ANOTHER Towing TT Thread! IBEX 19MBH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT / FX4
Good day everyone, I just wanted to FIRST say that I have really appreciated the conversations and insights on numerous towing threads I have read here on these forums. I have had my 2019 Ranger XLT / FX4 for over a year now and have done some minor towing (under 2000 lbs) but the family and I are securing a Travel Trailer camper here in the near future and planning a summer adventure from Cleveland out to Yellowstone for the summer, camping along the round trip. Outside of that trip it will be used for weekending at < 100 mile round trips. So I have been shopping for a while now and keeping reasonable constraints in mind I have identified a great unit I was looking for feedback regarding.

The Camper is an IBEX 19MBH
  • 24’ 8” Bumper to Hitch (19’ box)
  • Dry Weight is listed at 4148 lbs
  • Hitch Weight is listed at 465 lbs (see below assumption)
  • GVWR is 7465 lbs
  • I (over) estimated 750 lbs of ’STUFF’ (and that does NOT include batteries + propane)
  • *Double Axel

Tow Vehicle:
  • Dry Weight is 4441lbs
  • GCVWR I am finding s 12500lbs
  • Towing capacity of 7500lbs
  • I have a WDH + Sway Bars coming to me from dear ole’ dad at an estimated 100lbs
  • I (over) estimated passengers at 600lbs (don’t tell my wife!)
  • Cargo (over) estimated at 250 lbs
  • Hitch Weight was approximated as 10% (423 lbs)
So with those parameters assumed / figured and using the Towing Capacity Worksheet I am coming out to:
  • 66.7% of allowable Trailer GVWR
  • 83.84% of allowable GCVWR
  • 53 lbs UNDER GVWR (Truck + Cargo + Passengers + Hitch Weigh
So I look to be ‘in the clear’ on any and all weight restrictions with reasonable buffers. The GVWR is ‘closer’ but again I feel pretty comfortable with that because I over estimated everything else along the way (by probably 200 lbs).

My concern right now is Frontal Area which for a 7 foot wide X 9’ 11” foot tall trailer will be ~70 sq ft. While some of that is displaced by the truck as I understand it but definitely ABOVE the 55 sq foot frontal area defined by FORD.

So dear Rangers / Haulers, is your opinion to scale down further or that my diligence shown here is within the recommended realms?

Thanks for your feedback!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good day everyone, I just wanted to FIRST say that I have really appreciated the conversations and insights on numerous towing threads I have read here on these forums. I have had my 2019 Ranger XLT / FX4 for over a year now and have done some minor towing (under 2000 lbs) but the family and I are securing a Travel Trailer camper here in the near future and planning a summer adventure from Cleveland out to Yellowstone for the summer, camping along the round trip. Outside of that trip it will be used for weekending at < 100 mile round trips. So I have been shopping for a while now and keeping reasonable constraints in mind I have identified a great unit I was looking for feedback regarding.

The Camper is an IBEX 19MBH
  • 24’ 8” Bumper to Hitch (19’ box)
  • Dry Weight is listed at 4148 lbs
  • Hitch Weight is listed at 465 lbs (see below assumption)
  • GVWR is 7465 lbs
  • I (over) estimated 750 lbs of ’STUFF’ (and that does NOT include batteries + propane)
  • *Double Axel

Tow Vehicle:
  • Dry Weight is 4441lbs
  • GCVWR I am finding s 12500lbs
  • Towing capacity of 7500lbs
  • I have a WDH + Sway Bars coming to me from dear ole’ dad at an estimated 100lbs
  • I (over) estimated passengers at 600lbs (don’t tell my wife!)
  • Cargo (over) estimated at 250 lbs
  • Hitch Weight was approximated as 10% (423 lbs)
So with those parameters assumed / figured and using the Towing Capacity Worksheet I am coming out to:
  • 66.7% of allowable Trailer GVWR
  • 83.84% of allowable GCVWR
  • 53 lbs UNDER GVWR (Truck + Cargo + Passengers + Hitch Weigh
So I look to be ‘in the clear’ on any and all weight restrictions with reasonable buffers. The GVWR is ‘closer’ but again I feel pretty comfortable with that because I over estimated everything else along the way (by probably 200 lbs).

