Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hey Kimball!

So far I’m loving the PowerSteps! No broken ankle.... yet! Phil’s backstory was CRAZY! I figure if you bust your ankle in half getting into your truck.... you probably shouldn’t be driving in the first place! ?

As to your question on the drop distance.... that is probably the biggest feature I (my Wife) loves! Here is a picture from close to the same angle as yours:

10835CE0-6B9A-4376-94E4-F24A52A6407C.jpeg

As you can see, it drops 4-5” lower than your stock step. I’m 5’-9” and have never bashed my head.... Yet!

Hope this helps?
Cheers!
AMP is the perfect height. A nice step up. Not too high, not too low. Wife had hip replacement 9 weeks ago and she can get it. Steps up, turns around, sits down.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey Kimball!

So far I’m loving the PowerSteps! No broken ankle.... yet! Phil’s backstory was CRAZY! I figure if you bust your ankle in half getting into your truck.... you probably shouldn’t be driving in the first place! ?

As to your question on the drop distance.... that is probably the biggest feature I (my Wife) loves! Here is a picture from close to the same angle as yours:

10835CE0-6B9A-4376-94E4-F24A52A6407C.jpeg

As you can see, it drops 4-5” lower than your stock step. I’m 5’-9” and have never bashed my head.... Yet!

Hope this helps?
Cheers!
Hey Bryan, THANK YOU for this picture! That extra drop seals the deal for me. I'll order them shortly.

Anything you wish you would have known/done differently with your install? (that you did not cover above? (I.e., get better LED lights, don't bother with OBD pass through, etc)

Thanks!

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Hey Bryan, THANK YOU for this picture! That extra drop seals the deal for me. I'll order them shortly.

Anything you wish you would have known/done differently with your install? (that you did not cover above? (I.e., get better LED lights, don't bother with OBD pass through, etc)

Thanks!
Kimball; nothing that I can think of. ?

Just take your time; the instructions are not great, but it’s pretty straight forward.

If you run into anything troubling.... let me know and I’ll try to help if I can.
Cheers!
?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Whiter LED's would be nice.
I did Mechanical one day and electrical the next. Breaks it up.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
So, without the OBD Port Splitter, I'll have to unplug the steps any time I need to plug something else into the OBD port, correct? Does that mean the steps just won't trigger open / close while the OBD dongle is unplugged? Can I tap into the factory obd wiring harness so I don't have to have a plug in all the time?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
So, without the OBD Port Splitter, I'll have to unplug the steps any time I need to plug something else into the OBD port, correct? Does that mean the steps just won't trigger open / close while the OBD dongle is unplugged? Can I tap into the factory obd wiring harness so I don't have to have a plug in all the time?
They will not move.
Without motor power the steps could sag down over time since motors will not be held in closed position. I am sure a skilled person might hard wire, but easy to just buy bypass plug.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
...but easy to just buy bypass plug.
Do you recommend I just go with the OBD port splitter that AMP offers? I read above that it does not fit very well in our truck's factory mount holes etc, so some kajiggery will be in order...

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Do you recommend I just go with the OBD port splitter that AMP offers? I read above that it does not fit very well in our truck's factory mount holes etc, so some kajiggery will be in order...
I am able to get mine in and out when needed.
Little tight but 5 seconds max. You will need to secure the extension. Fold cover under wheel down and you can access and wire tie.

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT supercab 4x4 Sport
Occupation
RN
Amp Research Power Steps
PN: 76136-01A

https://www.amp-research.com/powerstep-running-board/2020/ford/ranger

1609798214517.png

So, I found a good price ($1350.00 - shipped) on these online recently (also an additional available $100 rebate).
I ordered them and they arrived today.
My Plan is to install in the morning (Weather permitting - Tennessee)

What I found while reading the instructions is that I need to "trim" 7" off the floor board for the supercab.
I haven't actually had time to completely open and inspect the boards yet, maybe tonight.
What I'm trying to figure out is... what is the best way to "trim" off the material.
Any thoughts?

S5000001.JPG

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Why would you need to trim it? Isn't the wheelbase the same on both the SCrew and SCab? I would think that keeping the length might be beneficial to help access the bed, no?
wheel base is the same... but I'm not sure I want them to go back to the bed.
I guess I'll look a things tomorrow more carefully.

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Well, I guess I didn’t dig deep enough on the World Wide Web. Ended up finding it on YouTube. Goes back several years but the information is just the same. Looks like I need to get some new hacksaw blades.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Might be worth keeping the whole length as a step up to access the bed.

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Might be worth keeping the whole length as a step up to access the bed.
im thinking that stepping on the end towards the bed would not support the weight properly - and potentially bend.
I’ll be getting a new blade or 2 tomorrow and follow the directions
Sponsored