Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
The last F-150 I owned was a 1994 F-150 XLT Supercab with the 5.8L. YES, I do miss it (though it's been about 20-odd years since I got rid of it), but I'd like it back in addition to my Ranger not in place of it.

Back when I lived in Michigan and we'd hit up the sand dunes:
dunes0.jpeg
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Ford killed the resale of the Ranger by offering all the incentives on the XLT. I wonder if it will affect the Lariat?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally looking at the F150 and then I drove it. Its a great truck but it was so big. I joked with my 10 year old (who still wishes I bought the truck) that you could play football in that back seat. I will also agree that the front seat where recliners.
Same here, I had a 150 as a rental for about a week while my 2014 Explorer was being repaired. I loved the power, the space inside the cabin, the high seating position, the ride, but, realistically, it was just too big. It would fit in my garage, just barely, but you could not move from one side of the garage to the other without keeping the door open, which is not exactly practical in the winter, etc. So when I decided to move from the Explorer to a truck, the Ranger proved to be just the right size, giving us most of the advantages of truck ownership in a size that fits my garage and lifestyle better!

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have had so many issues with my new truck that I would take back any of my previous vehicles. I can't help but to think I made the worst decision possible. Now it is the game of paying it down as quick as possible to get rid of it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had so many issues with my new truck that I would take back any of my previous vehicles. I can't help but to think I made the worst decision possible. Now it is the game of paying it down as quick as possible to get rid of it.
Hi Tyler,

Please list the problems that you are having. Would be interested to understand your concerns.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Tyler,

Please list the problems that you are having. Would be interested to understand your concerns.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

So far I have had my heater quit working (ford fixed a day later), driver door had water coming in from the top of it during a car wash (ford kept my truck three days, blamed it on the cold, dry air, replaced my seal and then forgot to put my door panel screws back in after checking the seals on the bottom of the window too), computer had glitches that took them multiple times to actually fix(was told they deleted all software and then reinstalled it) my truck had different tires on it (my fault for not checking to see that they were all the same - bought all new tires/learned my lesson) ford installed a bug deflector that I already mentioned to you and now it has a high pitched whistle (called ford today and they are going to replace it this week) after getting mudflaps installed I noticed the wheel well trims were missing plastic screws (they fixed it that night), the sensors in my front right bumper went off for two days straight with nothing in front of me even though I cleaned the sensors multiple times and parked in a heated garage (two days in the shop for that and haven't had a problem since), major rattling of the dash and door panels (just living with it)... I'm sure I will think of more. I might as well get a job at Ford because I spend all of my free time there. I don't know much about vehicles but I feel like I bought a lemon for only having 1500 miles on it. The dealership errors are definitely making it harder to put up with.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

So far I have had my heater quit working (ford fixed a day later), driver door had water coming in from the top of it during a car wash (ford kept my truck three days, blamed it on the cold, dry air, replaced my seal and then forgot to put my door panel screws back in after checking the seals on the bottom of the window too), computer had glitches that took them multiple times to actually fix(was told they deleted all software and then reinstalled it) my truck had different tires on it (my fault for not checking to see that they were all the same - bought all new tires/learned my lesson) ford installed a bug deflector that I already mentioned to you and now it has a high pitched whistle (called ford today and they are going to replace it this week) after getting mudflaps installed I noticed the wheel well trims were missing plastic screws (they fixed it that night), the sensors in my front right bumper went off for two days straight with nothing in front of me even though I cleaned the sensors multiple times and parked in a heated garage (two days in the shop for that and haven't had a problem since), major rattling of the dash and door panels (just living with it)... I'm sure I will think of more. I might as well get a job at Ford because I spend all of my free time there. I don't know much about vehicles but I feel like I bought a lemon for only having 1500 miles on it. The dealership errors are definitely making it harder to put up with.
Hi Tyler,

First, just to get grounded...was this purchased as a new vehicle?

Okay...thanks for listing these problems... First is likely to find another dealer. However some comments. You water leak is unacceptable. BS on cold dry air...doors seal...regardless of cold dry air. Why the seals were not installed correctly is an assembly plant error that should have been caught before shipment. I dealer carelessness is unacceptable but not within Fords control. Computer glitches are undefined but not unheard of on these forums...Usually there is a module that needs replacement. Tires not the same is a real red flag. From the assembly plant, tires must always match and results in me thinking something is majorly wrong with your vehicle that the dealer is not being truthfully.. I have never heard of mismatched tired in my 30 years at Ford...This is definitely not a Ford Assembly issue...Ford does not install bug deflectors...the dealer does and they F%cked up in my opinion, thus...find another dealer... I think missing wheel well trim is also a dealer problem as the line installer at the plant as well as the area foreman would have flagged the missing items... The sensor problem is a known issue in areas with ice and snow...nothing to fix this as I know. I had a fellow from Ford at my house a week ago and commented about this sensor problem as he is in the Hands Free driving area of Ford...(watch for this to come in the near future...on what are called blue roads here in the USA...It is coming folks...Soon to be announced in the next year or so.) Dash rattle seems to be a defrost duct issue and needs resolution..most dealers solve by installing a felt tape...Why your dealer is clueless about this is of concern to me...Do they live in a cave? Why hasn't the dealer taken your truck in to provide you a loaner, if this is a new truck? Something is not right here with your treatment. Sorry I cannot hep directly but I understand your frustration.