My concern right now is Frontal Area which for a 7 foot wide X 9’ 11” foot tall trailer will be ~70 sq ft. While some of that is displaced by the truck as I understand it but definitely ABOVE the 55 sq foot frontal area defined by FORD.

So dear Rangers / Haulers, is your opinion to scale down further or that my diligence shown here is within the recommended realms?

Thanks for your feedback!
Hi Control,

If anyone needs a Cat Scale at your local truck stop, it will be you. I think your 750 lbs of stuff is going to be light. Folks do not realize how much they load and you will likely be surprised. Don't forget the fresh water tank too. You are going to have to watch your loading like a hawk. My opinion is you are buying too much trailer when loaded...

Good luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Have to agree with the OP’s you’re riding a mighty fine line. I am also very aware of the things my wife says ‘she needs’ and the weight of said items. I always think a suitcase and a carry bag. In reality it’s a foot locker 3 full sized suitcases and 2 carry bags. Oh! Full set of cast iron frying pans too or we’re eating out every night otherwise... Just sayin, as that’s how it seems to work out!

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
An FYI. Look into whether or not the trailer dry weight is with or without options. A 3300 lb loading capacity with factory installed options appears rather high to me.
Also unless you are desert dry camping you will seldom need to fill the fresh water tank to capacity, but Phil is correct in being aware of how much the fresh water you will need weighs. Trailer grey and black water capacity weight don't really count against you as that is generally dumped before getting on the highway and if dry camping just mostly transferred from the fresh water tank.
The topper will help in frontal area consideration, which is primarily a fuel mileage effect.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well you asked for an opinion, so here it is. Too heavy. Yes it looks like you really put some thought into it, as everyone should when towing, but you are too ckose to maxing out. Tools, jacks, spare tires water, 5lbs tbone steaks. It adds up real quick. I'm planning on an rv trailer too but 5000lb gvwr and 21ft or smaller. Bicycles, grills, water purifiers and or filtering systems, bathroom pipes, water hoses 220v long extension cords, it all adds up real quick. Being so close to being maxed out already you have to kive with a scale and a paper to keep track of it all. Not enough to just travel light, and buy what you need when you get to where you are going. But i would not get so close to maxing out cargo weight and trailer pull weight.

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Glad to see how much thought you are putting into this. Well done! That alone tells me you will end up making the right decision.
My opinion is that your trailer choice is inadequate for the long cross-country trip, but would probably work out fine for the much shorter weekend trips to nearby campgrounds.
I regularly tow a smaller TT (17ft box, 4000 lbs fully loaded, tandem axle) in CO, WY, UT, typically 500+ mile trips. My Ranger (20 Lariat FX4) handles the job very comfortably, but we are just a couple without much cargo in the truck (maybe 600 lbs payload tops, passengers included). Here in the west, with longer distances, at high altitude, high interstate speed limits, high summer temps, high winds, it is a demanding environment for the tow vehicle. For this type of trip, I think you would be uncomfortable with the truck-trailer-cargo combination you are asking us about. If you are sure your trip to Yellowstone is going to be a one time deal, and you watch your weights closely, and are patient during the drive, then you can probably pull it off safely. However, If you decide that type of trip will be more regular, then very soon you will find yourself wanting a smaller trailer or bigger truck.
Good luck and happy camping!

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Another issue for you to consider. The conditions you described will result in very poor fuel efficiency. Expect less than 10 mpg. You will need to refuel every 150 miles or so given the Ranger relatively small tank. With my lighter setup, I average 12-13 mpg in the fast interstates such as I25 and I80 in WY and refuel every 200 miles or so. Any head wind and efficiency drops to 10 mpg.

Last edited:

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
So what is the reasonable maximum weight for a travel trailer that a Ranger can pull? If the true dry weight is 4148 lbs, I would assume 5500-5700 lbs loaded. The trailer that the OP is looking at does seem to have a significant GVWR. He would probably have to load in cinder blocks and iron bars to get up to the trailers GVWR – LOL!

