First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
I assume this falls into this category being a engine topic.
Saw this the other day, and given the previous write-ups before the article claiming the project was put on ice... It seemed like this was a realistic idea this group was going to manage.
That said, has anyone looked into the possibility of a coyote swap from a GT? Would be interested to entertain the idea to keep up with whatever Ranger Raptor gets introduced to the USA if / when that happens.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/v8-raptor-given-the-axe
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I assume this falls into this category being a engine topic.
Saw this the other day, and given the previous write-ups before the article claiming the project was put on ice... It seemed like this was a realistic idea this group was going to manage.
That said, has anyone looked into the possibility of a coyote swap from a GT? Would be interested to entertain the idea to keep up with whatever Ranger Raptor gets introduced to the USA if / when that happens.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/v8-raptor-given-the-axe
If you can find the room in the tiny engine bay and give us all a good reason to do it then sure. Be aware I would rather keep the 2.3 ecoboost as the overall efficiency is greater comparef to a naturally aspirated engine.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
im going to do it.
i want more power.
i want to mash that throttle and shred rubber with my kids on board.
i want the back wheel hop to not be confused with the shudder anymore
i dont want to mess with a tune, a warranty/insurance or whatever we call it these days.
i dont want turbo problems, or intake valve issues and such. and I dont need a turbo blanket.
i dont want fuel economy. screw the Earth. we are moving to Mars.
i dont want anyone to pass me while i'm towing a max load camping trailer through the mountains.
i want my paint peeling because of the sheer speed, not cuz gravel shreds it off.
Have I got the truck for you then!

09C796A5-01D9-4038-9E5C-59B790A87E98.jpeg

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Considering & actually HAVING the capital and or skills to do such a thing are two COMPLETELY different things lol.

I've CONSIDERED having a supermodel girlfriend before, however... we come back around to having the required capital and skills ?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Honestly, I think a Coyote swap would be easier than a 3.5 or 2.7 EB. As big as the 'yote is, the twin turbos and piping eat up space in a hurry.

Exhaust manifold clearance will likely be the make/break issue.

For those that think the 5G Ranger's engine bay is tight, try stuffing a 302 into the previous US Ranger! The 303 is only 19" wide and still is a stupid tight fit.

Plenty of room for the top half but dumb stuff like a water pump, oil pan and exhaust get problematic.

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
I'd much rather do a solid front axle swap. I think the 2.3T is plenty of power.

For the money it would take to do a Coyote swap, building the current engine with pistons, rods, bigger turbo, etc. seems like a better route.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
We dont need more power-but trying to squeeze every ounce of power from our current engines
The V8s of today are not the V8s of old, they run better and smoother and longer
The modern V8 can be the most reliable engines built, when it counts the most.
They are an excellent balance between performance and efficiency
The heart of America was built around V8s, from racing to working.
It helped win a war
It is one of the greatest designed engine platforms
Weekend drag races where a big part of many Americans and still is. This will continue even when the electrics takes over.
When the world thinks of an American engine they think of High powered V8s.
(Every country Ive been to ((EVERY)) When we talk about cars, the American V8 is desired and admired.
Just bc someone wants,desires,or loves the V8, it does not make them a:
I want so much power I can launch my car to the moon.
Im compensating bc of blah
I want to kill the environment as fast as possible
I mean we can AOC it for days-------------------?

Nothing will ever beat the sound and balance of a V8 and nothing will ever replace its impact in the world.
If someone wants a V8 in their truck, who are we to judge their desires or intentions for this? So lighten up ? sometimes people want different portions from the same pie.

Some of you guys are anti V8 over everything lol, that's ok. No use in trying to constantly justify your reasons for it every time one is mentioned. Well bc you have your own reasons. They make the 4 bangers for everything today with really nice HP numbers and efficiency. Thats great it takes care of your wants and needs.
Everyone should be proud of the American V8, bc its days are probably limited. The same with all gas engines. Before you accuse me ? here is pic of my Dodge 2.4ltr 550HP dyno ed to the wheels car.
EDIT: after re reading this, it sounds kinda b$tchy lol, that was not my intention. Im just not good typing words to make a small point. ?

