Anyone do a tune AND an extended warranty?

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Well, I tow a lot so it will be the Ford tune for me....after I get an intercooler and radiator upgrade at least. Rather do that first...... that's what maturity is right there lol

I have the extended warranty, it is not my race car and I really just want that torque and better throttle response since it seems Ford numbs the pedal a bit on street modes. Sand mode feels nice and about real-time throttle input. Think Ford is trying to avoid the Ranger having the same reputation as Mustang owners (hitting crowds of people).

Keep in mind that ANY tune will be visible in the flash counter.

I think someone mentioned that there is also an ignition cycle counter that is reset every time the vehicle is flashed, which means that if you flash back to stock before taking your vehicle in the ignition counter will show that you've started the truck 2 or 3 times since you've had it. Red flag there.

Even though mine has less than 100 miles running a tune, I'm sure my flash counter is in the double digits just due to all the tune failures I had.

I personally think that the bottom line is going to be the dealer that you're working with.

Some dealers are better than others in dealing with tuned vehicles.

If they decide to go hardline they can make your warranty void in a heartbeat.

Or, they can be flexible and help you out if you encounter an issue.

As with most anything, YMMV.
100% this. Used to be a Benz tech and the dealer really can do a lot to have a bad situation go either way for the customer if it is in a grey area. Like doing the intercooler and radiator I want to do, if there is an engine failure, a bad dealer might blame those parts. Another dealer wont care.

I used to see K&N filters kill a lot of MAF sensors, if it was under warranty I didn't care though and gave the customer the benefit of the doubt even though the likely over lubed it on a cleaning judging by the way they would look sometimes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
FYI...FP tune goes back to stock file with the press of a button. I went back running 87 grade with my FP tune awhile back for saving $ on gas. Will go back to 93 grade and use tune again in near future. Takes seconds. Just press the button and confirm stock file or tune file

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Well, I tow a lot so it will be the Ford tune for me....after I get an intercooler and radiator upgrade at least. Rather do that first...... that's what maturity is right there lol

I have the extended warranty, it is not my race car and I really just want that torque and better throttle response since it seems Ford numbs the pedal a bit on street modes. Sand mode feels nice and about real-time throttle input. Think Ford is trying to avoid the Ranger having the same reputation as Mustang owners (hitting crowds of people).

100% this. Used to be a Benz tech and the dealer really can do a lot to have a bad situation go either way for the customer if it is in a grey area. Like doing the intercooler and radiator I want to do, if there is an engine failure, a bad dealer might blame those parts. Another dealer wont care.

I used to see K&N filters kill a lot of MAF sensors, if it was under warranty I didn't care though and gave the customer the benefit of the doubt even though the likely over lubed it on a cleaning judging by the way they would look sometimes.
I read somewhere on there that the cooling in our trucks is as good or better then the Mustang ecoboost for towing purposes. I'm not worried about overheating.

I remember K&N insisting the MAF thing was a myth.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I read somewhere on there that the cooling in our trucks is as good or better then the Mustang ecoboost for towing purposes. I'm not worried about overheating.

I would say most climates yeah no issues. I tow in +100F desert heat. If we are close to water, 110F is ok with us lol

There are some climbes in Utah in the summer where engine temps will break 230f if I try to stick to 70mph. Even when I was in the 230F range, the gauge barely moved past middle but 230F on a turbo vehicle is uncomfortable for me. The cooler she stays the longer she will last.

I can feel when the intercooler gets heat soaked when climbing too.

That said, technically cooling is fine, just slow down but adding the tune to it will only make things warmer.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I would say most climates yeah no issues. I tow in +100F desert heat. If we are close to water, 110F is ok with us lol

There are some climbes in Utah in the summer where engine temps will break 230f if I try to stick to 70mph. Even when I was in the 230F range, the gauge barely moved past middle but 230F on a turbo vehicle is uncomfortable for me. The cooler she stays the longer she will last.

I can feel when the intercooler gets heat soaked when climbing too.

That said, technically cooling is fine, just slow down but adding the tune to it will only make things warmer.
Luckily the tuner comes with all kinds of temp gauges. If I can rig up a decent mount for it (not using the suction cup windshield mount) I'll leave it plugged in.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired

Getting filter oil on the MAF meter /MAP sensor DOES affect performance/driveability - a well known fact for decades. It's a no brainer - don't get crazy respraying your filter - one light coat on the outside only and you're done. Someone even sells 'blue oil' for those so inclined.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Yes. My 19' Ranger has been tuned since abut 5k miles (49k current) by Unleashed and I have the Ford 125k mile warranty. I have had some warranty work done (not much) with zero issues. I leave the tune installed and have never even been asked about it.
Sponsored