Anyone been having trouble with Apple CarPlay?

GreyThumper

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor, a BMW R1200GS, a BMW R1150R
Sometimes it gets wonky and I assume it's just a dodgy cable and usually things work fine when I use a newer cable. But recently all my cables stopped activating CarPlay (although my phone still gets charged, and I can still play phone audio through Sync). I tried using a friend's cable and iPhone in my vehicle, and his phone activated CarPlay. His is a 12, my phone's an older XR, but both are on iOS 14.6. Weird. I wonder what I can do next to troubleshoot and figure out how to reactivate CarPlay.
Sponsored

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes it gets wonky and I assume it's just a dodgy cable and usually things work fine when I use a newer cable. But recently all my cables stopped activating CarPlay (although my phone still gets charged, and I can still play phone audio through Sync). I tried using a friend's cable and iPhone in my vehicle, and his phone activated CarPlay. His is a 12, my phone's an older XR, but both are on iOS 14.6. Weird. I wonder what I can do next to troubleshoot and figure out how to reactivate CarPlay.
That sounds like a phone issue. I do not like the whole Apple eco system. But they have had issues with their antenna's in the past, maybe a weakness in your hardware version and a new(er) phone may be the best solution.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
The iPhone port is designed to fail. But you also might check inside the port to see if there's lint or anything inside. I had lint once, same symptoms... picked it out, good as newski.

XFlyer

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 4x4 super crew Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Mine's never worked, I gave up. Waiting until I take it in for an oil change....iPhone 12.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Since I carry mine in my pocket, the charging port fills with pocket lint.

I have to regularly clean out the port with one of those plastic toothpicks or I get weird connection issues.

XFlyer

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 4x4 super crew Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Mine's never worked, I gave up. Waiting until I take it in for an oil change....iPhone 12.
Yes my phone is a 12 as well, yesterday it work for three hours went for lunch and …no Carplay. No matter what I did rebooted the phone stopped the truck shut it down and restarted ,nothing, but the phone is charging! This morning all was fine again.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
My iPhone X works fine, both tethered and wireless (I have a wireless adapter), I did have to get a newer cable as the one I was using was really old.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Thanks, I was having that issue also, and the setting is buried deep in IOS 15.2 so I didn't see it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I rebooted my phone a 7+ and works sometimes. Changing the USB Jack position has done it other times. I think it’s a SYNC issue with the last update. Before that never had a problem with it

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV