that was a tad rough,,,,

and yet there are 48,000 replies to the subject of a single tune thread...48,000 want to know and apply it. not because they want to....but to make the 3rd Gen driveable. they had to buy a $700 OVTUNE
I dumped the Tacoma and bought the Ford because it doesn't NEED a tune but for a few, there are a ton of tunes available.
EXACTLY what I did too.
Sponsored