Please go to another dealer... you do not have stay with your selling dealer.

On another note...I loved going to Twin Cities Assembly...folks in Minnesota are tops!

Best of luck to you!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Tyler Knutson

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Tyler,

Okay...thanks for listing these problems... First is likely to find another dealer. However some comments. You water leak is unacceptable. BS on cold dry air...doors seal...regardless of cold dry air. Why the seals were not installed correctly is an assembly plant error that should have been caught before shipment. I dealer carelessness is unacceptable but not within Fords control. Computer glitches are undefined but not unheard of on these forums...Usually there is a module that needs replacement. Tires not the same is a real red flag. From the assembly plant, tires must always match and results in me thinking something is majorly wrong with your vehicle that the dealer is not being truthfully.. I have never heard of mismatched tired in my 30 years at Ford...This is definitely not a Ford Assembly issue...Ford does not install bug deflectors...the dealer does and they F%cked up in my opinion, thus...find another dealer... I think missing wheel well trim is also a dealer problem as the line installer at the plant as well as the area foreman would have flagged the missing items... The sensor problem is a known issue in areas with ice and snow...nothing to fix this as I know. I had a fellow from Ford at my house a week ago and commented about this sensor problem as he is in the Hands Free driving area of Ford...(watch for this to come in the near future...on what are called blue roads here in the USA...It is coming folks...Soon to be announced in the next year or so.) Dash rattle seems to be a defrost duct issue and needs resolution..most dealers solve by installing a felt tape...Why your dealer is clueless about this is of concern to me...Do they live in a cave? Why hasn't the dealer taken your truck in to provide you a loaner, if this is a new truck? Something is not right here with your treatment. Sorry I cannot hep directly but I understand your frustration.

On another note...I loved going to Twin Cities Assembly...folks in Minnesota are tops!

Best of luck to you!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Tyler,

Best of luck to you!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

Yes, this was purchased as a new vehicle. I think that the dealership is the main cause of my problems. I have been getting rentals paid for by the dealership, whether a car from the lot or enterprise when they don't have a car available. As for the tires, I don't know what to think. I will definitely be checking every detail of the truck on my next purchase. When I go in to get the bug deflector fixed, I will mention the felt tape in the door... thanks for letting me know as I thought I was just stuck with the rattling. I'm hoping now that the many small issues have been fixed, I can make it a while without another issue. Thanks, I was born and raised in Minnesota and don't see myself leaving anytime soon!!! I appreciate all of the help Phil

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

Yes, this was purchased as a new vehicle. I think that the dealership is the main cause of my problems. I have been getting rentals paid for by the dealership, whether a car from the lot or enterprise when they don't have a car available. As for the tires, I don't know what to think. I will definitely be checking every detail of the truck on my next purchase. When I go in to get the bug deflector fixed, I will mention the felt tape in the door... thanks for letting me know as I thought I was just stuck with the rattling. I'm hoping now that the many small issues have been fixed, I can make it a while without another issue. Thanks, I was born and raised in Minnesota and don't see myself leaving anytime soon!!! I appreciate all of the help Phil
Hi Tyler,

The felt tape is for the defroster duct that is prone to rattle in cold weather. The door rattle can be solved by removing and properly installing it with all the clips, as some clips get broken when the panel is removed. Would not hurt to use felt tape here as well

Good Luck!
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hey Phil,

In my 14 years at working at a dealership I've heard sales people tell customers stupid things but your tire matching issue takes the cake.
Exactly what else do they expect you to check on the truck prior to delivery?
I'd have that woeful dealer complete whatever repairs they initiated on the truck then never return there again, ever.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
In my 14 years at working at a dealership I've heard sales people tell customers stupid things but your tire matching issue takes the cake.
Exactly what else do they expect you to check on the truck prior to delivery?
I'd have that woeful dealer complete whatever repairs they initiated on the truck then never return there again, ever.
This cautionary tale reminds us that we need to shop around for dealers as well as vehicles!
Sponsored