First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
I'm only 2 days into my 2020 Ranger XLT ownership and I'm ready to stick a fork in Android Auto. It's pretty well unusable. Screen isn't responsive, and almost nothing plays without spending several minutes to turn it on and off and ultimately get it playing using the phone instead of the truck screw.

Tried Amazon Music, Google Play Music and Spotify. All of them have similar issues. Google Podcasts has problems too but might be a touch better than the others.

Before I give up on it I was just curious if others are using it fine and whether there's anything I can to do to correct.

I'm on Sync 3, version 3.4, build 19200.
Sponsored

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only 2 days into my 2020 Ranger XLT ownership and I'm ready to stick a fork in Android Auto. It's pretty well unusable. Screen isn't responsive, and almost nothing plays without spending several minutes to turn it on and off and ultimately get it playing using the phone instead of the truck screw.

Tried Amazon Music, Google Play Music and Spotify. All of them have similar issues. Google Podcasts has problems too but might be a touch better than the others.

Before I give up on it I was just curious if others are using it fine and whether there's anything I can to do to correct.

I have Android Auto. I have the occasional issue with bluetooth to were it wont play over the speakers unless I switch it to speaker phone and back to bluetooth. I haven't had issues with youtube music or google play. I would uninstall android auto on your phone and and reinstall. see if that fixes the issue.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4

What model phone are you using? I had a Samsung S7 up until about a month or so ago and it was very laggy and took forever to start. With my new phone (S20) it starts up right away and is actually very usable.

Deleted member 1634

I used Android Auto a few times in the beginning, but my phone just can't handle it and I don't like the interface on the Sync screen. But those are my personal problems. My phone usually crashes just when playing music to the truck via Bluetooth, so it's not the best. Either way, I just don't use Android Auto anymore.

OP
OP
adamodonnell

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
I have Android Auto. I have the occasional issue with bluetooth to were it wont play over the speakers unless I switch it to speaker phone and back to bluetooth. I haven't had issues with youtube music or google play. I would uninstall android auto on your phone and and reinstall. see if that fixes the issue.
I would but I have Android 10 which has Android Auto as a system app so you can't uninstall. ?

OP
OP
adamodonnell

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
I would but I have Android 10 which has Android Auto as a system app so you can't uninstall. ?
I did clear the cache for the app, but it didn't fix it.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I have a base 2020 Lariat -- I have the large center touch screen but don't have nav. I also have a cheap (As in FREE) Smart Phone -- A Samsung Jewel. I also like using Pandora for my music source. So - At 1st I connected my phone to the truck's audio -- SYNC 3.4 via Bluetooth -- And this worked perfectly. Then I researched on how to display a Boost gauge and installed an OBD2 dongle and appropriate app and now have not only a Boost gauge displayed buy a whole host of engine gauges I can select from. At this point I was feeling quite satisfied - Except for nav. Doing a little more research -- Someone recommended Android Auto - For another question I had -- As I wanted to display all my phone's app's on the center screen. Well -- Android App won't quite do this. It will display all the app's that are authorized by Google and Ford. Of all the app's I have on the phone -- Only 2 are authorized by both -- One is Pandora .. .. Which I already was using and the other is Google Maps. GREAT -- As this solved my nav. But -- There's thing to keep in mind for nav -- The phone must be connected to the Smart USB port on the center console for this feature to work. Using just Pandora -- One can connect by Bluetooth or via the USB smart port. Some have stated they are having issues connecting and correctly displaying on the center screen. When I get into the truck with my phone -- The 1st thing I do is hook up the USB cord to the Smart USB port and start the truck. After just a few seconds the truck recognizes the phone and it's hard wired connection and watching the phone is automatically starts Android Auto as the phone's screen has a different display. Then the center console's screen automatically displays the Google map - Of where I currently am at and along the bottom is the Pandora tab - And Pandora automatically starts to play thru the trucks speakers. All this happens without any input on my part. I really like how this all interrogates -- I also can bring up on my phone the OBD2 app and run it which displays the Boost gauge. Then I set the phone in a holder in the tray on the dash. I've now gone one step further -- I now use my 10.5" IPad which I connect to the OBD2 dongle via Bluetooth and it now sits in the phone holder on the dash - Giving me a much larger Boost gauge display. Just remember -- To use Android Auto the phone must connect to the truck via a USB cord to the Smart USB port on the center console. If you have the Lariat -- You will have 2 Smart USB ports .. Either one can be used but keep th
is in mind. If you use another device - Like I use my IPad and want to keep it charged while in the truck .. .. Don't plug it into the spare Smart USB port as you will encounter issues. To solve -- I use a Smart 12v charger plugged into one of the 12v outlets on the center console. Perfect setup and no interference. Long post -- Hope it's of some value. Good Luck !!