IMG_0410.JPG

Last edited:

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, who hurt you? Lol, j/k. Nobody said a V8 can't make more power than a 4 cyl and somebody will do the swap at some time. It's just that with the money and skill it would take to do the swap, it doesn't make sense for the average person to do it......yet.

The V8 is great (but let's be honest, it's days may be numbered if some people got their way)

The Coyote is one of the best motors Ford ever made.

The 4 cyl in a Jeep was a major part of winning WW2

I also have a 79 F250 with a 460.

We dont need more power-but trying to squeeze every ounce of power from current engines
The V8s of today are not the V8s of old, they run better and smoother and longer
The modern V8 can be the most reliable engines built, when it counts the most.
They are an excellent balance between performance and efficiency
The heart of America was built around V8s, from racing to working.
It helped win a war
It is one of the greatest designed engine platforms
Weekend drag races where a big part of many Americans and still is. This will continue even when the electrics takes over.
When the world thinks of an American engine they think of High powered V8s.
(Every country Ive been to ((EVERY)) When we talk about cars, the American V8 is desired and admired.
Just bc someone wants,desires,or loves the V8, it does not make them a:
I want so much power I can launch my car to the moon.
Im compensating bc of blah
I want to kill the environment as fast as possible
I mean we can AOC it for days-------------------?

Nothing will ever beat the sound and balance of a V8 and nothing will every replace its impact in the world.
If someone wants a V8 in their truck, who are you to judge their desires or intentions for this? So lighten up ? sometimes people want different portions from the same pie.

Some of you guys are anti V8 over everything, that's ok. No use in trying to constantly justify your reasons for it every time a V8 is mentioned. They make the 4 bangers for everything today with really nice HP numbers and efficiency. Thats great it takes care of your wants and needs.
Everyone should be proud of the American V8, bc its days are probably limited. The same with all gas engines. Before you accuse me ? here is pic of my Dodge 2.4ltr 550HP dynoed to the wheels car.

IMG_0410.JPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hinestly if I were to do a swap on the truck it would be the 3.2l diesel from Ford? Why you ask? Well they already have it in Australia and it works well!! I wish they would have put it in as an option here but who can say why. I got to drive a Transit with the 3.2l amd I could tell the power output is nice and can work well for the Ranger.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Wow, who hurt you? Lol, j/k. Nobody said a V8 can't make more power than a 4 cyl and somebody will do the swap at some time. It's just that with the money and skill it would take to do the swap, it doesn't make sense for the average person to do it......yet.

The V8 is great (but let's be honest, it's days may be numbered if some people got their way)

The Coyote is one of the best motors Ford ever made.

The 4 cyl in a Jeep was a major part of winning WW2

I also have a 79 F250 with a 460.
? It s like I said, I see the same comments when V8s are mentioned. Its like you cant support the idea of having one anymore. Jeeps where important agreed, but the Shermans played the part to the end, IMO ofcourse. I dont know all the statistical values of WW2. Again like I mentioned, all gas engines are on limited time, especially the V8 for personal use. I doubt we will see it in our life time, unless something major breaks through.

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
After doing a Barra swap last year in to a Mustang I have no interest in doing another. It's a nightmare trying to get a different motor to interface with all of the electronics. More power to you though! I'd love to see a Coyote in the new Ranger.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
There are some Coyote swapped Rangers in Australia. I assume with something older than a 19.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Hinestly if I were to do a swap on the truck it would be the 3.2l diesel from Ford? Why you ask? Well they already have it in Australia and it works well!! I wish they would have put it in as an option here but who can say why. I got to drive a Transit with the 3.2l amd I could tell the power output is nice and can work well for the Ranger.
That 5 cylinder diesel is what I wished Ford would of redesigned with the BI Turbo set up. Although, This 2.0 Bi Turbo has more HP and pulling power and speed. Its seems to be holding up to test also, so I guess it worked out. The bad thing about the 3,2ltr is the oil pumps where not self priming. You had to do the oil changes in 10mins. We could of had more power from the 3.2ltr though with this set up. These engines feel so dang slow compared to my past vehicles. Diesel where not ment for speed though right?
Sponsored