I agree with Phil on weighing it on a CAT scale. If you are really serious about buying this, tell the salesman you want the real weight figures before you buy it. (1) Tell the salesman you want to do a test tow with your Ranger; and (2) you want to weigh the trailer on a CAT scale. They may balk at the test tow, but there should be no issue with you or the dealer hauling it to a CAT Scale. It would be very fair for them to ask you to pay for the weigh. As I recall, the CAT Scale has 4 plates so you should be able to get the Rangers front and rear axle weights and the trailer axle weight. If there is no line, and you can unhitch on the scale, and you can get the trailers tongue weight too. Good luck with your purchase!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I don't have my camper pics handy, but I tow what I consider to be the absolute maximum camper size (too big by many other accounts).

It however is only 5350 dry, adding about another thousand or so lbs of gear and liquids (just in case), and the ranger is still able to tow it properly.

HOWEVER: It's not something for someone with little to no towing experience. It takes concentration, and self control. Slamming the brakes is likely to get you in a bind when towing something like this, so you have to know how to react, and how much to react to each driving hazard.

My pictures are in the other Travel Trailer thread, it will be the second one, not the Forrest River 207BH I had originally.

The model I have now is a Passport Ultra lite 2920BH Grand Touring. You can google it, and I'll see if I can link to the other thread where I have pictures of it hooked to the truck for scale.

EDIT: Best I could do in short order.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-are-you-guys-towing.1768/post-141758

Edit2: found it

6746573F-5D12-4829-8487-32E84D58F1A9.jpeg

Last edited:

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks for the info. At 5350, your dry weight is probably just under what the OP’s fully loaded weight would be. Very impressive that the Ranger is handling your trailer. I still ask the question – what is the realistic max travel trailer weight that the Ranger can safely pull?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Thanks for the info. At 5350, your dry weight is probably just under what the OP’s fully loaded weight would be. Very impressive that the Ranger is handling your trailer. I still ask the question – what is the realistic max travel trailer weight that the Ranger can safely pull?
A 5500# block of concrete on a 2000# trailer would be fine with brakes as long as the tongue weight was within spec.

This was a little squirrely, but still totally doable.(pic)

a travel trailer is a totally different beast than a huge block of concrete or a tractor on a trailer. It could be half as heavy as mine but it’s all about the dimensions, and how the weight is distributed.

72BD0153-3A58-4679-B6A3-7B77944D95FC.jpeg

OP
OP
ControlOnlyYourself
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT / FX4
Just wanted to report back here and thank everyone for there input, opinion, and experience.

I decided to err to the side of caution, to allow for more 'ceiling' to our load, and try to optimize our rig for the rigors of a long haul vacation (and beyond) by down stepping to the TT I just purchased this afternoon. It took some convincing to do that and accepting what I ought over what I (we) wanted but in the end I am feeling SO much more comfortable with this decision.

I landed on the GeoPro 19BH trailer which I was aware of for some time and in my area I have just not seen on a lot available for purchase until I made a call this morning on a whim and found this unit which was purchased but never claimed by the purchaser so they put it back up for sale.

Very excited to pick her up in the coming weeks and start prepping for the springtime excursions!

So where did this land me juxtaposed against the above:

The Camper is an GeoPro 19BH
  • 20’ 2” Bumper to Hitch
  • Dry Weight is listed at 3220 lbs
  • Hitch Weight is listed at 411 lbs
  • GVWR is 4311 lbs
  • I (over) estimated 750 lbs of ’STUFF’
  • *Single Axel
  • 95% of allowable Trailer GVWR *I anticipate sharing the load more with vehicle with reduced size unit to open headroom on this*
  • 76.82% of allowable GCVWR
  • 551 lbs UNDER Tow Vehicle GVWR (Truck + Cargo + Passengers + Hitch Weigh

PXL_20210206_214611261.MP.jpg

PXL_20210206_214629655.MP.jpg