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I have a base 2020 Lariat -- I have the large center touch screen but don't have nav. I also have a cheap (As in FREE) Smart Phone -- A Samsung Jewel. I also like using Pandora for my music source. So - At 1st I connected my phone to the truck's audio -- SYNC 3.4 via Bluetooth -- And this worked perfectly. Then I researched on how to display a Boost gauge and installed an OBD2 dongle and appropriate app and now have not only a Boost gauge displayed buy a whole host of engine gauges I can select from. At this point I was feeling quite satisfied - Except for nav. Doing a little more research -- Someone recommended Android Auto - For another question I had -- As I wanted to display all my phone's app's on the center screen. Well -- Android App won't quite do this. It will display all the app's that are authorized by Google and Ford. Of all the app's I have on the phone -- Only 2 are authorized by both -- One is Pandora .. .. Which I already was using and the other is Google Maps. GREAT -- As this solved my nav. But -- There's thing to keep in mind for nav -- The phone must be connected to the Smart USB port on the center console for this feature to work. Using just Pandora -- One can connect by Bluetooth or via the USB smart port. Some have stated they are having issues connecting and correctly displaying on the center screen. When I get into the truck with my phone -- The 1st thing I do is hook up the USB cord to the Smart USB port and start the truck. After just a few seconds the truck recognizes the phone and it's hard wired connection and watching the phone is automatically starts Android Auto as the phone's screen has a different display. Then the center console's screen automatically displays the Google map - Of where I currently am at and along the bottom is the Pandora tab - And Pandora automatically starts to play thru the trucks speakers. All this happens without any input on my part. I really like how this all interrogates -- I also can bring up on my phone the OBD2 app and run it which displays the Boost gauge. Then I set the phone in a holder in the tray on the dash. I've now gone one step further -- I now use my 10.5" IPad which I connect to the OBD2 dongle via Bluetooth and it now sits in the phone holder on the dash - Giving me a much larger Boost gauge display. Just remember -- To use Android Auto the phone must connect to the truck via a USB cord to the Smart USB port on the center console. If you have the Lariat -- You will have 2 Smart USB ports .. Either one can be used but keep th
is in mind. If you use another device - Like I use my IPad and want to keep it charged while in the truck .. .. Don't plug it into the spare Smart USB port as you will encounter issues. To solve -- I use a Smart 12v charger plugged into one of the 12v outlets on the center console. Perfect setup and no interference. Long post -- Hope it's of some value. Good Luck !!
Wow! Everybody needs a 10.5" boost gauge. Impressive techy stuff though. Nice job.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
In landscape mode the gauge measure’s 5.5” to the outer bezel. Perfect size though for my old eyes as on the phone the gauge was a bit hard to see.

17540FC8-FF46-4C3D-82F1-850AF9AAA7A7.jpeg

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1967 SS Camaro
Occupation
Network Administrator
I've been using Android Auto since I bought my truck in Jan and its worked great. I use Spotify, Waze, Audible, etc... The only issue I have seen is when it updates it seems to go back to Google Maps instead of Waze. I'm using an S10.

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport

That sounds very frustrating. I've had a great experience with android auto in the truck - much better than trying to use it in my wife's subaru. Have you tried using a different cable?
I hope you get it working better!

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Probably not a SYNC 3 issue. I would suspect that something is going on with your phone/mobile OS. Someone suggested trying a different cable. Good suggestion. With my iPhone and CarPlay it is mandatory to use a cable that is MFi certified. If a cheapo cable is used results are unpredictable.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Adam brings up a good point -- One that caught me in the beginning. Make sure your USB cable is a data cable and not just a charging cable. Once I realized this on mine -- My connection issue went away.
Sponsored